Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi BJ,

If you accept Cadosch's story as hearing the murder of Chapman then you have to accept that Jack was a risk taker. He stayed in place over Chapman with a potential witness only feet away separated by a fence that the witness had only to look over, and he did this twice. I would rate staying in place during Harvey's short visit the lesser risk.

Cheers, George
    Like the coroner, I used to accept Cadoche's evidence, but I changed my mind recently after looking at all the medical evidence.

And that means the murderer didn't take anything like as big a risk.

Comment

Hi Dave,

I am also interested in your theory, as you know. When can we expect the main course and dessert?

Cheers, George
      I have posted most of it here on Casebook.Not that difficult to search.Recently searched Prosector's posts which was most interesting.44 pages including questions,replies,etc.

Spent over 16 years seeking a suitable screenwriter.Had a bit of bad luck.
      I'd like to get a start on a the script,however my health will not see out the start of production,so the project is not a money thing.
      Major producer has wanted to make a Jack the Ripper movie for a long time.
      That close .... that far.

Thank you and the others who have supported me over the years
      My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

• Originally posted by DJA View Post

I have posted most of it here on Casebook.Not that difficult to search.Recently searched Prosector's posts which was most interesting.44 pages including questions,replies,etc.

Spent over 16 years seeking a suitable screenwriter.Had a bit of bad luck.
        I'd like to get a start on a the script,however my health will not see out the start of production,so the project is not a money thing.
        Major producer has wanted to make a Jack the Ripper movie for a long time.
        That close .... that far.

Thank you and the others who have supported me over the years

Oh Dave I hope that's not as ominous as it sounds?

Helen x

Comment

• Meh.Child of the 1940s.Had a fair innings.

Thanks for your concern.

Comment

• I am genuinely sorry to hear that Dave, sending some positive vibes your way.

Helen x

Comment

• Crikey,thought that was my arthritis playing up

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

Hi George
                Just to clarify the killer would have been able to see Harvey coming down the passage twoards him.

There was a street lamp at the entrance to the passage where the couple were standing and there was a lamp outside Kearley and Tonges. that being said becasue of those lights harvey would not have been able to see into the square giving the killer the advantage and the oportuntity to make good his escape via Mitre Street which is in my opinon the only exit he could have used unseen.

The picture below is one of a number created by Jane Coram which paints a better picture of the Church Passage location and shows the lamp outside Kearley and Tonges

Click image for larger version Name:	church passage Jane Coram.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.7 KB ID:	798387
                I previoulsy posted a re creation of Chutch passage and the lightiing. I came across another image of the actual murder location in Mitre Square and if it was as dark as this in this corner then I have to ask yet again could the killer not had enough time but sufficent light for him to remove the organs.

Now before I get swamped with the statement made by Dr Sequeira who stated there was sufficient light I will clarify that in as much as he made that statement only in relation to the murder and the mutilation when he says it all could have been done in three minutes which is an impossible time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitre Square new 4.png
Views:	356
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	798670

Comment

• Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post

I previoulsy posted a re creation of Chutch passage and the lightiing. I came across another image of the actual murder location in Mitre Square and if it was as dark as this in this corner then I have to ask yet again could the killer not had enough time but sufficent light for him to remove the organs.

Now before I get swamped with the statement made by Dr Sequeira who stated there was sufficient light I will clarify that in as much as he made that statement only in relation to the murder and the mutilation when he says it all could have been done in three minutes which is an impossible time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mitre Square new 4.png
Views:	356
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	798670

You keep repeating that but it’s just not the case Trevor. His 3 minutes including absolutely everything. Leaving out the organ removal would have made absolutely no sense. Why would they possibly have wanted to know just about the murder and mutilations. They were interested in how long the killer might have been in situ therefore everything that he’d done was clearly included in his estimate.
                  Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Meh.Child of the 1940s.Had a fair innings.

Thanks for your concern.
                    Hang in there Bro, there aren't many of us perfect blokes left.
                    They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
                    Out of a misty dream
                    Our path emerges for a while, then closes
                    Within a dream.
                    Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

• Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post

You keep repeating that but it’s just not the case Trevor. His 3 minutes including absolutely everything. Leaving out the organ removal would have made absolutely no sense. Why would they possibly have wanted to know just about the murder and mutilations. They were interested in how long the killer might have been in situ therefore everything that he’d done was clearly included in his estimate.
                      But the killer could not have murdered, mutilated, rifled her pockets cut a piece of apron carefully nicked the eye lids and removed these organs in 3 minutes. As I keep saying Sequeaira gave that interview before the post mortem had been carried out, and you have deliberatly ignored the issue of the lighting at that part of the square for him to be able to clearly see what he was doing which would have been an issue with the loacting of the organs in he first instance.

