Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in the old days and nowadays combination.
    Attached Files
    “If I cannot bend heaven, I will raise hell.”

Comment

• Love the pictures on here, I'm not sure if this has been posted before and 400 pages is a bit too much for me to check back on, so apologies if it has.
      There are some lovely aerial views on this site

They're covered by copyright so I'll just post the link.
      The above picture is from the 20s. if you zoom into the top of the picture you can see Christchurch and the demolished millers court before the rebuild.

Comment

• Hello Nicolas,
        These should be your area.
        Attached Files
        dustymiller
        aka drstrange

Comment

• Closer
          Attached Files
          dustymiller
          aka drstrange

Comment

• Closest!
            Not my Pics I found them on the internet years ago.
            Attached Files
            dustymiller
            aka drstrange

Comment

• A billionaire Danish fashion tycoon has launched a bid to rescue a historic east London neighbourhood from City developers just days before Boris Johnson is due to rule on it.

Comment

• Comment

• Thank you so much for these, incredible! I wonder when they date from exactly. Mind you, the car on the road in the last pic seems to be a C reg so it would make it 1985 onwards. Again, thank you. It demonstrates how careless Tower Hamlets was in letting these historic buildings be demolished and replaced with the anonymous, bland character of Kempton Court.

Comment

• Spitalfields Magic Lantern slide currently for sale on ebay (in case anyone's interested):-

I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Judging from the more recent photos, "gentrification" has certainly improved the appearance of much of the photographed areas.

Jeff

Comment

• Originally posted by JadenCollins View Post
                        Back in the old days and nowadays combination.

This comparison is very instructive. Of course this area of Spitalfields where Dorset Street and Miller's Court stood is being redeveloped so it remains to be seen what tour guides will be able to show visitors in the future. Could someone give us an update?

Thanks

Chris
                        Last edited by ChrisGeorge; 02-15-2016, 06:04 AM.
                        Christopher T. George
                        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
                        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
                        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
                        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• I don't post on here much but, today my wife and I went to Moorgate to lay flowers at the memorial which commemorates the terrible train crash on London Underground 41 years ago today. I have no direct connection to it other than being a driver on the Underground.

We then decided to go to The Pride Of Spitalfields for a pint or 2, as we entered Fashion Street I could hardly believe my eyes. Work was going on at what once was The Queens Head pub and the workers had uncovered the original tiled lettering. Luckily I was able to take a few shots.

Comment

• Thanks Mr Majester. I just hope the lettering doesn't end up on a skip.

Comment

• Originally posted by Robert View Post
                              Thanks Mr Majester. I just hope the lettering doesn't end up on a skip.
                              ....or in his back garden

Comment

• Thanks for posting these excellent photos mrmajester. I'm amazed there's anything left of the old pub as it's been knocked about over the years to suit various needs and at one time was a bank.

I think this building has been bought by the architect Chris Dyson who has a house in Princelet Street. His renovations tend to be sympathetic to the buildings original design and he may even leave the old tiled lettering exposed.
                                Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

Working...
                                X