Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Halcrow Street directly south of Whitechapel Station and just north of Commercial Road.

Looks rather like somewhere else, doesn't it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	halcrow st.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	659890
    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by tnb View Post
      Lovely photos Adam - particularly the elderly couple in what if I am not mistaken is the Whitechapel High Street end.
      Trevor,

They're on Whitechapel Road - the picture below the elderly couple is taken from the same place, looking west towards the junctions of New Road and Vallance Road. But I agree, these are very nice photographs.

Stephen,

You're right - that's an incredible resemblance to a more widely-recognised image.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

• Middlesex St. graffito

An interesting art project currently decorating Middlesex Street. UK Prime Minister - ehm, whatsisname - recently presented a work by this artist to President Obama.

Former graffiti tearaway Ben Eine is at last following the letter of the law... with a complete A to Z on an east London street to prove it. Imogen Carter talks to him
        aye aye! keep yer 'and on yer pfennig!

Comment

• Up there again today - a few drinks in The White Hart and The Ten Bells - which gave me the courgage to shoot some pics from top of the car park opposite Christchurch (as I was on my own)........hope you enjoy!
          Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by AdamWalsh View Post
            Up there again today - a few drinks in The White Hart and The Ten Bells - which gave me the courgage to shoot some pics from top of the car park opposite Christchurch (as I was on my own)........hope you enjoy!
            Great shots Adam!

Naturally, now that you've ventured into the Whites Row Car Park on your own during the day, the next step is to go up there on your own at night!

All the best
            Andrew

Comment

• Yes indeed - very true. I shot these today with a compact Canon - but if I would do it a night Id take a tripod and my Canon 50D SLR.............I also have the Canon time-lapse remote but whether Id want to stand there taking shots for an hour is another thing!

Comment

• Here is a little video I shot walking up the stairs of Whites Row Car Park.
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Visited Walter Sickerts house in Mornington Crescent at the end of Camden High St yesterday - took some shots for you. Also - looking back at a shot I took of Christchurch in Spitalfields the other day of the top of the spire I noticed it has engraved 1822 - not seen that before! Zoomed pic of mine here too.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Adam,
                    I love your shots of the old Sickert digs. I may be one of the few amature Ripperologists, especially from America, who has gone to the effort of going there (in Sept. 2008). I even took the walk from there to #29 Agar Grove Camdentown, site of the Emily Dimmock murder. There is of course the urban legend that Sickert showed up there with police still on the scene, artist supplies in hand, and asked to be let inside to sketch the body. In my experience, it was such a long walk to such an out of the way spot that I found it highly unlikely that he could have just happened along like that by chance. I tend to view Sickert as being mixed up in the Dimmock case, but do NOT think he was JTR.

Comment

• Originally posted by kensei View Post
                      There is of course the urban legend that Sickert showed up there with police still on the scene, artist supplies in hand, and asked to be let inside to sketch the body.
                      That's not an urban legend, it's pure make-believe by Patricia Cornwell

Comment

• Holy Trinity, Minories

Post 1854.
                        Holy Trinity, Minories 1913 with 2010 view showing extant wall and post.
                        The church was adapted from the Abbey of the Minoresses of St. Mary of the Order of St. Clare, founded in 1294, which stood on the site (a "minoress" was a nun, hence The Minories) and was destroyed by enemy action in 1940.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Nice one, Clifford

Comment

• Saracens Head Yard, Aldgate

Post 2450

Saracens Head Yard, Aldgate 1883 with 2010 view. The entrance of 90 Fenchurch Street is on same position as entrance to Saracens Head Yard. The modern entrance to Saracens head Yard is now in Jewry Street round the corner (but now only modern office blocks).
                            Attached Files

Comment

• St Katherine Creechurch

Post 2519: "This is a small courtyard not far from Mitre Square - I did write down the exact name, but unfortunately I mislaid it, and despite having searched the maps since I can't seem to locate exactly where it was."

This is the former churchyard of St Katharine Creechurch in Creechurch Lane (in the Middle Ages Londoners pronounce Christ as Creest). The little known entrance is in Mitre Street (X marks the spot on map below). Now surrounded on three sides by modern office blocks and one side by the church hall.

1. Entrance in Mitre Street
                              2. Discarded headstones
                              3. Crypt and Church Hall
                              4. Map
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Well done Clifford, spot on. I actually found it again myself last night doing some exploring just prior to the Whitechapel Society meeting, although unfortunately the gate was shut at that time. Thanks for the info, and also the fascinating photos.

Comment

Working...
                                X