This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stephen Thomas View Post
    Does anyone know what's going on with Thrawl Street?

[ATTACH]452[/ATTACH]
    I do. Just got to have lunch
    Last edited by John Bennett; 02-28-2008, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• OK, let's see if I can get this right.

When Thrawl Street was built in the 1670s (by Henry Thrale, no less), it only exteded halfway from Brick Lane, stopping at small enclosed gardens/fields. Later, when these were built over, this led to the creation of Little George Street, eventually renamed Keate Street.

As you may have worked out, Keate Street disappeared when they built the Charlotte DeRothschild Dwellings over it in 1886/7. That's when Thrawl Street was extended west to Commercial Street.

It's hard to say how old the map is, but the information on it dates it as being before 1893 - this was when Red Lion Court, Wood Street and Church Street were renamed Puma Court, Wilkes Street and Fournier Street respectively. There is also no Rothschild buildings. If it is Edwardian, they were using pretty old info.

JB

Comment

• Entrance to Berner Street from Commercial Road. Taken around 1890ish.

Rob
        Last edited by Rob Clack; 02-29-2008, 01:11 AM.

Comment

• That's weird, I don't know what happened to the photo and apparently I edited the post when I didn't.
          Lets try this:

Berner Street corner of Commercial Road c1890

Click image for larger version

Name:	Berner Stretet corner of Commercial Road c1890.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	652762

Comment

• Here's the flashearth pics I have of the murder sites in order of the murders. The Berner Street/Henriques Street picture was too big to be uploaded.

Name:	Buck's Row-Durward Street.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	652763

Name:	Hanbury Street.JPG
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	652764

Name:	Mitre Square.JPG
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	652765

Name:	Dorset Street-White's Row.JPG
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	652766
            "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

• victorian london photos

there are some good photos here, for anyone who hasn't seen them:

aye aye! keep yer 'and on yer pfennig!

Comment

• I was hoping to post some more pics, but apparently, I've exceeded my 'quota'. Has anybody else had this trouble?

JB

Comment

• Hi JB,

I have posted loads of pics over on the Robert D'Onston Stephenson threads and it has never said that.
                  Are the file sizes too big? There is a guide to sizes on the pop up menu when selecting files to upload.
                  Are you trying to post too many at once?

Contact Ally or spryder if the issue continues, or as many a helpdesk would say, "turn it off and turn it back on again"

Mike
                  Regards Mike

Comment

• Junction of Commercial Road and Berner Street (thanks for the old pic, Rob)

Then and now.

Name:	berner st corner 1890-ish.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	652773

The Victorian barrow boys are now replaced by a flash car.

Name:	junction.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	652774
                    allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Originally posted by John Bennett View Post
                      When Thrawl Street was built in the 1670s (by Henry Thrale, no less), it only exteded halfway from Brick Lane, stopping at small enclosed gardens/fields. Later, when these were built over, this led to the creation of Little George Street, eventually renamed Keate Street.

As you may have worked out, Keate Street disappeared when they built the Charlotte DeRothschild Dwellings over it in 1886/7. That's when Thrawl Street was extended west to Commercial Street.

It's hard to say how old the map is, but the information on it dates it as being before 1893 - this was when Red Lion Court, Wood Street and Church Street were renamed Puma Court, Wilkes Street and Fournier Street respectively. There is also no Rothschild buildings. If it is Edwardian, they were using pretty old info.
                      Thanks for this reply to my post with map #138, John, whiich makes perfect sense. The map would seem to date from the late 1880s. Googling the names of the map publishers Gall and Inglis shows them to be a right pair of A to Zers. Here's an advert from tho cover of the map

Name:	advert.jpg
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	652775
                      allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

OK, let's see if I can get this right.

JB
                        John, Was that little jog at Goulston and Castle actually on the ground or is it an artifact of the way the map was made? Strange that it happens at both streets.

Celesta.
                        "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

I was hoping to post some more pics, but apparently, I've exceeded my 'quota'. Has anybody else had this trouble?

JB

John,

Some weird things have happened to me on the site today. I think they are still working on it. Maybe that's why your photos won't post. I had to write a post twice, a few minutes ago, and each time I tried to post it, I got the login box and a message telling me I had to login. I finally had to copy out my post then go back into the thread and open a new message box and paste it. Maybe you should try again later to do your photos.
                          "What our ancestors would really be thinking, if they were alive today, is: "Why is it so dark in here?"" From Pyramids by Sir Terry Pratchett, a British National Treasure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Celesta View Post
                            John, Was that little jog at Goulston and Castle actually on the ground or is it an artifact of the way the map was made? Strange that it happens at both streets.

Celesta.
                            When you say 'jog', do you mean the fact that the streets aren't as straight as they are today?

Comment

When you say 'jog', do you mean the fact that the streets aren't as straight as they are today?

Sorry, "jog" is an Americanism for something that switches directions quickly. On the southern ends of those two streets, Goulston and Castle, there's an offset to the left, or to the east, on those two streets. It may have something to do with the way the map was put together, although it appears to have been drawn that way. Don't worry about it, John. It's not important. I notice little things about maps because I used to work a lot with maps.

Hope you get your photos posted. I'm looking forward to seeing them.
                              Last edited by Celesta; 02-29-2008, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• Just wanted to repost some scans from Fishman's "The Streets of East London".

Artillery Passage
                                Cobb Street
                                Salmon Lane
                                Thrawl Street
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by Matfelon; 03-01-2008, 11:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X