No announcement yet.

The Ten Bells

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The last time I went I took a piccie inside which I think I have posted. The girl behind the bar was very helpful and talked about knwing it was a hang out for the ripper victims. I asked if it was ok for me to take the piccy as my cousin was doing her coursework on JtR. She said it was fine and that they get a lot of people coming to see it and taking pics. She did say she was pleased I had asked as so many people just take them.
    In order to know virtue, we must first aquaint ourselves with vice!

Comment

Originally posted by Observer View Post
      [ATTACH]4031[/ATTACH]

The Ten Bells, Scuse the converging verticals had to use wide angle lens.

all the best

Observer
      It has plenty of rooms upstairs. Do they offer accomodation ?
      It was Bury whodunnit. The black eyed scoundrel.

The yam yams are the men, who won't be blamed for nothing..

Comment

Mmm...always assumed it was same building. The landlords in the early 1990s told me it used to be more square than rectangular, and it had partitions leading off from the bar which has always been where it was. I remember the makeshift loos on the right,now done away with, and of course the infamous ripper board by the window. I always feel a bit self conscious going in for a drink nowadays!

Comment

I think we have two threads with the same name here. One started by Chava and the other by me. Anyway...

I believe the pub is essentially the same building, but it appears to have been altered in the early 1890s, giving it the angled corner entrance we know now. A bit of 'refronting', as they say.

Interior-wise, yes, the upstairs loos have gone and the raised area too. It's a much simpler layout. The bar has always been where it is now as long as I've been going there, but 23 years is not long in the history of the Ten Bells!

Comment

So if the ten bells is trying to move away from it's ripper past, does anyone know what's happened to the victims board they used to display ?

Comment

My grandfather was an amature artist He often did drawings and paintings from memory. One day we where looking at a painting he did of the houses in the neighborhood where he lived for over 40 years. In the painting he had placed a few of the houses in the wrong order, meaning the house that should have been second from the corner was fourth and the fourth from the corner was second. Getting to the point here could it be that the artist that drew the sketch was drawing from memory and simply got it backwards.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by smezenen; 05-22-2009, 06:20 AM.
              'Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO, What a Ride!'

Comment

Originally posted by SDC View Post
                So if the ten bells is trying to move away from it's ripper past, does anyone know what's happened to the victims board they used to display ?
                The victims board used to be on the outside of the pub when it was the 'Jack the Ripper' (1975-88) and I believe there were two originally. One facing Commercial Street and one facing Christchurch. The latter was removed at a later date.

The remaining sign was removed in 1988 and was placed on the wall inside, where it stayed for ages. Several years ago it was turned round so the names were facing the wall and about 2 years ago, the board disappeared altogether. Where it is now is anybody's guess, but I bet it's not in the pub - it was way too big to hike up the little stairs.

I would ask a member of staff where it went, but they are so aloof at times that I'd probably get no useful answer, even if they knew.

Comment

Hi John

Is that correct re: it was called the Jack the Ripper pub 1975-88 ?

I am positive it was called the Jack the Ripper pub when I went in the early 90`s. The bar was partitioned off, with the wall behind you with the victims board upon it, as you faced the bar.

I remember being disapointed that it wasn`t called the Ten Bells, as I wanted a photo of the Ten Bells sign.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                    Hi John

Is that correct re: it was called the Jack the Ripper pub 1975-88 ?

I am positive it was called the Jack the Ripper pub when I went in the early 90`s. The bar was partitioned off, with the wall behind you with the victims board upon it, as you faced the bar.

I remember being disapointed that it wasn`t called the Ten Bells, as I wanted a photo of the Ten Bells sign.
                    I'm 110% certain, Jon. It was reopened as the 'JTR' on April 30th 1975 and renamed the 'Ten Bells' in the first half of 1988, certainly before the anniversary dates of the murders. The memorabilia remained for many years after. You're certainly right about the 'partitioned' bar area.

Comment

I was first in the Ten Bells in Sept 1994.
                      It was again the Ten Bells at that time but still selling the JTR pub t-shirts.
                      The bartender was friendly but didn't know much of the history but he did say the name was changed back because of complaints about the name.
                      The next time I went it had changed to a "gentlemens" club with dancing ladies. But that's a different story for another time.

Tom
                      Last edited by wisfisher; 05-27-2009, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                        I'm 110% certain, Jon.
                        Cheers John. Crikey!! I`ve lost ten years somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Guy View Post
                          Cheers John. Crikey!! I`ve lost ten years somewhere.
                          That'll be too many evenings down the "Jack the Ripper"

Comment

Blast from the past

Here's a screenshot from the 1988 documentary 'Shadow of the Ripper', inside the 'Ten Bells'. Personally I can't ever remember a piano player, so its possibly a set up, but I do remember the original loos in the background and the little red sign at the top of the bar. It's the one that used to advertise the Ripper Tipple!
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	TenBells1988.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	657036
                            Last edited by John Bennett; 05-28-2009, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Hi John.
                              There was a piano by the door leading upstairs (to the basement also) for a while in the mid 90's, but I never saw anyone play it. I did get to have a drunken bash on it once though, accompanied by the two barmen.

Comment

Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                                I can't ever remember a piano player...
                                ...looks like a young Martin Fido!
                                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                                X