Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Produced Simulations of the Whitechapel Murders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Produced Simulations of the Whitechapel Murders?

The Stride/BS forum has got me again trying to mentally compare theories of what likely happened. Has anyone produced animated simulations of the murders? It would be very interesting to digitally visualize the events leading up to, during and after to support or compare theories if it can be produced respectfully.

The problem with simulations is we only have one witness account of what happened to Stride moments before she was found dead, and that story is not accepted by all students of the case.
    Essentially, what we have is : Schwartz - BS man - Assault - (blank) - Diemschutz discovery.
    Or, Packer - Stride - PC Smith - (blank) - Diemschutz discovery.

In both cases directly before Diemschutz's discovery we do not know what Stride was doing, or who she was with, if anyone.
    Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Filby View Post
      The Stride/BS forum has got me again trying to mentally compare theories of what likely happened. Has anyone produced animated simulations of the murders? It would be very interesting to digitally visualize the events leading up to, during and after to support or compare theories if it can be produced respectfully.
      A few years ago I suggested that one constructive way to take the case forward would be to create an accurate simulation of the scenes of the murders, with accurate street distances, and buildings etc.

This would settle many disputes on the case, eg. the distances involved in the murder of Annie Nichols.

No one seemed to think my idea had any merit, but I still feel that it would be a major advance in the case.

Comment

Originally posted by barnflatwyngarde View Post

A few years ago I suggested that one constructive way to take the case forward would be to create an accurate simulation of the scenes of the murders, with accurate street distances, and buildings etc.

This would settle many disputes on the case, eg. the distances involved in the murder of Annie Nichols.

No one seemed to think my idea had any merit, but I still feel that it would be a major advance in the case.
        If someone could create Victorian Whitechapel using Unreal Engine that would be amazing. We could then actually walk/run around the area and get a real feel for timings etc. Would be amazing using an oculus.

Comment

Originally posted by Tab View Post

If someone could create Victorian Whitechapel using Unreal Engine that would be amazing. We could then actually walk/run around the area and get a real feel for timings etc. Would be amazing using an oculus.
          Actually, RichardH has done amazing work on this, check out his website jtr3d.com https://jtr3d.com

A major problem is in the scarcity of reliable depictions of the scenes.

Comment

I made some attempts to create time line animations, which might be of use. There's a sticky topic, at the top of the Scene of the Crimes sections, where you can find links to the videos. They're not perfect, nor are they presented as the "one and only", but all the same I'm pretty pleased with them on the whole.

- Jeff

Comment

Yes, you've done some great work, Jeff. There's also the articles by Gavin Bromley, Neil Bell and Rob Clack, among others, in the Ripperologist magazine.

Comment

I will state that I thought that Jeff made a real concerted effort to produce accurate simulations as best as he could from the data available.

As others have stated in the Stride case, the witnesses report conflicts with each other. Who arbitrates whose testimony is more accurate?
                Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
                JayHartley.com

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post
                  I will state that I thought that Jeff made a real concerted effort to produce accurate simulations as best as he could from the data available.

As others have stated in the Stride case, the witnesses report conflicts with each other. Who arbitrates whose testimony is more accurate?
                  No one has to decide whom is right or wrong, just would be an interesting addition to consider for those of us who would like to actually see the various opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

I made some attempts to create time line animations, which might be of use. There's a sticky topic, at the top of the Scene of the Crimes sections, where you can find links to the videos. They're not perfect, nor are they presented as the "one and only", but all the same I'm pretty pleased with them on the whole.

- Jeff
                    Oh, thank you! I'll def. take a look.

Comment

Originally posted by Tab View Post

Yes, totally agree. That was my thought is to get an authentic feel for the era, events and time of day etc with different perspectives of the events leading up to the crimes, and after such as projected escape routes etc. Might also help alleviate time discrepancies.

Comment

Yes, totally agree. That was my thought is to get an authentic feel for the era, events and time of day etc with different perspectives of the events leading up to the crimes, and after such as projected escape routes etc. Might also help alleviate time discrepancies.
                        Jeff Hamm has done some simulations.

"The full picture always needs to be given. When this does not happen, we are left to make decisions on insufficient information." - Christer Holmgren

"Unfortunately, when one becomes obsessed by a theory, truth and logic rarely matter." - Steven Blomer

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
                          Actually, RichardH has done amazing work on this, check out his website jtr3d.com https://jtr3d.com

A major problem is in the scarcity of reliable depictions of the scenes.
                          That's what I've been up to for the last few years - trying to recreate the locations for VR.
                          See my website and these links for some of the stuff I've been faffing with:
                          website - https://jtr3d.com
                          YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@canonical5
                          VR Sansar Miller's Court WIP - https://atlas.sansar.com/experiences...ions-6663/no13
                          VR Sansar Mitre Square WIP - https://atlas.sansar.com/experiences...itechapel-1888

It's a lot of hard work - enjoyable - but hard and not many people have VR and so not many visit/use the VR experiences which is a pity.

It would certainly be possible for me to create a complete 3D VR tour of the locations given enough time.

JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
                          JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
                          ---------------------------------------------------
                          JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
                          ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by richardh View Post

That's what I've been up to for the last few years - trying to recreate the locations for VR.
                            See my website and these links for some of the stuff I've been faffing with:
                            website - https://jtr3d.com
                            YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@canonical5
                            VR Sansar Miller's Court WIP - https://atlas.sansar.com/experiences...ions-6663/no13
                            VR Sansar Mitre Square WIP - https://atlas.sansar.com/experiences...itechapel-1888

It's a lot of hard work - enjoyable - but hard and not many people have VR and so not many visit/use the VR experiences which is a pity.

It would certainly be possible for me to create a complete 3D VR tour of the locations given enough time.

These recreations are amazing and help me gather a sense of East End and the perspective of space/time. For instance; The IWEC club locale and size; for some reason I had envisioned it much larger, reasonably a bit of a distance from the murder site. With visualization, it really helps the perspective of how close it actually was, that is was really a rather small building, and changes the whole paradigm on how I think what may have happened.

Comment

Working...
                            X