Respectable Pub in Whitechapel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by poliwog View Post

Not all of the folks in Whitechapel (and environs) slept in four-penny beds and drank Pseudo-Ale composed entirely of various toxic adulterants. I am just looking for a reasonably clean workman's pub where my Inspector can meet the Irishman who knew the victim.
    If you look at a Booth poverty map, you'll often see that the main roads are considered respectable, while the houses behind them are categorised as poverty-stricken and full of vice.

Myself, I'd see if somewhere that looked nice in an old photo was given a good colour by Booth. I daresay there are bits of his maps all over this site...

M.

Comment

... I am just looking for a reasonably clean workman's pub where my Inspector can meet the Irishman who knew the victim.
      Have a look at the better areas shown here...

Click image for larger version

Name:	booth poverty_map 1889.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	776015

M.

Comment

I am familiar with the "poverty maps", and had a suitable candidate not emerged, I would have invented one in the "better" areas.

Comment

Not all of the folks in Whitechapel (and environs) slept in four-penny beds and drank Pseudo-Ale composed entirely of various toxic adulterants. I am just looking for a reasonably clean workman's pub where my Inspector can meet the Irishman who knew the victim.
          Point remains depends on what you define as respectable. I would imagine that the majority of the pubs in the area would be frequented by both local working people and the less well off. I think you would have to go a little further west for a more up-market establishment.
          Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Hello to all.

I am writing a story set in Whitechapel three years after the Ripper crimes. I am looking to set a scene in a more-or-less respectable pub not too terribly far from "Flowery Dean St." Does anyone know of such?

Many thanks
            Les
            Probably too late now, as I have just seen this post, but I would suggest naming the pub The Egg & Penguin. It's what I named my small meadery in tribute to the unusual pub names I saw on a previous visit to England. "The Egg" and "Penguin" are the nicknames of my sons.

Comment

Working...
            X