Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brilliant pictures. Thanks to all concerned. Although some of the buildings look run down and decrepit, it is clear that they were once graceful and quite beautiful. It highlights for us that at one time, quite large areas of the east end were the location for fairly substantial town houses (although not at all in the same category as those in the west end) and that they eventually fell into multiple occupancy due to the number people pouring into the area and the general decline of the more propsperous industries such as silk weaving.

Comment

• Tubby Isaacs stall November 2008 John Colliers has become the Aldgate Exchange PH

all the Observer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tubby Issacs irfan.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	655627

Comment

• Hi all ... Seems like this is the place where committed lurkers come out to play so I would like to reitterate previous sentiments and say just how much I enjoy this friendly thread , thanks (bee) for your continued research , street slogging and clicking . This has probably been asked before but is there anyway the site could introduce a photo magnification app or anyone know of a good one to save me poor old mince pies . Cheers for now . Bee

Comment

• John - smashing shots, don't you know.

Question for you : 'Yik'. The only time I have EVER heard that word is from the mouth of James Mason, and you know where. Was that a deliberate obscure reference from yourself?

PHILIP
          Tour guides do it loudly in front of a crowd.

Comment

• Nice to see "Tolvis" photos here - in case anyone hasn't noticed it, he comes from the same town I do. I know the guy personally and he's a splendid bloke that I like very much and I am glad he found his way here - his interest in the subject is genuine indeed.
            Those photos were apparently from his first trip to the murder sites (using partly my book as a guide) but the grapevine told me he might have taken more.
            I was surprised that he went as far as actually trying to find the mortuaries as well on his first trip to East End.

Add Fisherman and we are now three Swedes from the same town on this forum. It's not coincidence - it's an invasion!

I haven't been back to this thread for a while but I am always thrilled to see these old obscured pictures. Those interior photos from 1972 of Hanbury Street 24 were just simply incredible. Nice, John bennett. Really nice indeed. Gives you a glimpse of what the rooms might have looked like in #27.

All the best
            The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

• Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
              Add Fisherman and we are now three Swedes from the same town on this forum. It's not coincidence - it's an invasion!
              Where I come from, three swedes in the same place is neither a coincidence nor an invasion... it's a sign that Hallowe'en is around the corner
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

• Trick or treat, Sam!

All the best
                The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

• Three Swedes ..... One more you could form an internationally best selling band ... that wins eurovision .... called turnip .......ok sorry .. I,ll get my coat

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                    John - smashing shots, don't you know.

Question for you : 'Yik'. The only time I have EVER heard that word is from the mouth of James Mason, and you know where. Was that a deliberate obscure reference from yourself?

PHILIP
                    Not at all deliberate, but now you mention it I can remember him saying it.

Comment

• As people liked the interior shots of 24 Hanbury Street so much, I thought I'd post a few more in that vein.

This is the inside of 5 White's Row in 1973. The building is still there, the only 18th century house left on the street, I believe.

Name:	5WhitesRowInterior1973 LMA.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	655633

Ooh look, you can see the car park across the street in this one.

Name:	5WhitesRowInterior1973 3 LMA.jpg
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	655632

Name:	5WhitesRowInterior1973 2 LMA.jpg
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	655631

Comment

• John - that last one looks like the inside of Ed Gein's house.

PHILIP

Comment

• Originally posted by George Hutchinson View Post
                          John - that last one looks like the inside of Ed Gein's house.

PHILIP
                          You should see the ones I've got of the inside of 6 Wilkes Street. It reminds me of that old shack at the end of 'Blair Witch Project'.

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                            You should see the ones I've got of the inside of 6 Wilkes Street. It reminds me of that old shack at the end of 'Blair Witch Project'.
                            See what I mean?

Taken in 1980.

Name:	6WilkesInterior 1980 LMA.jpg
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	655635

Comment

• Isn't that the upstairs room of THE PRINCESS ALICE where the WS1888 once had its meetings?

PHILIP

Comment

• I love these "inside" pictures - keep 'em coming! The Hanbury Street pics left me breathless. Fuel for the imagination.

Comment

Working...
                                X