X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another grainy 80's pic
    Attached Files

Comment

• This is my favorite , Essex Wharf , directly opposite Polly's murder site .
      Attached Files

Comment

• You still get a feel for the place ..
        Attached Files

Comment

• Another view of Bucks row from the mid 80's .. the first pic was Berners st .
          Hope you all found them worth a view .. cheer's , moonbegger .
          Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks, they are very nice, brings back a lot good memories.

Rob

Comment

• Originally posted by moonbegger View Post
              You still get a feel for the place ..
              Hi Moonbegger.

I really like this shot. Being grainy gives it a weird dreamlike effect that's sort of Kafkaesque. (Kafka's literary characters tended to have existences that were like long miserable bad dreams that just went in endless circles, from which there was no waking up and no escape... Not the kind of existence you really want to experience.)

I also like how the way seems blocked and uncertain. It looks like 'The Road To Nowhere'.

Thanks for sharing it.
              Archaic
              Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Moonbegger
                Thanks so much for these - this is just about the time I first toured Bucks Row and Winthrop Street and this is just how I remember it
                Much appreciated
                Chris

Comment

• Hi Moonbegger - I love the Essex Wharf shots...As you know, sadly I didn't give enough priority to my JtR interests until relatively recently... but those are so typical of the many odd corners (in my case, of Wapping) that I recall surviving into the 60s and 70s but which are sadly no more...

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Hello all ,

I'm Glad you liked the pics .. got a few more i'll throw up when i get them on the computer .. i also forgot to mention i did actually manage to rescue the centre piece stone from the bottom door arch , out of the Essex Wharf rubble , after they pulled it down .

cheers all

moonbegger .

Comment

• I found that by adjusting the colour balance on the 80s pics you can see things more clearly. With the permission of Moonbegger (to whom many thanks) I am posting the adjusted pics here
                      Chris
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Here is the second batch
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Great job chris ,

gives the pics a new life .

moonbegger .

Comment

• Essex Wharf

Thanks for that, Chris; great idea.

I've always loved the architecture of the old Essex Wharf building.

Does anybody recall what year it was built, and are there any old photos of how it looked in its prime?

Thanks,
                            Archaic

Comment

• Thanks for the comments guys
                              Some info about Essex Wharf at

This page says that "The building which faced Buck's Row was a three-storey brick-built construction, probably erected in the mid-late 1870s and which was mostly used as offices."

Comment

• Hope this helps
                                "are there any old photos of how it looked in its prime?"
                                This isn't very good but shows Essex Wharf (first building on left) while still in use
                                Chris
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X