But this has been gone over more times than I care to think about, the point of posting the image was to show how dark it was likely to have been and with that the problems the killer would have encountered with the organ removals

May I also remind you what Dr Brown stated

“Dr Brown—“The bladder was in no way injured in the body, (eddowes bladder) and I may mention that a man accustomed to remove the portions removed was asked by me to do so as quickly as possible. He accomplished the task in three minutes, but not without injuring the bladder”

I would bet this test was not done under the same conditions as Mitre Square. So we have a victorian medical expert who at speed was not able to repricate fully the killers actions which you are so quick to want to prop up.

And furthermore by Brown instigating this test clearly shows he had concern about the time the killer had with the victim

Comment

• Originally posted by PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR 1 View Post

Like the coroner, I used to accept Cadoche's evidence, but I changed my mind recently after looking at all the medical evidence.

And that means the murderer didn't take anything like as big a risk.
                        Yes, you can't take a risk if you're not there. I actually lean towards a 2-3AM time for the Chapman murder, but one has to keep an open mind.
                        Last edited by GBinOz; 10-31-2022, 12:11 PM.
                        Out of a misty dream
                        Within a dream.

Comment

• These comments are from Prosector, a member and practising surgeon.

"As for the assertion that no 'knife skills' or special knowledge was used in the Eddowes dissection - I utterly refute that and would be happy to debate it sometime when I've got a few hours to spare. The big thing that everyone overlooks in this debate is that in 1888 abdominal surgery was virtually unknown. Sir Frederick Treves performed the first successful appendicectomy in Britain in its present sense in 1887 (and the appendix is very near the surface and therefore relatively easy to get at). Very few surgeons had ever ventured into the depths of the abdomen in 1888 except in a limited way during dissection as medical students (bodies were very difficult to come by - most students only got (and still only get) one body to dissect in their entire career, shared with several others. The bit of colon removed in the Eddowes dissection was the descending colon. This lies behind the posterior peritoneum and in front of the left kidney. It is relatively immobile compared with the rest of the intestines and JTR needed to get it out of the way in order to access the kidney. The fact that it was slightly crudely done is not surprising in the circumstances. I am certain that I could not have done any better, kneeling on the ground, in the dark with a 7 inch knife as my only instrument and no assistants to retract the abdominal flaps and contents. To me and to other surgeons that I have discussed it with like Professor Harold Ellis, it is absolutely staggering that he did what he did to Chapman and Eddowes in such a short time - or at all. Also, don't forget that Bond and others who said that JTR did not display either surgical skill or anatomical knowledge, they were not practicing surgeons. Bond was only the surgeon to Out Patients at the Westminster Hospital and he did not have operating rights. In my view the only one who had the slightest idea of what was involved was Bagster Philips.".
                          Out of a misty dream
                          Within a dream.

Comment

Meh.Child of the 1940s.Had a fair innings.

Thanks for your concern.
                            Well done. Don't always agree on the details, but I support your view on the forest. (Don't get excited, I could be wrong! )

- Jeff

Comment

Yes, you can't take a risk if you're not there. I actually lean towards a 2-3AM time for the Chapman murder, but one has to keep an open mind.

I agree.

I think (because I have difficulty finding my own posts) I estimated at or before 2.30, which is about the middle of your estimate.

MacNaghten estimated 5.28, based on Cadoche.

The coroner was in an unenviable position but, after clashing with the doctor, he was unlikely to reject the eyewitness testimony, which was obviously wrong.

Long was obviously wrong even if Cadoche had been right.

Comment

These comments are from Prosector, a member and practising surgeon.

"As for the assertion that no 'knife skills' or special knowledge was used in the Eddowes dissection - I utterly refute that and would be happy to debate it sometime when I've got a few hours to spare. The big thing that everyone overlooks in this debate is that in 1888 abdominal surgery was virtually unknown. Sir Frederick Treves performed the first successful appendicectomy in Britain in its present sense in 1887 (and the appendix is very near the surface and therefore relatively easy to get at). Very few surgeons had ever ventured into the depths of the abdomen in 1888 except in a limited way during dissection as medical students (bodies were very difficult to come by - most students only got (and still only get) one body to dissect in their entire career, shared with several others. The bit of colon removed in the Eddowes dissection was the descending colon. This lies behind the posterior peritoneum and in front of the left kidney. It is relatively immobile compared with the rest of the intestines and JTR needed to get it out of the way in order to access the kidney. The fact that it was slightly crudely done is not surprising in the circumstances. I am certain that I could not have done any better, kneeling on the ground, in the dark with a 7 inch knife as my only instrument and no assistants to retract the abdominal flaps and contents. To me and to other surgeons that I have discussed it with like Professor Harold Ellis, it is absolutely staggering that he did what he did to Chapman and Eddowes in such a short time - or at all. Also, don't forget that Bond and others who said that JTR did not display either surgical skill or anatomical knowledge, they were not practicing surgeons. Bond was only the surgeon to Out Patients at the Westminster Hospital and he did not have operating rights. In my view the only one who had the slightest idea of what was involved was Bagster Philips.".
                                Henry Gawen Sutton and Sir Frederick Treves both worked at the London Hospital.
                                Last edited by DJA; 10-31-2022, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X