Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why The Top Hat and Cape Wouldn't Work In Real Life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why The Top Hat and Cape Wouldn't Work In Real Life?

I'm making a video which involves arguing against this depiction. I need help in determining if these objections are reasonable...

The popular image of Jack the Ripper is of a shadowy figure, dressed in gentleman's clothes, a long cloak, and a top hat.

But that's only a myth. Why?

Well, I've heard a number of reasons why he wouldn't have been able to wear such an upper-class outfit.

1) People with money would've preferred West End prostitutes. They wouldn't have gone to the East End.

2) These clothes would've drawn suspicion to him.

3) Prostitutes wouldn't have trusted him.

4) He would've been caught.

How did this image come into being?
    "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Actually I know I've read how some people with money did frequent the East End for prostitutes because no one knew them there. But the main reasons why a cape and top hat wouldn't have worked for the Ripper are because he wouldn't have been able to blend in while moving about and making his escapes, and because it would have made him bait for muggers.

Comment

Originally posted by kensei View Post
      Actually I know I've read how some people with money did frequent the East End for prostitutes because no one knew them there. But the main reasons why a cape and top hat wouldn't have worked for the Ripper are because he wouldn't have been able to blend in while moving about and making his escapes, and because it would have made him bait for muggers.
      Thank you, this is exactly the kind of help I needed.

Ok, so I can cross off #1, then.
      "You want to take revenge for my murdered sister? Sister would definitely have not ... we would not have wanted you to be like this."

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Indeed, there is talk of upper class gentlemen 'slumming it' in the east end for a night with the local working girls, not only because they would not have to worry about being recognised but also for a slightly immoral, vicarious thrill. It has never been proved to my knowledge, however, quite how widespread this practice was - and there are several books etc that are guilty of overplaying the angle. Whatever the truth, I think in almost all the cases if and when it did happen, the 'gentleman' in question would have dressed down for the occasion; largely for safety reasons but who knows maybe it also added to the attraction. Not that such attempts at disguise would necessarily have been entirely succesful - 'People of the Abyss' comes to mind, in which Jack London buys what he thinks are the most wretched clothes he has ever seen in order to blend in to the area, only to be complimented on his fine dress whilst walking along the Mile End Road!

A top-hatted 'Jack' would therefore have stood out a mile, and with all the usual caveats about eye-witness testimony I think is is fair to say there is a good chance someone would have mentioned seeing such a character, and of course if you believe one or more of the witness descriptions we do have then it goes without saying that none of them fit. More than anything though, it just doesn't make sense - why would a murderer want to draw extra attention to himself? The whole 'Jack the toff' idea seems to have been founded on the misapprehension that an upper-class man could have evaded justice easier (ala Gull, Druitt, Stephen, Prince Eddie - can you see where this is going?); and while it may be true that class would have brought certain priviledges with the investigators, it wouldn't have rendered you invisible in the streets of Whitechapel etc if you were dressed accordingly - quite the opposite.

Over and above the dangers of being spotted in relation to the murder enquiries, it would also be a pretty unsafe practice in terms of simple self-preservation. Look at Thomas Sadler's statement to see the likely fate of someone dressed as if he had money walking down Flower and Dean St after dark. And Sadler was a sailor wearing his one pair of clothes! If that was enough to get you marked as a target for robbery, a hat and cape would be tantamount to suicide. Hutchison's 'Astrakhan Man' is another place you will find a lot of similar points being discussed - although with all the usual health disclaimers that should go with mentioned Mr H!

As it happens MR I am currently working on a documentary of my own, obviously its up to you but if you are willing to share any details of your film I would be very interested to hear more about it and to help in any way I can.

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post
          As it happens MR I am currently working on a documentary of my own, obviously its up to you but if you are willing to share any details of your film I would be very interested to hear more about it and to help in any way I can.
          Thank you very much.

Ah, you're making a documentary? That's excellent! I would love to hear more about it.

I'm not at that level yet. I have plenty of ideas, I'm just saving them until I get better equipment.

My project is actually a four to nine-minute review of Jack the Ripper costumes. I'll be posting it on youtube once I finish it.

It's partially me disproving the iconic depiction of the Whitechapel killer and partially a customer commentary.

It's kind of difficult explaining the video, I'm still planning it out. Hopefully, however, it'll prove enlightening and entertaining.

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

I would have thought that the top hat & coat image of JTR is largely thanks to films and fictional descriptions that have been given of him. It is more of a generalisation about Victorian men's clothing than a likely image of the killer.

Don't forget the old black gladstone bag either! Aside from what everyone has already mentioned about this, it's worthwhile considering as well that in making his escape, he would have been hindered by wearing such clothing, or carrying the bag. It would have slowed him down, lessened his agility and ability to hide should he see a policeman coming, for example.

