This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Andrew Firth View Post
    It was the bay window on the right as you enter the pub. I have to be honest, and admit that the dead centre placing of the spire, and the lamp, was all just down to a fluke. I happened to sit at the right place in the pub, and rested my camera on the table in front of me in just the right place.

I can believe that the pub is in Shadwell. The area I think of as Wapping, is about ten minutes walk in a westerly direction from the Prospect of Whitby.
    Thanks, Andrew!

Comment

• Two pics from the 1970s
      The first is Puma Court and the second is Wilkes Street
      Attached Files

Comment

• I love that Puma Court picture, Chris. Can I ask where you found it? I don't suppose it's out of copyright...

In all seriousness I do need to start picking people's brains about out of copyright pictures and maps for my documentary sometime soon, but there is, as they say, a time and place for everything.

The Prospect of Whitby, by the way, is definitively in Shadwell. However a lot of people believe anything south of the (Ratcliff) Highway to be Wapping, unofficially.

Comment

• Hi trevor
          I've sent you a PM about this
          regards
          Chris

Comment

• Originally posted by tnb View Post
            The Prospect of Whitby, by the way, is definitively in Shadwell.
            You mean Wapping Wall isn't in Wapping? No wonder people get confused.

Comment

• Alleged photo of Dorset St

Hello all,

Can anybody tell me anything about the origin of this photo?

Found it on this site..

best wishes

Phil
              Attached Files
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

• I don't know about the origin but I believe it first appeared in Andy and Sue Parlour's book
                Chris

Comment

• Hello Chris,

Many thanks.

I haven't (shamefully) got that one...

So if Andy or Sue are popping in, I would love to hear from whence it came?

Or indeed if anyone else knows?

best wishes

Phil
                  Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

• I've just checked my copy of the book and the photo is on page 54. It is captioned:
                    Rare photo of Miller's Court.
                    I can't see any attribution as to where the photo came from.

Comment

• Hello Chris,

Many thanks again. Interesting photo. The "window" centre, top of picture, left hand side of alleyway... is it a window?
                      Reminds me of one of those old pub signs.

best wishes

Phil
                      Last edited by Phil Carter; 04-29-2010, 03:35 AM.
                      Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

• On the facing page, the Parlours have the classic shot of Dorset Street which, they say, is facing west toward the Providence Row Refuge, instead of east toward Commercial Street, so I wouldn't put a lot of faith in their knowledge of photographs. Besides, it doesn't even look like Miller's Court.

Comment

• It couldn't possibly be Miller's Court unless the overhead passageway was removed. The first door on the right would have to be the way into the stairwell next to Kelly's room. I just don't see this as a possibility for the Court from any angle.

Mike
                          huh?

Comment

• Hello Mike,

I didn't like to judge on first thought, but admit that this is my view as well. The "Inn sign"/window made me wonder infact, and the length of the "open" area in the alleyway seemed different than the Miller's Court. I would like to know the origin of this photo.

best wishes

Phil
                            Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Accountability? ....

Comment

• It's possible there were some changes made to the Court and that this photograph is a reversed copy. That's what I see as the only way this could be Miller's Court based upon the various schemes of it that have cropped up over the years.

Cheers,

Mike
                              huh?

Comment

• Hi all,

With the obvious exception of the Dorset Street houses, the buildings in Millers Court were two storeys high (ground floor and first floor [UK]; first floor and second floor [US]). The buildings in the picture are higher.

Regards,

Mark

Comment

Working...
                                X