No announcement yet.

Timelining and revealing the MM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you contact the A-Z editors then on behalf of this? Nicely?
    Best regards,
    Maria

Comment

• Originally posted by mariab View Post
      Would you contact the A-Z editors then on behalf of this? Nicely?
      Sorry i have misplaced my nice hat !

Comment

• Here it is: Nice (or at least neutral) might help in this case.
        Best regards,
        Maria

Comment

• good job

Hello Phil. Good job.

I think juxtaposing these opinions was a good idea.

Cheers.
          LC

Comment

• Yes, thanks so much to Phil Cates for taking the time to chronologically list up what the different literature claims about the matter in question. It must obviously have been a lot of work.
            Lynn, so sorry for my late response (I've been stupidly ill, again, since yesterday, possibly with food poisoning), and thank you SO much for willing to write for me. I've just emailed you. (I'm not applying at Berkeley after all, but at Johns Hopkins and other.)
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

• Hello Maria,

Although Lynn is a nice guy, he won't want me taking his name!..LOL

Lynn,

Thank you. It was most interesting to see the different views and how we read them over the years. This was of course only 15 books, I didnt have time to go through more! I probably missed some things written here and there. Humanum errare est, eh?

best wishes

Phil
              Last edited by Phil Carter; 11-04-2010, 02:50 AM.
              Chelsea FC. TRUE BLUE. 💙

Justice for the 96 = achieved
              Accountability? ....

Comment

• Oh my, I typed in “Phil Cates“ instead of Phil Carter! Too late to edit this now.
                (Freudian slip? Don't think so, as you two have very similar names.)
                Anyway, apologies...
                Best regards,
                Maria

Comment

• Simple

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
                  Hi Jonathan,
                  The "Macnaghten Report" is filed at Scotland Yard as MEPO 3/140, ff. 177-83.
                  Why is the Casebook PDF version minus the folio numbers?
                  Regards,
                  Simon
                  Well that's a simple one to answer. The 'pagination', i.e. folio (or page) numbers are nothing to do with Scotland Yard, they were stamped on all the documents by the PRO when they acquired the files in the 1980s. The version without the number on it is simply the copy of the document taken whilst it was still at New Scotland Yard in the 1970s and it had no folio numbers stamped on it at that time. At least that dispels this particular whiff of conspiracy.
                  SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• So it's pretty much what I was proposing, apart from the fact that the pagination was added by stamping instead of a typewriter, and that I (stupidly) have no idea what the PRO is.
                    Best regards,
                    Maria

Comment

• Pro

Originally posted by mariab View Post
                      So it's pretty much what I was proposing, apart from the fact that the pagination was added by stamping instead of a typewriter, and that I (stupidly) have no idea what the PRO is.
                      PRO stands for Public Record Office, as was, it is now TNA or The National Archives. The Metropolitan Police, although retaining authority over their files, were required by statute to lodge their old files of this sort with the PRO (TNA).
                      SPE

Treat me gently I'm a newbie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stewart P Evans View Post
                        PRO stands for Public Record Office, as was, it is now TNA or The National Archives. The Metropolitan Police, although retaining authority over their files, were required by statute to lodge their old files of this sort with the PRO (TNA).
                        Another meaning of TNA is "Take nothing away" very approriate having regards to what has gone missing from there over the years.

Comment

• Thank you so much for explaining about PRO. Good to hear that these materials are available at TNA now.
                          I can imagine things have gone missing from PRO over the years, but NOT from TNA!
                          Best regards,
                          Maria

Comment

• to err

Hello Phil. That reminds me of the sign displayed at the DA's office in "Helter Skelter"--"To err is human, but to forgive is against departmental policy."

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

• Helter Skelter, eh? I assume you're referring to the 1976 TV film (which I've never seen). It's based on Steve Bugliosi's book, but I don't think it's a documentary.
                              I apologize for (very briefly) misdirecting this thread, but (if I might ask a very quick question, instead of starting a new thread that might go unnoticed for weeks), has anyone here ever visited the Musée de la Préfecture de Police (which appears to be the French equivalent to the London Metropolitan Museum) at the Quartier Latin in Paris? This Museum contains police archives, and Lynn, look what I've found in their online catalogue:
                              SERIE B/A – Période 1869-1970:
                              Rapports de recherches et de renseignements émanant de la Police de Sûreté et de la Police de Renseignement dans un premier temps, de la Direction des Renseignements Généraux pour la section contemporaine.
                              Inventaire: 2 volumes (BA 1ère Partie, plus fichier alphabétique) et (BA 2ème Partie, classement alphabétique: thèmes et personnalités).

Promising, ain't it? I'll definitely go through these 2 inventories, looking for your favorite member of the Paris Okhrana. It can't hurt even to keep an eye open for a certain Danish person of interest, although for the latter I have my doubts...
                              Plus I've found you a link to the archives of the Belgian Police de Sûreté for people moving around Europe. It's not Amsterdam, but it's close. I'll email you with this.
                              Many apologies for the parenthesis, and I'm curious to know if anyone here is familiar with this Police Museum in Paris.
                              Best regards,
                              Maria

Comment

• yup

Hello Maria. Yup. Butterworth was there. But he may not have been looking for what we are.

By all means, a good idea for research.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X