This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rb

Your pic is a close up and appears almost identical to the more distant image in my photo. Thanks for that.

I guess the ground must have changed entirely from August 1888, especially in 1920.

Phil

Comment

• If I remember correctly there was a restaurant/cafe on the site in the 20s up to 1940/41? I just had a look at my Goads for 1923 and it's not on there, but it looks like it is there in Leonard Matters photo which is around 1926ish. So I presume the first sort of changes were made around then.

Rob

Comment

• Wasn't the westernmost house in Buck's Row/Durward st ("something cottage"?) damaged in the Blitz c 1941? I seem to recall it was demolished as a result.

I suppose that may have necessitated the resetting of the paving if it had been affected by the blast.

Phil

Comment

• Yes, New Cottage and at least 2 other houses next to it. About three houses altogether I believe. And the same amount in Winthrop Street, the ones that backed onto Durward Street.

Rob

Comment

• Phil
            I couldn't help noticing the location of the street lights in your picture.
            One was more or less opposite the murder scene (outsided Essex Wharf) and one a bit further down, probably outside where Schneider's used to be...

Comment

• I could have told you that Ed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Durward Street Essex Wharf 11 October 1989 2a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	664923

Click image for larger version

Name:	Durward Street 1986 08 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	664924

The one next to Essex Wharf wasn't there in the 1930s.

Rob

Comment

• Hello All .

Great photo's Rob & Phil . There are not to many close-ups of the Nichols murder site .. I took one myself around the mid 80's , but Robs photo manages to retain that Erie and atmospheric gloom surrounding both the Nichol's murder site and the Essex Wharf building . Excellent upload .

Regarding Phil's photo from the North side of the street shot from behind the bollard .. Would the bollard ( or whatever its called ) be from 1888 or a much later time ?

cheers .

moonbegger

Comment

• I have gone through all my collected pictures of Buck's Row/Durward St and still cannot answer your question. I get the impression they were there in the 50s - maybe even in the 20s when Leonard Matters took pictures, but whether they were there in 1888 I do not know.

Given the wharehouses along one side of the narrow street, I suppose they might have been - to keep wagons and later lorries away from the walls/pavement.

Maybe one of our very knowledgable compatriots on Casebook can provide a better answer.

Phil

Comment

• Hello Phil ,

thanks for checking all the same . Do you remember when you took the pic , if you was standing in the entrance to the old wool warehouse ?

On checking the CSI book .. I see they have two sitting either side of the Wool warehouse entrance , at roughly the same position your photo was taken . But I suppose they could have been replaced a few times since then.

cheers

moonbegger .

Comment

• Something I clocked on the BBC News website this morn.

Every police chief in Britain started out as a humble beat officer. Is it time to scrap what some see as an outdated tradition?

Monty
                      Attached Files
                      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Winsor

Deleted.
                        Last edited by Bridewell; 04-30-2013, 12:21 PM. Reason: Off Topic (Apologies)
                        I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Hello everyone! Been a long time, Im still obsessed, but just dont have a good internet connection these days - i.e I dont have one!

Anyway - was walking to The Blind Beggar one day last week and was happy to find Woods Buildings gate was open! Never been in, so in I went! Sadly only had my mobile with me, so quality here isnt great but here is a video and two stills from that. I have good video from the graves of the girls Ive visited too but still dont have time to upload them (Im in an internet cafe right now!).

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• 1927 Color Film of London w/Petticoat Lane, Parks, Traffic, Cricket, etc.

The clarity and detail are surprisingly good, but I love how dream-like it is.

Enjoy!
                            Archaic

Comment

• Might not be London, but what wonderful music :

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Superbe

Comment

Working...
                                X