Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guy at the bottom - apron or Sainsbury's carrier bag?

PHILIP
    Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• It's a PINNY-= disguising the odd body part- scuttling off to write some old toot!
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
        Guy at the bottom - apron or Sainsbury's carrier bag?

PHILIP
        Have done an addition in that bag- NOT letting it out- will show ya later!
        'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• I wonder, Suzi. Does it involve something black with four legs?

PHILIP

Comment

• Great photo

That's a great photo of Portsmouth street.That is some gaslight on the left!Or maybe its Jack coming in to land in his spacecraft.I always thought he may have been a visitor from space, that's how he disappeared so quickly after each rip!
            Steve

Comment

• Originally posted by Bulldog View Post
              Technically not quite in the East End, but a nice vintage photo from what appears to be the 1860s or very early 1870s.
              Haven´t they renamed that ye olde curiosity shop? Guess tourists like it better that way..

Comment

• As Mike hasn't made an appearance lately {or if he has he hasn't stuck his nose into this thread} I'll reply to the question about Hull on his behalf. As an erstwhile resident of the old dump... sorry, city... myself, I can confirm that "The City And County Of Kingston Upon Hull", as created by Royal Charter in 1293,is the full title. City and County? Royal Charter? Same place as the downtrodden tip of a place you see on the telly? Ho Yuss, me old beauty, I should say so.
                "If you listen to the tills you can hear the bells toll. You can hear what a state we're in".

Comment

• Nice photos kate. That must be a first for a photo capturing the C5 all together- they look so much better than their morgue shots!

Comment

• Roaming

Hi, is anyone interested in meeting up to roam around the old streets?
                    Im not really interested in the tourist walks. Have spent a good 15yrs away from ripperology, but getting back into things after finding this website and the superb photo achive. Id love to roam about the old streets that haunted me as a kid, and share their secrets with someone who knows what theyre talking about. Thanks everyone.

Comment

• Hi Warspite. You need to join one of our London Jobs, but we've not done one for a long time. When enough people are around and willing, we sometimes go traipsing minor (and major if needs be) sites from the Whitechapel Murders on a Saturday. One of them even involved Paul Begg for a limited time.

PHILIP

Comment

• Hi guys, this is my first post, so here goes............

Could anyone tell me if the picture of Berner Street on page 94 of Rob & philip's "then & now" entitled "Berner Street looking towards Batty Gardens" is taken from almost opposite Dutfields yard? I was looking at this picture today and noticed that the tall building with the triangular roof and two light horizontal stripes at the far right of the picture looks exactly like the building on page 91 which shows the entrance Dutfields yard and there are a couple of very similiar notices on the building of both pictures.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before!

James

Comment

• Originally posted by james View Post
                          Hi guys, this is my first post, so here goes............

Could anyone tell me if the picture of Berner Street on page 94 of Rob & philip's "then & now" entitled "Berner Street looking towards Batty Gardens" is taken from almost opposite Dutfields yard? I was looking at this picture today and noticed that the tall building with the triangular roof and two light horizontal stripes at the far right of the picture looks exactly like the building on page 91 which shows the entrance Dutfields yard and there are a couple of very similiar notices on the building of both pictures.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before!

James
                          Hi James,

The photo on page 94 was taken about two to three houses North of Dutfields Yard. And your exactly right the building with the triangular roof is the same in all three pictures (top and bottom p91 and p94). It was a school built around 1903/05 can't remember the exact year but I got a note of it somewhere.

Regards

Rob

Comment

• Thanks for confirming that Rob, I must have looked at that picture a million times but never realised where it was taken from until yesterday!

From this i guess there must have been another photo of Dutfields Yard knocking about somewhere once (apart from Phil's new find) because it would be hard to believe someone took those shots and didn't take one of the yard?

James

Comment

• Hi James.

Those shots are mostly from the same time in 1909 and they're all just of the main streets. That famous image showing the cartwheel is, I think, the only Dutfields one done at that moment.

PHILIP

Comment

• This drawing of the entrance to Church Passage from Duke Street was in 'The Building News' 21 August 1908. The building on the left is the newly built Sir John Cass School. And on the right is the Great Synagogue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Church Passage 1908 cb.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	655140

Rob

Comment

Working...
                                X