This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Street Whitechapel 1906

I like this 1906 street scene; it's labeled '23906 High Street Whitechapel', aka 'Gardiner's Corner'.
    The corner building is wonderful; is it still there? Modern buildings are so rectangular and boring.

(My apologies if this photo has been posted before, there are so many wonderful old photos on this thread that it's difficult gotten for me to keep track of them all...but please keep them coming!)

Cheers, Archaic
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
      I like this 1906 street scene; it's labeled '23906 High Street Whitechapel', aka 'Gardiner's Corner'.
      The corner building is wonderful; is it still there?
      Fraid not, Archaic

ps. Lots of other nice pics on this site. Check out Dr Barnardo's funeral
      Last edited by Stephen Thomas; 11-08-2009, 10:47 PM.
      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Here's the ghastly building which is on the site now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cbWhitechapel High Street 2008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	658022

And here's there area in 1909

Name:	cbWhitechapel High Street 10 March 1909.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	658023

Rob

Comment

• Nowadays when masked robbers enter banks, the teller produces a gun and demands all their money.

Comment

• Archaic, the St Katherine's Dock photo was taken in the 1950's by Eric de Mare. - Paddy

This photo was taken by Harry Bedford Lamere on June 12,1888 at the Peoples Palace, Mile End Road

Name:	peoplespalac e1888.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	658024

Comment

• Gardiners Corner

Gardiners store burnt down in 1972. It was a tremendous blaze. I watched the clock tower crash down. Lots of people standing round were sad, 'cos it had stood all through the blitz.
              Last edited by Old Montague; 11-09-2009, 03:26 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post

This photo was taken by Harry Bedford Lamere on June 12,1888 at the Peoples Palace, Mile End Road

[ATTACH]7081[/ATTACH]
                Amazing stuff, Paddy. Many thanks for that.
                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Montague View Post
                  Gardiners store burnt down in 1972. It was a tremendous blaze. I watched the clock tower crah down. Lots of people standing round wer sad, @cos it had stood all through the blitz.
                  Interesting to hear you were there, OM. This image has been posted before, but here's the event in question:

Name:	GardinersCorner 1972 Fire.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	658026

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                    Interesting to hear you were there, OM. This image has been posted before, but here's the event in question:

[ATTACH]7083[/ATTACH]
                    You can see that the firemen aren't actually training their hoses on Gardiners, but on the buildings on the other side of the road, which were beginning to smoulder because of the heat coming from the blaze. I was standing by the corner of Osborn Rd, just out of shot to the left. (It wasn't me wot done it, guv)

Comment

• Thanks, Old Montague, for sharing that with us, you were there.

And Rob, congratulations on your award. I have enjoyed immensely the photos you have posted on the site. John, you had some great finds, too.

Glad you liked it Stephen. Here is another Lamere - Jewish Board of Guardians, 125-129 Middlesex Street

Name:	BG.jpg
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	658027

A shop at the junction of Hanbury Street and Brick Lane. Photographer John M Priest, 1956

Name:	HAN.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	658028

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy Goose View Post
                        Here is another Lamere - Jewish Board of Guardians, 125-129 Middlesex Street
                        And this is what it looks like now, serving splendid ales and pies....

Name:	shooting star.jpg
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	658029

All the best
                        Andrew

Comment

• There Goes The Neighborhood...

Thanks, everyone. Such a shame that lovely corner-building & clock tower are gone only to be replaced by something so generic-looking.

(Cue Rant: I am so tired of contemporary architects creating a boring rectangular building and then "dressing it up" with a simple triangle on top,
                          like it was built with a set of childrens' wooden blocks! Can't anyone think of something new? Can't they at least think of something old? Ugh!)

Since the fire happened in 1972, maybe someone filmed the tower burning & crashing to the ground?

- Sorry, not trying to be "architecturally morbid" or anything -

When I look at the different views of the clock tower it seems to be ever-so-slightly off-kilter, as it if doesn't quite line up with the centermost point of the building's front. I'm wondering if it's just an optical delusion on my part, as whoever took the photos was positioned somewhere slightly to the left, and in the case of Philip's photo they were probably hanging out of the upper window.

Great shot of the swimming pool, Paddy, I particularly like the very philosophical swimmer who's ignoring the camera and blissfully floating on his back. I'll be doing that in a few days, because I'm going on vacation to sunny Arizona!

Best regards, Archaic
                          Last edited by Archaic; 11-09-2009, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• Cool Beans, Andy. Thanks.

Did someone say Bollard Relief?

Name:	bollard1.jpg
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	658031 Click image for larger version

Name:	bollard.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	658030

Hi Archaic, glad you liked it. Paddy
                            Last edited by Paddy Goose; 11-09-2009, 06:25 AM.

Comment

• Maybe that bollard doubles as an indicator of the depth of the water in the street during rainy weather?
                              (If you can't see the top of the bollard, keep small children indoors.)

I noticed that the construction sign says "Road UP"; in the U.S. that would totally confuse everyone. Our signs say "Road OUT"

Nice shot of the big fire, John.

Regards, Archaic
                              Last edited by Archaic; 11-09-2009, 06:41 AM.

Comment

• Shoreditch

Name:	SW.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	658032

Comment

Working...
                                X