I feel good

Like I knew that I would now! Witness James Brown. Dave
    Attached Files
    Last edited by protohistorian; 07-13-2010, 07:05 PM. Reason: wrong pic

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    a new line of endeavor

Because I have the retention of a wet towel, and because casebook is chock full of material for learning this case, I have decided to revive this thread with items from the wiki section that could benefit from having a geographic representation. Dave

Item 1 is the knife found by Thomas Coram, 12:30am 1 oct 1888.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by protohistorian; 07-13-2010, 06:48 PM. Reason: attachment

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    a possibly fruitful avenue of investigation

I have been cautioned by someone whose opinion I rather respect that this is probably a blind alley of investigation. However, I have poor impulse control and thought the community should be made aware of something. Here are known beats and the murder district as I understand them. It hardly seems a complete body of knowledge to me. Dave
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    Finally!

I just finished laying in the witnesses listed on CB! For those of you that think there is not a lot of data I have included a snap of just the ones not associated with a location. Places like Dutfields Yard have seperate icons and multiple wiki page links imbedded. Keep digging, once I get some rest I will resume with something, and on that note I am taking suggestions. Dave
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    Thank You Yimmit

I am glad they helped! Dave

Leave a comment:

• Yimmit
    replied
    These are all very impressive and indeed very helpful.....considering when I was in Whitechapel I could not find anything related to JtR....this is mainly because I turned left out of Whitechapel Station toward Stepney Green instead of right towardsw Commercial Street and the middle of Whitechapel. There is always next time, and I'm sure these composite maps will come in handy!! Especially since it gives the overlay of some of the sites that no longer exist! :-) Great work guys!!

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    see also

The humyo thread

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    this one?

The Whitechapel Church Ragged School.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• wolfie1
    replied
    Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
    5 would be in the stretch where the PL is in Osborne Place. The directory( or my reading of it) does not tell me North or South side. Dave
    Thank you.
    just out of interest what is the square building on the left side of Chicksand street, is it a school ?

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    Originally posted by wolfie1 View Post
    Thank you
    Would the building numbers map out today as it would have been in 1888, as I am seeking number 5 Chicksand street, it could only be found at either end of the street.
    same with High St. has the numbering been altered since 1888, can it be done via landmarking surviving buildings of the era?
    As far as know they do not. The addressing protocols have changed. I know they used to run concurrently and now run in odds and evens ( know from a podcast...Wandering the East End). Dave

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    5 chicksand

5 would be in the stretch where the PL is in Osborne Place. The directory( or my reading of it) does not tell me North or South side. Dave
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    Hi,

any chance of an overlay showing location at 5 Chicksand Street and 163 High St Road Whitechapel as it was in 1888.
    Having difficulty locating the house numbers on current maps of Whitechapel.

regards
    Eileen
    163 Whitechapel High Street is between Brady Street and Cambridge Street on this map. I supect on the North Side of the Street. There is no listing in the 1888 directory for either location. Dave
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• wolfie1
    replied
    Originally posted by protohistorian View Post
    Here is Chicksand. If you have a cross street and a direction off the intersection I could get closer, but this gives you the level of detail. The Goad fire insurance maps go to much greater detail but they are $100 a pop and I do not yet have a renenue stream, as I just graduated and have no job. Let me know if I can be of further help, particularly if you have the cross streets and directions because I have no street addys on these maps. Dave
    Thank you
    Would the building numbers map out today as it would have been in 1888, as I am seeking number 5 Chicksand street, it could only be found at either end of the street.
    same with High St. has the numbering been altered since 1888, can it be done via landmarking surviving buildings of the era?

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    Hi,

any chance of an overlay showing location at 5 Chicksand Street and 163 High St Road Whitechapel as it was in 1888.
    Having difficulty locating the house numbers on current maps of Whitechapel.

regards
    Eileen
    Here is Chicksand. If you have a cross street and a direction off the intersection I could get closer, but this gives you the level of detail. The Goad fire insurance maps go to much greater detail but they are $100 a pop and I do not yet have a renenue stream, as I just graduated and have no job. Let me know if I can be of further help, particularly if you have the cross streets and directions because I have no street addys on these maps. Dave
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• protohistorian
    replied
    Bacon atlas does not got down to addy level, hold one sec and I will try and find the area. Dave

Leave a comment:

Working...
X