google earth II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no apology necessary

As far as I can remember all cop shops stem from maps. I will investigate further and remedy the discrepancies. Thank You. Dave
    We are all born cute as a button and dumb as rocks. We grow out of cute fast!

Comment

• Colin was absolutely correct. The refined Bishposgate plot is below. I will redouble my efforts as I assume he is correct about my performance as well. Thank You, Colin. Dave
      Attached Files

Comment

• and in relation to the murder district

The new station in relation to the killing field. Dave
        Attached Files

Comment

• a link

Here are the bacon maps in the form of a KMZ file. Dave

Comment

• Chicksand Street

Hi,

any chance of an overlay showing location at 5 Chicksand Street and 163 High St Road Whitechapel as it was in 1888.
            Having difficulty locating the house numbers on current maps of Whitechapel.

regards
            Eileen

Comment

• Bacon atlas does not got down to addy level, hold one sec and I will try and find the area. Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by wolfie1 View Post
                Hi,

any chance of an overlay showing location at 5 Chicksand Street and 163 High St Road Whitechapel as it was in 1888.

regards
                Eileen
                Here is Chicksand. If you have a cross street and a direction off the intersection I could get closer, but this gives you the level of detail. The Goad fire insurance maps go to much greater detail but they are $100 a pop and I do not yet have a renenue stream, as I just graduated and have no job. Let me know if I can be of further help, particularly if you have the cross streets and directions because I have no street addys on these maps. Dave
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                  Here is Chicksand. If you have a cross street and a direction off the intersection I could get closer, but this gives you the level of detail. The Goad fire insurance maps go to much greater detail but they are $100 a pop and I do not yet have a renenue stream, as I just graduated and have no job. Let me know if I can be of further help, particularly if you have the cross streets and directions because I have no street addys on these maps. Dave
                  Thank you
                  Would the building numbers map out today as it would have been in 1888, as I am seeking number 5 Chicksand street, it could only be found at either end of the street.
                  same with High St. has the numbering been altered since 1888, can it be done via landmarking surviving buildings of the era?

Comment

Hi,

regards
                    Eileen
                    163 Whitechapel High Street is between Brady Street and Cambridge Street on this map. I supect on the North Side of the Street. There is no listing in the 1888 directory for either location. Dave
                    Attached Files

Comment

• 5 chicksand

5 would be in the stretch where the PL is in Osborne Place. The directory( or my reading of it) does not tell me North or South side. Dave
                      Attached Files

Comment

Thank you
                        Would the building numbers map out today as it would have been in 1888, as I am seeking number 5 Chicksand street, it could only be found at either end of the street.
                        same with High St. has the numbering been altered since 1888, can it be done via landmarking surviving buildings of the era?
                        As far as know they do not. The addressing protocols have changed. I know they used to run concurrently and now run in odds and evens ( know from a podcast...Wandering the East End). Dave

Comment

• Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
                          5 would be in the stretch where the PL is in Osborne Place. The directory( or my reading of it) does not tell me North or South side. Dave
                          Thank you.
                          just out of interest what is the square building on the left side of Chicksand street, is it a school ?

Comment

• this one?

The Whitechapel Church Ragged School.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• see also

The humyo thread

Comment

• These are all very impressive and indeed very helpful.....considering when I was in Whitechapel I could not find anything related to JtR....this is mainly because I turned left out of Whitechapel Station toward Stepney Green instead of right towardsw Commercial Street and the middle of Whitechapel. There is always next time, and I'm sure these composite maps will come in handy!! Especially since it gives the overlay of some of the sites that no longer exist! :-) Great work guys!!

Comment

Working...
                                X