Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Came across this photographer on Flickr shooting some really great portraits - he has a series up "Shoredith Street Portraits" which I think are really great and worth a look.
    Ongoing portrait series of the diverse faces from around my neighborhood in London.

Comment

• Spectacle Alley, then and now
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Spectacle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	652599

where abouts is this? whats it called now?

Comment

• Originally posted by chrisjd View Post
        Those white parts on the rear of Wentworth Dwellings:
        Are these the staircases? If so, they look like they were open (like in George Yard) and later bricked up.

C
        shame nobody "celebrated" the fact this was the 1888th post of this thread

Comment

• Pereira Street

Many thanks Adam Walsh, Dr John Watson and Rob H.

Rob, you're of course correct about the consistent 'yellowish' lighting.
          I added the blue just for a bit more oomph.

Adam, cracking night shots of Whitechapel, well done

Here's another old b&w daytime shot this time of Neath Place/Pereira Street E
          converted (photoshop) to night.

Best to you All
          Steve
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
            Spectacle Alley, then and now
            [ATTACH]233[/ATTACH]

whereabouts is this? whats it called now?
            Hi Adam

It runs westward from the top of Whitechurch Lane (formerly Church Lane) to Whitechapel High St and is well worth a look. When I was there to take that photo I noticed a street sign which I seem to remember said Church Passage E1.

Hi sgh

Super work there on those old photos. Most impressive
            allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Thanks Stephen!

Comment

• Didn't this used to be the Grave Maurice?
                Attached Files

Comment

• Open briefly... (to put collapsible market stalls away)
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
                    Didn't this used to be the Grave Maurice?
                    Geez, I hope not. I used to look like this:
                    Attached Files

Comment

• I'm annoyed at my error and will go back tommorrow to give you an updated photo

Comment

• OK, well, so you'll know me, I'll be wearing a carnation and carrying a copy of Der Arbeter Fraint under my left arm.

Comment

• I hope I don't mistake you for someone carrying Der Arbeiter Fraint

Comment

• Hmm. I hope so too. I'm just an old pub who doesn't know German from Yiddish. But I do know that Sugden says Arbeter (see, e.g., p. 166) and I always follow Sugden.

Comment

• Oh dear, I just checked and so does William Fishman.
                              As a distraction and to avoid disrupting the arguments/discussions on the ‘Did Hutchinson get the night wrong?’ thread, here’s a picture of the old Charrington brewery on Mile End Road.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• And here’s what’s left of the Great Assembly Hall at Tower Hamlet’s Mission, where 3,000 poor folk were given a meat tea on the day of the Lord Mayor’s Show in 1888. The Mission was established by a younger Charrington who became a pious abstentionist do-gooder when a drunken ruffian ‘duffed’ him up outside a Charrington’s pub.
                                As an aside, George Hutchinson will have walked past the brewery and the Mission on his way back from Romford on that rainy night. If any of his story is to be believed. Or maybe he walked past on a dry night one day earlier...
                                Did Hutchinson notice any preparations at the Mission for the tea? Was he particularly even aware that the Lord Mayor’s Show was on? Would he, as a resident of Spitalfields, have known any of the meat tea attendees (it is a good mile and a half of densely populated streets from the mission to the Dorset Street area. Anyway, that’s the significance of the brewery and the Mission.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X