This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Hamm's Timeline Animations of Crime Scenes

I'm not sure where to put this, but could administration seriously consider adding Jeff new timeline animation for Buck's Row to the site, if it's possible? I know there used to be one on site, not sure if it's still there, but this has more detail to it.

This shows a recreation of the movements of people involved in the murder and discovery of Polly Nichols in 1888. I consider one idea with regards to how sh...
    dustymiller
    aka drstrange

This is great. I love it. Really helps visualisation and understanding of the events, people locations, and times during the murder.
    JtRmap.com<< JtR Interactive Map
    JtRmap FORM << Use this form to make suggestions for map annotations
    ---------------------------------------------------
    JtR3d.com << JtR 3D & #VR Website
    ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Yes, it’s excellent. A couple of small quibbles:

The map is out of focus and, a real nitpicky one, it’s Winthrop Street not Winthorp. That’s an easy mistake to make, I saw both spellings on a single electoral register entry yesterday.

Where is the thinking these days about whether Thain popped into the knacker’s yard on his way to fetch Llewellyn?

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
        I'm not sure where to put this, but could administration seriously consider adding Jeff new timeline animation for Buck's Row to the site, if it's possible? I know there used to be one on site, not sure if it's still there, but this has more detail to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDZ422tMiWg
        Fascinating stuff. Thanks for sharing and thanks Jeff for producing!
        Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

A question for Jeff: at what speed do you have the killer leaving the crime scene and just narrowly missing Neil?

Comment

Originally posted by MrBarnett View Post
            Yes, it’s excellent. A couple of small quibbles:

The map is out of focus and, a real nitpicky one, it’s Winthrop Street not Winthorp. That’s an easy mistake to make, I saw both spellings on a single electoral register entry yesterday.

Where is the thinking these days about whether Thain popped into the knacker’s yard on his way to fetch Llewellyn?
            Oops, my error on the pronunciation, sorry about that. The program I use rescales the image file to fit in the screen, and that makes the quality of the image poor. To get a good focus on the map, and to cover an area large enough to include Cross/Lechmere's home, either the map would go off screen, or I have to shrink it, in which case the image quality degrades. I opted to show the larger area.

- Jeff

Comment

A question for Jeff: at what speed do you have the killer leaving the crime scene and just narrowly missing Neil?
              From what I can gather from the animation it would appear around 3.31am. This would suggest the murder and mutilation lasted around 2-3 minutes?

I have to say this is fascinating to watch, great work Jeff. I would be also interested to see if this would be possible to replicate for any other of the crime scenes, in particular Stride and Eddowes?
              Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
              JayHartley.com

Comment

I've got him walking at 3.2 mph (i.e. trying to not draw attention to himself/reduce noise, etc). I've not looked at him running (6.1 mph). The number of variations one could come up with for just that scenerio are pretty large, and as I say, it's a curiosity. While what I show "works", that doesn't mean any of what I had there is true, only that it is a plausible sequence (the dramatic one could be pushing things I agree). I'm not suggesting "this is what happened", it's only one of the many ideas that could have happened.

- Jeff

Comment

Thanks for your two responses, Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

From what I can gather from the animation it would appear around 3.31am. This would suggest the murder and mutilation lasted around 2-3 minutes?

I have to say this is fascinating to watch, great work Jeff. I would be also interested to see if this would be possible to replicate for any other of the crime scenes, in particular Stride and Eddowes?
                    Hi,

I've been working on both of those. In the "Jack's Escape from Mitre Square" thread, the opening post shows a version I did years ago. At that time I didn't have a way to make the video, so the first post shows one map with 1 minute interval plotting of positions. It's a mess, though, and not the best way to show the information. I've worked on the program since then, and will try and reproduce that one and create a video as well if people think it would be worth while. But, if you can read it (and I admit, it is shockingly bad), it can be found here: https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...are#post708544

The Stride case is another I've been working on. It's the most complicated because of how many people there are, which means we're dealing with a lot of different "clocks". I've spelled out, in a rather lengthy post, what I've come up with and how with regards to the time line of events, with all the times indicated adjusted to Dr. Blackwell's watch (what I call "Blackwell Standard Time" or BST), which I explain. Again, I've tried to make as few judgement calls (another word for assumption) as possible to see how things fit together, so obviously not everyone will agree with those as I could be wrong. I need to double check some details, as well (at one point I had misremembered Brown as going to the Commercial end of Buck's Row for his supper not the Fairclough end, for example, which makes a big difference obviously).

Anyway, here's a link to the post where I go through how I constructed the timeline and what was produced. Since then, I replicated the whole thing (remeasured all the distances, etc) and while the exact times change (each time you measure a distance on the maps, you will get a different value because you won't click exactly the same pixel each time you measure something), the same thing emerges.

The Schwartz discussion rages on. But if it were shown conclusively that he did in fact lie what does that tell us about Stride's death and whether or not she was killed by the Ripper? Does it confirm a club conspiracy? Keep in mind that according to Schwartz Stride was still alive when he left the scene. c.d.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

Oh, and yes, the murder in the simulation is set to require 3 minutes. I went with this because it would require something like 2 minutes to strangle her to death (lack of arterial spray suggests she was dead when he cut her throat), and to cut her throat twice and then slash her abdomen 10-12 times shouldn't take more than a minute I would think. There was no internal exploration after all. But of course, how long is unknown, so there's no need to accept what I employed.

- Jeff

Comment

Anyway, I think the "Announcements" area might not be the right place for further discussion. I'm more than happy to answer any questions about the simulations, and the reasoning I used if I had to make a call on something. Also, if I've made a mistake, and have mislocated something, or overlooked an important statement, etc, that too is welcomed. Of course, it might be the case that we just interpret imprecise wordings differently, like "about x o'clock" or "a short while", etc. In those situations, I reserve the right to retain my own interpretation (simply because it can sometimes be rather fiddly to adjust things for the sake of a minute or two), but I'm happy to discuss different opinions on these things as well.

- Jeff

Comment

I moved this thread to ‘Scenes of the Crimes’.

Let’s keep ‘Casebook Announcements’ for Board News only.

Thanks

JM

Comment

Hi Jeff, Good work. Are you aware of the following thread? Some of the discussion is relevant to your simulation:

PC Neil's Route - Casebook: Jack the Ripper Forums

Monty informs us that, by regulation, PCs on the nightshift aimed to walk at a speed of 3.0 miles per hour (as opposed to 2.5/hr during the day).

One estimate suggests that Neil's route would have taken about 24 minutes to complete, based on this rate; the 'missing' six minutes would be due to stops along the way to check specific buildings, etc.,

How this would influence you simulation, if at all, I cannot say.

Comment

In my ideal world I'd love to see a combination of Jeff and Richard's animations.

Sorry JM, I looked around for a thread that would get an admin attention and I wasn't sure where to go.
                              dustymiller
                              aka drstrange

Comment

Working...
                              X