• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Street
    Attached Files

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Scott View Post
      Can any one identify the location of this photo please?
      Thanks
      Chris
      Wish I could help, Chris, but alas....

Nice photo anyhow.

Comment

• In a similar vein, I noticed this one in 'Our East End' by Piers Dudgeon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EastEndCourt.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	655246

It is undated and doesn't say where it is, but on looking at it I got a bit excited, thinking it may be Miller's Court; I think I've seen a contemporary sketch of MC that looks spookily similar.

Anyway, after looking very hard, it is obviously not Miller's Court or we'd be able to see the door of No.13 on the right.

Never mind....

Comment

• Hi John
          Many thanks for the messages and the pic
          Although it is not Millers Court I find pics like these give a real sense of the atmostphere of these places
          regards
          Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
            Anyway, after looking very hard, it is obviously not Miller's Court or we'd be able to see the door of No.13 on the right.

Never mind....
            Unless they wall papered over with that wall paper that looks like brick!!
            Regards Mike

Comment

• Hi John,

Would Miller's Court have been this narrow? I'm looking at the diagram in Tully's book (Prisoner 1167,) but there's no scale on it. The same or similar diagram is here on the CBook. I know it wasn't spacious, of course, but am not sure of the scale of Miller's Ct. The photo posted by Chris Scott, in post #887, has a similar layout as the diagram in Tully's book, at least up to the near corner of the passage, but the secondary arch, or bridge, or whatever it was, isn't there.

These two pictures made my heart slow down a bit though! The atmosphere is certainly right.

Thank to both of you for posting them.

Best,

Cel
              "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Impossible to resist!!! Will have to post the pic on Forums here under EE pics on the Suzi Thread

Suz x
                'Would you like to see my African curiosities?'

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                  Hi John,

Would Miller's Court have been this narrow? I'm looking at the diagram in Tully's book (Prisoner 1167,) but there's no scale on it. The same or similar diagram is here on the CBook. I know it wasn't spacious, of course, but am not sure of the scale of Miller's Ct. The photo posted by Chris Scott, in post #887, has a similar layout as the diagram in Tully's book, at least up to the near corner of the passage, but the secondary arch, or bridge, or whatever it was, isn't there.

These two pictures made my heart slow down a bit though! The atmosphere is certainly right.

Thank to both of you for posting them.

Best,

Cel
                  I think Miller's Court was probably a little more spatious than that photograph. Not much more, though.

Comment

• Hi Celesta,

This is from an 1878 Board of Works Report—

The [Millers] court contains six houses, and is about 50 feet long, 5 feet 6 inches wide at the north end, and 17 feet 10 inches wide at the south end, and is approached by a covered entrance 26 feet 4 inches long and 2 feet 10 inches wide. At the north end of the court there are three public privies, and at the south end there is a public dust-bin, both of which are within a few feet of the school-room in question.

The schoolroom was in the first house on the right past Room 13.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Simon
                    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Hi Simon,

Thank you for this information. Actually the dimensions are a little larger than what I was imagining when I studied the diagram, except for the width of the passage. I thought the court might be able 15 feet across at the widest point.

Knowing how closed in this site was, it's easier to see how both Prater and Lewis thought the "oh murder' cry came from the immediate vicinity.

It's great how so many nice, instructive photos are turning up here.
                      "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Does any one have a copy of the Goad's Map of Millers Court please?
                        This is one I have never seen
                        Many thanks
                        Chris

Comment

• Voila, Chris

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dorset Street May 1890.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	655259

Comment

• That was quick!
                            many thanks John - your help is very much appreciated
                            Regards
                            Chris

Comment

• Good stuff John - Am intrigued by that map though...the positioning of Mary's domicile and the gaps behind-and was that a Confectionry Factory at the end? ---Or is it just a Sunday afternoon here?

Suz xx

Comment

• OK as to the map- 'Cos I can't post pics- grrrrrrrrrrrrrr- Who lived down from Mary's room from the gap on the same side? xx

Comment

Working...
                                X