Also, top hats were the most popular in the middle of the 19th century. By 1888, no doubt they were still very popular but not so much as they once had been. I've read in the past that apparently it worked something like, the higher the top hat on the man's head, the more affluent he was in society. They were used to draw attention to yourself. Not what Jack would have wanted.

Other than that, can only agree with what's already been said.....best of luck to you for the documentary you're working on! Sounds good!

Cheers,
            Adam.

Comment

You said it all pretty well there Adam.

Madam (Madam and Adam...this is going to get as confusing as the Goulston Street Graffiti thread where we had Trevor [Mariott] and Trevor [me]!) - that sounds like an excellent idea. Part of the motivation behind my documentary is a little bit of myth-busting, and while the whole costume idea is not one that had crossed my mind it sounds an excellent idea.

It is not about being at 'levels' - God knows I am WAY below the level of many on here, Adam included for example - but the internet is a wonderfully democratising medium and with a bit of imagination anyone can turn the lack of mass commercial distribution to their advantage in allowing them to explore more 'leftfield' angles than are commonly addressed - such as you are doing. My documentary is internet only too, as it happens.

If you want to PM me any drafts of your script or just for a pointer or to run ideas past someone else, feel free. You sound like you know where you're going though, and as I say it sounds good. Good luck!

Comment

Hello you all!

Well, when we think about the descprition of the astrakhan man, a Top Hat and a Cape would have been described even better!

All the best
                Jukka
                "When I know all about everything, I am old. And it's a very, very long way to go!"

Comment

Not sure if you've seen this page before or not, but this link might be of some interest and help to you as well.....

Cheers,
                  Adam.

Comment

You said it all pretty well there Adam.

Madam (Madam and Adam...this is going to get as confusing as the Goulston Street Graffiti thread where we had Trevor [Mariott] and Trevor [me]!) - that sounds like an excellent idea. Part of the motivation behind my documentary is a little bit of myth-busting, and while the whole costume idea is not one that had crossed my mind it sounds an excellent idea.

It is not about being at 'levels' - God knows I am WAY below the level of many on here, Adam included for example - but the internet is a wonderfully democratising medium and with a bit of imagination anyone can turn the lack of mass commercial distribution to their advantage in allowing them to explore more 'leftfield' angles than are commonly addressed - such as you are doing. My documentary is internet only too, as it happens.

If you want to PM me any drafts of your script or just for a pointer or to run ideas past someone else, feel free. You sound like you know where you're going though, and as I say it sounds good. Good luck!

Hurhur, Madam...Adam....

Thank you. <3 I see these costumes all over the place and figured, hey, why not let the general public know they're getting ripped off.

Especially by this one, which is $99!!!

Mine was only $20 more and it looked magnificiently better! (A picture of it is on my profile picture.)

Thank you for the offer, I greatly appreciate it. I haven't even started the script yet, I've mostly been working out the rough edges of the video. I should start soon, though.

Not sure if you've seen this page before or not, but this link might be of some interest and help to you as well.....

http://www.victorianamagazine.com/ar...ashion-history

Cheers,
                    Adam.
                    I've never seen this before, so thank you extremely much!

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Hey MR!

Yes, Madam Adam....and "Went, where did he go!?"....heard it all before. Those jokes were pretty popular in about 1994. lol.

Glad you like the Victoriana site, it's definitely a beauty....you can subscribe to daily updates on there as well. It's filled with interesting stuff.

Cheers,
                      Adam.

Comment

Adam - Try having the surname 'Bond' in the UK!

MR- that costume is truly awful! From the gratuitous goatee beard (not all that popular in the LVP from what I've read!) to the pinstripe 'city-boy does casual' trousers and the tiny knife...hmmm...and is it my screen or is there a blue tint to the hair?

I honestly had no idea this stuff was out there to this level. As a study in the odd 'influence' of JTR into the public conscience this could be fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by tnb View Post
                          Adam - Try having the surname 'Bond' in the UK!

MR- that costume is truly awful! From the gratuitous goatee beard (not all that popular in the LVP from what I've read!) to the pinstripe 'city-boy does casual' trousers and the tiny knife...hmmm...and is it my screen or is there a blue tint to the hair?

I honestly had no idea this stuff was out there to this level. As a study in the odd 'influence' of JTR into the public conscience this could be fascinating.
                          Whoa! I bet you never hear the end of it! Am I right?

Yeah, that's the worst one I found. And so expensive! It's utter nonsense! I could get this at a joke shop for maybe 10 dollars.

It's quite fascinating, indeed.

I could use some help, though. I'm looking for more examples of Ripper costumes. Any ideas?

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

He probably looked like a slightly shabbier-dressed version of this dude:

Cheers,
                            cappuccina

"Don't make me get my flying monkeys!"

Comment

Originally posted by cappuccina View Post
                              He probably looked like a slightly shabbier-dressed version of this dude:

Thanks!

~ Angelina Durless

Comment

Working...
                              X