Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am certain now that recess in front of most of the building were covered up long ago, leaving just the very southern bit to be filled in around 1990. How certain are we that railings fronted it all?

This is the back door. There is a line of gloss effect black bricks all the way round the building. They have a shiny glossy consistency. They have not been painted, although some have been painted over white. The black gloss bricks go up to a height of about four feet. I am wondering if the black dado area that had the message chalked onto it was actually these black gloss bricks. I had assumed the bricks had been painted gloss black. I’m going to get past this door to see what lies beyond. And I’ll take pictures - until I’m thrown out.

As Wentworth Dwellings is the only authentic Ripper building left, I think the ‘Time Team’ should excavate the front recesses to find out exactly what the lay out was. They could also carefully peel back the layers of paint to find out what it would have been like.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Lechmere,

Rob and I have been around the rear a few times....oooh errr Mussus. Rob has some photos somewhere.

The best time to get beyond the door is Sunday morning, market time. They are too busy to notice.

Did you see the graffito there?

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Here's the front of Wentworth Model Dwellings from around 1907
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Goulston Street c1907.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	661490

I have no idea when most of the recess was filled in, pre 1975 for definite.

This is one of the photos I took of the rear back in 2006. Chalked all over the wall was '3 Juwes' which was still there last year.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear of WMD 2006.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	661491

Rob

Comment

• Graffiti still there, got a photo of it accidentally (I only noticed it when I downloaded the pictures). Got into the ground floor service area and first floor communal garden. Next stage is the inner stairwells... Soon!
          The buildings have been remodeled at least twice. I will go through the changes as I can see them. Maybe on a different thread as it is crowding this one a bit.
          Last edited by Lechmere; 01-10-2011, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• Buck's Row

Another photoshop 'day to night - how it might have looked' doodle!
            PC Neil discovers Nichols' body in Buck's Row.
            Attached Files

Comment

• I think Neil approached from the other direction, and his lantern seems to be casting as much light as the headlight of an SUV. Still, it's very evocative. Ta.
              Last edited by The Grave Maurice; 01-11-2011, 12:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                Try this for size.

Anybody think they know where/what this is?

[ATTACH]990[/ATTACH]

Apologies for the funny marks. Technical probs.

JB
                Hello, could anyone please tell me when the buildings were built that can be seen on the left of this photo,seen above George yard corner? (on the other side of Wentworth street) The buildings can also be seen on the 1960s photo looking north from Gunthorne street ?

Kind regards

Comment

• Those buildings, if they are on the northern side of Wentworth Street, must be on the eastern corner of George Street (which became Lolesworth Street in 1893). The layout of the houses on that corner seem unchanged on the 1873 and 1894 Ordnance Survey maps. On the western corner was Lolesworth Buildings, built in 1885.
                  Here is a view of Sunley House which was opened by the Queen Mother in 1976. It was built on the site of George Yard Building. This picture is taken at almost the same angle as the picture posted by John Bennett. Here is also a picture of the entrance to Toynbee Hall, which opened in 1884 and is literally just round the corner. Sunley House is part of the Toynbee Hall complex.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                    Those buildings, if they are on the northern side of Wentworth Street, must be on the eastern corner of George Street (which became Lolesworth Street in 1893). The layout of the houses on that corner seem unchanged on the 1873 and 1894 Ordnance Survey maps. On the western corner was Lolesworth Buildings, built in 1885.
                    Here is a view of Sunley House which was opened by the Queen Mother in 1976. It was built on the site of George Yard Building. This picture is taken at almost the same angle as the picture posted by John Bennett. Here is also a picture of the entrance to Toynbee Hall, which opened in 1884 and is literally just round the corner. Sunley House is part of the Toynbee Hall complex.
                    Thanks Lechmere for that info. The photo of the entrance to the lecture hall of Toynbee hall interests me as I am planning a visit there in a couple of weeks. Hope to get plenty of photos.

Still keen to find out when those buildings on the eastern corner of Wentworth & George (Lolesworth) street went up.

Also looking for information on Wadham House. This was also a part of the Toynbee Hall buildings. Any info on actual location would be very helpful.

Cheers!

Comment

• Hello from a long time Casebook lurker but this thread finally got me to sign up to say thanks for all the really interesting photos posted here.

Hopefully one day I will be able to get to London again and go on a tour of the area again.

Thanks again for everyones contributions.
                      Regards
                      Glenn
                      South Africa

Comment

• A place of significance - what was Sion Square, behind Whitechapel Bell Foundry.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Whitechapel architecture 1892 photo.

Last edited by toynbee; 01-13-2011, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• Help needed please!

Can anybody please help me locate Wadham house ? A part of the Toynbee Hall buildings possibly on Wentworth street. Also need to find out when the tall buildings went up that are visible on the left of John Bennet's GH photo (also seen on the early George Yard photos looking north)

There was also a large chimney stack close to George Yard that towered above the other buildings, does anyone know when this was built & demolished?

Kind regards

Comment

• Three shots of Wentworth Model Dwellings, now known as Arcadia Court.
                              A night shot looking up from the interior ground floor – a horrible dark car park and market storage area now. Visible is the rear of ‘the’ stairwell.
                              A close up of a ground floor rear window also showing the bricked up basement window below. The original ground floor level of the ground floor flats must have been a couple of feet above pavement level. I accidentally got some of the modernish ‘Juwes’ graffiti. I didn’t notice it until I got home and looked at the picture.
                              Lastly a view from the inside first floor level roof terrace. You need to get in via a different door to get up here. ‘The’ stairwell is the third one from the left.
                              I have a load of other photos illustrating different stages of redevelopment and I hope to have some very interesting and I think unique pictures of Wentworth Model Dwellings soon.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by toynbee View Post
                                Can anybody please help me locate Wadham house ? A part of the Toynbee Hall buildings possibly on Wentworth street. Also need to find out when the tall buildings went up that are visible on the left of John Bennet's GH photo (also seen on the early George Yard photos looking north)

There was also a large chimney stack close to George Yard that towered above the other buildings, does anyone know when this was built & demolished?

Kind regards
                                I guess not then !

Thanks guys.

Kind regards

Comment

Working...
                                X