This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
    Phil, you're not telling me that JPdeL said all that when you had a group with you? If so, that deserves a bloody good hiding.
    Tonight on "When Tour Guides Go Bad.....

I cannot believe JPDL would sink to such depths, and feel so sorry for the idiots that have paid for his rather faulty sounding services!
    Regards Mike

Comment

• Anyone know what that painting/picture is in Rodinsky's room? - it seems to have a photo or postcard copy next to it

It's not the "Fishermans widow" is it? - lol

Comment

• Thank you John for posting these wonderful photographs. It's terribly sad to see those beautiful shop fronts disappear and to see Mr Elgrod's shop standing forlornly on its own.

Re Rodinsky's Room - I absolutely loved this book. I have also enjoyed her books about Brick Lane and Whitechapel.

Thanks again.

PS Re Pope - doesn't he claim to be descended from Robin Hood? Isn't he a rather sad fantasist?
        Last edited by Limehouse; 01-24-2009, 03:25 PM.

Comment

• Two more here.

The first two are of the inside of 13 Princelet Street, 1974 - I've been in this house and trust me, it's changed!

The front room...
          Click image for larger version

Name:	PrinceletStreet13 interior 1974.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	655711

The hallway - bloody junk mail!

Name:	PrinceletStreet13 hall 1974.jpg
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	655712

And this is of Bell Lane in 1900, apparently. Always known as a slum back in the day (and scene of the area's worst overcrowding) this is what we call squalor. The quality of the photograph is like that, by the way.

Name:	BellLane 1900.jpg
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	655713

Comment

• This is another of Brady Street Dwellings in 1978, just before demolition.

Name:	BradyStreetDwellings1978.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	655714

Does anybody know when the documentary 'In Search of Jack the Ripper', the one with Leonard Nimoy, was made?

Fashions of the interviewees (including a rather youthful Donald Rumbelow) point to the 1970s. The reason I'm asking, is because some of the scenes appear to be filmed at Brady Street Dwellings - possibly - which were demolished late '78 early '79.

The link to the relevant episode is

Here you will find the absolute BEST quality episodes of the ORIGINAL broadcasts, ALL episodes from ALL seasons. To see the shows in their original broadcast...

JB

Comment

• I'm no Chris Scott, but I've done a little work on the Bell Lane image above.

Name:	Bell Lane 1900.jpg
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	655715

In regards to Pope, I was walking up Gunthorpe Street with my group of about 40 students and passed him with five people pointing out the sign on the side of the White Hart referring to Chapman.

My heart sunk as he finished as I passed him and walked parallel to me.

"Evening squire!"

"Evening, John"

"I've been doing some work and I've found out we all got it wrong about Swallow Gardens. It's not there at all. It's on the site of the Martyrs' Club"

"No it's not"

"It is - I've found the paperwork"

"You need to go and do some proper research, my friend"

"I've done some research and..."

At this point he'd faded away as we passed him, and he took his group to show them where Martha Tabram died... in that building directly behind the pub...

What grates more is that he used the word 'we', as if he's got any integrity. I'm sure his group heard more of the conversation than mine.

At least, I THINK he said 'The Martyrs' Club'. Does that mean anything to anyone?

Silly old fool. I bought mint copies of his three God-awful booklets on eBay for about a tenner each a couple of weeks back. These are things I would sooner have unsigned.

PHILIP
              Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Nice work on the photo Phil.

I tried it myself, but it got a little dodgy, so I kept it almost as it was. The original is more faded than the image I posted.

JB

Comment

• Hi Philip
                  Nice work on the pic!
                  Re the Martyrs' Club
                  There is:
                  English Martyrs Club
                  62-64 Chamber Street
                  London
                  E1 8BL

see:

and a photo of Morrissey outside the place at
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Chris Scott; 01-24-2009, 05:34 PM.

Comment

• Thanks for that Chris.

That's typical JPdL. Right street, wrong side of the road. Usually.

Anyway, enough of him!

Comment

• Brushfield Street (date unknown)
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks for the info, Chris.

You know what I think has happened here with our comical friend?

I think he had always assumed the archway to be Abel's Buildings and has now discovered - probably here - that the arch was the other end of the road without realising we've all known that for a few years now. He thinks he's made a major discovery but has STILL not got it quite right.

Difficult to date the Brushfield Street one. I would put it most likely after 1725, as Hawksmoor's church is in the image.

PHILIP
                        Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Hi all,
                          To answer John Bennetts question.
                          The Jack the Ripper episode of the "In Search Of" tv show with Leonard Nimoy
                          was season 3 episode 5 original airdate was October 12th 1978.

Tom
                          Last edited by wisfisher; 01-24-2009, 08:17 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• Many thanks for that wisfisher.

Comment

• Crying with laughter her with Phillip's 'encounter'.......... (with the man who thought he was Dr Who!)......Who?????....!' Just logged in here briefly and asked hubby- who know's these things- as hubby's do and he said 1978 too- HOW do they know these things!! Grrrrrrrrrrr xx

Dr (who) John D'er der der...........Oh yes Lockersl....Satanist.... Royal Archie... or something would know ALL of course!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See ya on the 7th!!!!

(All may be revealed!!!!!.....hopefully not though re the above!!)
                              Last edited by Suzi; 01-24-2009, 09:32 PM.
                              'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                                In regards to Pope, I was walking up Gunthorpe Street with my group of about 40 students and passed him with five people pointing out the sign on the side of the White Hart referring to Chapman.

My heart sunk as he finished as I passed him and walked parallel to me.
                                But don't get angry, Philip.

You know what happens when you get angry.......

Name:	P7140083.JPG
Size:	283.9 KB
ID:	655718
                                allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Working...
                                X