This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi John

Did I imagine this or did you just post a photo of the back of George Yard Buildings looking more or less the same as it was in 1888? If so, what a find.
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
      Black Lion Yard pic
      Hi Chris!
      These are a TOTAL joy!!!!!!!!!!! Jimmy- I want that software too BIG time!!!! (Have PMd you)

Fantastic work Chris!!LOVE the Red Bag in the last one!!!!
      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
        Hi Chris!
        These are a TOTAL joy!!!!!!!!!!! Jimmy- I want that software too BIG time!!!! (Have PMd you)

Fantastic work Chris!!
        They really add depth to the street and bring it to life.

I love them
        Regards Mike

Comment

• Blimey! Theres a double image of Dame Clara Butt on a balcony here!

Dame Clara with one enormous bust that went 'all the way around '(c/o Gladstones Bag)
          Click image for larger version

Name:	Mystery.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	653192

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike Covell View Post
            They really add depth to the street and bring it to life.

I love them
            Me too!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
              Hi John

Did I imagine this or did you just post a photo of the back of George Yard Buildings looking more or less the same as it was in 1888? If so, what a find.
              Yes.

Don't know the date though.

JB

Comment

• Back to an old favourite!
                Here is a coloured version of 29 Hanbury Street. Again the colours are imaginary except the Brillo sign which I do remember from my youth as being red!
                Chris
                Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
                  Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                  Anybody think they know where/what this is?

[ATTACH]1004[/ATTACH]
                  The back of George Yard Buildings !!!
                  Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
                  It would appear that Martha Tabram was actually murdered OUTDOORS !!!
                  Hi John,

I didn't have time to compliment your efforts, the other day; but I must say that you have made a truly remarkable discovery.

This photograph, in all likelihood, depicts the first-floor landing, on which Martha Tabram was found murdered !!!

Name:	Mystery Zoom.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	653199

George Yard Buildings had a depth of approximately 24-26 feet (front-to-back); so it would seem highly unlikely that any other staircases existed within the structure.

I believe you have found the first known photograph of Tabram's murder site, John !!! Congratulations !!! Great Work, Indeed !!!

BTW, where'd you find it ???

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	653197

P.S.

Philip: "How did you manage to f*cking miss that one ??? It should be in our book" !!!

Rob: "!@#$%^&*()_+~{[}]:;"'<> !!!!!!!!!!!!"
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2008, 09:04 PM.

Comment

• Colin,

Rob is currently roaming Guilford with Cricket bat in hand...

...but enough of their private lives.

Goddamit John, stop understating your finds. I need bells and flags else I miss your awesome photos.

Monty.
                    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Great find John
                      Does anyone have a copy of the close up view of the landing? I can't see, to lay my hands on a copy
                      It comes, I think, from The East End Then and Now and shows the landing with a young lad standing part way up the stairs
                      Would be interesting to see how this compares with the new pic
                      Regards
                      Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post
                        I believe you have found the first known photograph of Tabram's murder site, John !!!
                        Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
                        Does anyone have a copy of the close up view of the landing? ...
                        It comes, I think, from The East End Then and Now and shows the landing with a young lad standing part way up the stairs
                        Would be interesting to see how this compares with the new pic
                        Originally posted by Septic Blue View Post

[ATTACH]1008[/ATTACH]
                        From "The East End, Then and Now" by Winston G. Ramsey
                        circa 1972

The boy is presumably Ramsey's son, as he appears in a handful of other photos in the book; not least, a photo of Buck's Row.

Philip and Rob are rarely seen venturing into this particular type of thread, so a reply from either of them is not likely to be forthcoming.

Rob contacted Winston Ramsey, when he and Philip were compiling their book. Ramsey kindly forwarded Rob some other photos (featuring the same boy), which he had taken in and around GYB, as well as St. George House (?); another complex of "model dwellings" immediately to the south.

After comparison, Rob concluded that this particular photo was probably taken in St. George House (?).

Colin Click image for larger version

Name:	Septic Blue.gif
Views:	112
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	653201
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Guest; 03-27-2008, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• Hi Chris,

Colin beat me to it.

When I was corresponding with Winston Ramsey, he sent me somehigh resolution copies.

Alarm bells started ring when one said St Georges House. and on closer inspection it appeared that the landing photo was taken in the same building.

Name:	St Georges.jpg
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	653202

Name:	St Georges 2.jpg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	653203

Rob

Comment

• Here's an interesting one. The photo is identified as Dukes Place from Creechurch Lane, 1941. I've been having a small discussion with Jake and he recons it's Creechurch Lane. I don't quite agree as I think it may be Dukes Place, and thats a big 'may' as I'm not 100% myself. The tall building just over half way along is a big doubt that it's Dukes Place but builing on the corner at the far end looks familiar on aerial photos I have seen. Anyway here it is.

Name:	Dukes Place Creechurch Lane 1941 cb.jpg
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	653204

Rob

Comment

• Hi John B
                              You asked how the recolorising is done. I think the best way is to post a pic that is part done - the George Yard Buildings one!!
                              The first pic is the raw schematic with the areas of colour marked in so far as I have done.
                              The second pic is the part recolorised pic from the schematic with most of the work having been done on the right hand side
                              Hope this helps
                              Chris
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Chris Scott; 03-28-2008, 01:04 AM.

Comment

• I should have added that the colour areas are marked out at much higher resolution - the window section of the GYB pic is attched
                                Chris
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X