Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Respectable Pub in Whitechapel?

Hello to all.

I am writing a story set in Whitechapel three years after the Ripper crimes. I am looking to set a scene in a more-or-less respectable pub not too terribly far from "Flowery Dean St." Does anyone know of such?

Many thanks
    Les

Originally posted by poliwog View Post
    Hello to all.

I am writing a story set in Whitechapel three years after the Ripper crimes. I am looking to set a scene in a more-or-less respectable pub not too terribly far from "Flowery Dean St." Does anyone know of such?

Many thanks
    Les
    Respectable pub in east end 1890s that’s a tricky one!!

Comment

I was thinking the same. You might struggle with that one Les.
      Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
        Of course, I have the writer's privilege of inventing one, as I have invented an Inspector, two Constables and an Irishman. I might consult the Poverty Maps and find a location.

Comment

I’m sure that there’s someone on here who’s done some research and has some familiarity with the pubs who might be able to point you in the right direction Les. Good luck with the search.
          Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

I'd use "The Grave Maurice" purely for it's great name.
            Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by Al Bundy's Eyes View Post
              I'd use "The Grave Maurice" purely for it's great name.
              There’s a poster called The Grave Maurice but he hasn’t posted for a couple of years.
              Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

Comment

Originally posted by poliwog View Post

Of course, I have the writer's privilege of inventing one, as I have invented an Inspector, two Constables and an Irishman. I might consult the Poverty Maps and find a location.
                The Commercial Tavern probably best bet the pub frequented by police around that time

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                  Indeed H

Comment

Thinking of using the 10 Bells, and upgrading it just a bit because the "swells" were stopping there for "slumming" and on account of Mary Kelly and all. I don't need Belgravia.

Comment

"The Still & the Star", at the end of Blood Alley (Harrow), just off Aldgate-High Street. Full of hard-working butchers, barbers, tailors -- mostly family men. Only a few minutes walk from "Flowery Dean" Street." There's a photo of the alley entrance in Jack London's "People of the Abyss." (first spotted by Robert Clack)

Comment

Hi Scott. The pub still stands (slated for demolition last I knew), but has been shut for a few years. It's a shame because it really was a hidden gem. I'd been frequenting the East End for years before I was introduced to it.

Comment

Te Still and the Star it will be. Thanks very much to all.

Comment

Depends on what you mean by respectable? I would imagine all the local pubs were full of, you guested it, locals!
                            Best wishes,

Tristan

Comment

Originally posted by Losmandris View Post
                              Depends on what you mean by respectable? I would imagine all the local pubs were full of, you guested it, locals!
                              Not all of the folks in Whitechapel (and environs) slept in four-penny beds and drank Pseudo-Ale composed entirely of various toxic adulterants. I am just looking for a reasonably clean workman's pub where my Inspector can meet the Irishman who knew the victim.

Comment

Working...
                              X