Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ps.Can anyone confirm if its a WS meeting this Saturday Aug 1st?

Comment

• Originally posted by WARSPITE View Post
      Lovely photos John. Can you point out the location of no.29 please. And what great photos from the top of Denning Point;what a brilliant idea,why didnt I think o that. You can really see the line of the roads on the Fossan Estate. How easy was it to get access John?
      Pete
      I think this is it arrowed.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Hanbury29demol.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	657381

I got access to the roof of Denning Point with a film crew. I've been contributing to a documentary and they wanted some shots from the top of two towerblocks in the area (the other one was at the end of Hanbury/Old Montague Streets).

They'd finished with my bit so I tagged along for the ride. Tower Hamlets charge film crews by the hour, I believe!

JB

P.S. Yes there is indeed a WS1888 meeting this coming Saturday (1st August).

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
        My camera's a bit simple....
        A talented photographer doesn't require expensive equipment.

By the way (and I know that this belongs on another thread) I finally laid my hands on a copy of your book, E1. I started reading it this afternoon and it's fantastic.

Comment

• Sorry this picture is in such a bad state, but this is the White Hart (obviously) in 1969. If you peer up Gunthorpe Street to the right, you can just make out what is probably St.George's House.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	WhiteHart 1969.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	657386

This shot came from a council file relating to alterations within the pub. There is a plan of the old layout too.

Comment

• Thanks John.
            Looking at the photo, I imagine myself running from the camera to the backyard shouting "WAIT! WAIT!"
            I suppose this has been asked before, but do you think any of the demolition men knew about the history of the place and possibly kept a sentimental souvenir of the masonry eg.fence etc. I suppose if there was anything saved from any of the canonical murder sites, it would be fetching a bomb on ebay. Assuming it could be proven authentic of course.

Comment

• These may or may not be completely useless here - came across these two original prints at work the other day and photocopied each to post here - unfortunately I do NOT know the location or date - but felt they looked close to what is posted here - hope they are relevant and maybe even someone here might recognise the place..........

Attached Files

Comment

• And I thought stretch Limo's were a modern phenomenon. It's huge, look how many people it's carrying! If this were modern times they'd all be drunk on cheap champagne and mooning at passers by.

What an amazing machine, I wonder if there's a record of it anywhere?

Comment

• Charabancs, as they were known, were popular from the 1920's, when a company called Albion produced the first 29 seater, although horse drawn charabancs were much older, and some motor driven charabancs were used prior to WW1! They were used by businesses to take their staff away on trips to the seaside, and were quite common with breweries. I have several old photo's taken around Hull showing these Charabancs.

There is some info here, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charabanc
                  Regards Mike

Comment

[ATTACH]6244[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Gorgeous stuff there!!!

LOVE the lav/station at Wapping....and those charabanc pics are to DIE for!!!! Love the 'er interested character at the bottom left of the women's one!!!!! brilliant stuff!!!! xxxxxx About 29 ish on that charra...that's before we get the other 20 odd characters on the running boards!!!!!! Adam- Been looking at these for ages- Am convinced it's the same pub- Boy's bus round the corner! Terribly sad to see the 'followers on' in front of the Girl's bus...quite an interesting group there- blessem- I reckon mid 20's but where......difficult to say xxx
                      Last edited by Suzi; 08-01-2009, 05:27 PM.
                      'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Hi again-
                        Have become intrigued by the charabanc me- I recall that Southampton University used to have one when I was there and about in the early 70's for 'jolly days' out!!!''

If you Google charabanc images there's a great set of pics for the 1920 something day out from the Pontneddfechan Gunpowder Works near
                        Neath on their annual jolly to Rhossili....bit of a jaunt these days!
                        Can you imagine this drive in a Chara- if you've done it!!!!! I know the area disturbingly well...... Great pic though......'gunpowder works'???!!!!!Kaboooooooom!!!!... (OK it does work!!!!!)....No Smoking if you please!!!!
                        'ELF and SAFETY!!!!!!!' ........[ffs!]
                        Last edited by Suzi; 08-01-2009, 06:38 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Suzi View Post
                          LOVE the lav/station at Wapping....and those charabanc pics are to DIE for!!!! Love the 'er interested character at the bottom left of the women's one!!!!! brilliant stuff!!!! xxxxxx About 29 ish on that charra...that's before we get the other 20 odd characters on the running boards!!!!!! Adam- Been looking at these for ages- Am convinced it's the same pub- Boy's bus round the corner! Terribly sad to see the 'followers on' in front of the Girl's bus...quite an interesting group there- blessem- I reckon mid 20's but where......difficult to say xxx
                          Interesting - thanks for that Suzi!

Comment

• "Home, James!"

Hi, Adam; your photos of the charabancs are wonderful!

Just imagine a drive in one of those with a wet-bar & a hot tub in the back... It would certainly beat the silly stretch HUMMER limo I saw the other day!

I'm wondering why the sexes appear to be segregated...?

And I noticed that while the men are fully dressed & several are wearing or carrying overcoats indicating chilly weather, several of the young boys are bare-legged & barefoot.

Thanks for sharing those.

Best regards, Archaic

Comment

• Originally posted by Archaic View Post
                              Hi, Adam; your photos of the charabancs are wonderful!

Just imagine a drive in one of those with a wet-bar & a hot tub in the back... It would certainly beat the silly stretch HUMMER limo I saw the other day!

I'm wondering why the sexes appear to be segregated...?

And I noticed that while the men are fully dressed & several are wearing or carrying overcoats indicating chilly weather, several of the young boys are bare-legged & barefoot.

Thanks for sharing those.

Best regards, Archaic
                              The barefoots in fact the entire group of people in front of the women
                              'Off on The Blow' in the Charabanc are terribly sad in many ways- they gathered around these things even in the 1920's because it was in many ways a)a chance to get in a photo and maybe a sweet or two or b)...I Doubt this but maybe a plan to be immortalised!!!!.....which of course they have been!
                              Great shots of some great people (Outside of the Chara!)

Barefoot/legged wasn't uncommon in the 1950's in the East End...read Gilda O'Neill- wonderful stuff!!!!
                              Suz x
                              Last edited by Suzi; 08-01-2009, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• Hey all!!
                                Check this out

Amazing stuff here- Scroll down...... OK seen some- but haven't seen some!!
                                Suz x
                                If you get my drift!!!!

..Love the Leman St one!
                                Last edited by Suzi; 08-01-2009, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X