This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Nottingham 1902 but still worth watching IMHO:

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Have a look at the spitalfieldslife blog today, some tremendous old photos but a great one of gunthorpe street , must be taken at least 40 to 50 years ago . There is one of an oldest stood at the base of a block of flats which for some reason rings a bell but not sure why

Comment

• Originally posted by Jason View Post
        Have a look at the spitalfieldslife blog today, some tremendous old photos but a great one of gunthorpe street , must be taken at least 40 to 50 years ago . There is one of an oldest stood at the base of a block of flats which for some reason rings a bell but not sure why
        Thanks, Jason. Well worth a visit. Here's the link:

Comment

• Some photo's I took recently

Click image for larger version

Name:	frying pan reduced.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	664817

The Frying Pan PH Brick Lane Polly Nichols seen here on the night prior to her murder

Name:	tenter st reduced.jpg
Size:	164.5 KB
ID:	664818

Tenter street, Jackson the American doctor from Ripper Street lodged here. Well you know what I mean.

Name:	tenter st 2 reduced.jpg
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	664819

Tenter Street again. In a bit of a mess. Next up for demolition ?

Regards

Observer

Comment

• A few more

Name:	brick lane 3 reduced.jpg
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	664820

Name:	brick lane reduced 1.jpg
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	664821

Two of Brick Lane

Name:	church passage reduced.jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	664822

Catherine Eddowes murder site, Mitre Square looking towards Church Passage

Regards

Observer

Comment

• Two more of Christchurch

Name:	Christ Church mask reduced.jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	664823

Name:	Christchurch infrared2 reduced.jpg
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	664824

Regards

Observer
              Last edited by Observer; 02-27-2013, 05:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Observer View Post
                Some photo's I took recently

[ATTACH]15124[/ATTACH]

The Frying Pan PH Brick Lane Polly Nichols seen here on the night prior to her murder

[ATTACH]15125[/ATTACH]

Tenter street, Jackson the American doctor from Ripper Street lodged here. Well you know what I mean.

[ATTACH]15126[/ATTACH]

Tenter Street again. In a bit of a mess. Next up for demolition ?

Regards

Observer
                Tenter Street looks so bad that it's good. I could imagine a number of production companies using it as a filming location. It could be used as 1970's London, a post apocalypse(im thinking Zombies ) disaster location, or The Bronx.

Comment

• Originally posted by jason_c View Post
                  Tenter Street looks so bad that it's good. I could imagine a number of production companies using it as a filming location. It could be used as 1970's London, a post apocalypse(im thinking Zombies) disaster location, or The Bronx.
                  Maybe they already used it, and that's why it looks like that?

Cheers,
                  Archaic

(Too bad there's no Zombie emoticon. I'll put in a request.)

Comment

• Originally posted by sgh View Post
                    My take on Gunthorpe St.
                    I've edited this version in photoshop and added the moonlit sky for effect.
                    Hope you like it !

Best,
                    Steve
                    Hi Steve,

Really like your photo.. I have a friend who lives on Gunthorpe St., would like to give them a copy of this as a gift if you have a high res version available? Appreciate if you can get in touch..

Thanks

Mike

Comment

• Thanks for posting your photos Observer. This is my favourite thread yet I've hardly posted on it yet. I'll correct that shortly.

Can I ask about the photos of Tenter Street. Isn't this Toynbee Street formerly Shepherd Street? I think Tenter Street ran more or less parallel to Shepherd Street on the Bell Lane side.

I think Tenter Ground might might be the line of the old street running off Whites Row with the rest of it under modern housing.
                      Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

• Some photos taken at various times over the last 18 months with the MJK and Timothy Evans graves photographed only 3 weeks ago.

A familiar sight for frequenters of the White Hart pub on Whitechapel High Street.

Although a modern building Bishopsgate Police station is on the same footprint as the 1888 station. The old building to the second right with the Sir Robert Peel picture was a pub.

The main enterance to Commercial Street Police station. On the morning of Saturday 9th of November 1888 Thomas Bowyer shortly followed by John McCarthy would have rushed in here to report the murder of Mary Kelly.

A gas lamp stills flickers above the door to Dennis Severs' house.

Today they have trendy shabby chic chairs in the Commercial Tavern.
                        Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

• A macabre carving above the entrance to the church yard of Saint Olave's on Seething Lane. At different times both Sir Francis Walsingham, Elizabeth I spy master, and Samuel Pepys lived along here.

The Truman chimney on Brick Lane.

An old friend. Try to give it a miss on Friday and Saturday nights. It's a different kind of murder in there then. God I hate city types buying rounds with credit cards!

Lolesworth Close leading off Commercial Street. This short bit of road is all that remains today of Flower & Dean street but it would originally have run from here through to Brick Lane.
                          Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

• Christchurch looks like this after too many "Green Fairies".

The famous tile panel in the Ten Bells.

"Sarf" of the river lies the Cross Bones graveyard with it's tributes to the outcast dead. Packed in here are the bodies of prostitutes and paupers forgotten by society. It has become a memorial to those driven to prostitution from Mediaeval times right up to today. People leave poems and messages of remembrance tied to the gates.We do well to remember the lives of those used and discarded so readily.

The plaque on the gates.
                            Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

• Interior of Christ Church, Spitalfields.

MJK's grave at Leyton late February 2013.

Also in St. Pat's cemetery, Leyton lies Timothy Evans. Hung by the state but surely another victim of the revolting John Reginald Halliday Christie.
                              Post Tenebras Lux

Comment

• Some really good stuff there, Hutch. Thank-you. Keep 'em coming please, if you don't mind. (Didn't know about the small remnant of Flower & Dean Street. I'll open my eyes a bit wider next time!

Comment

Working...
                                X