Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC Amos Simpson

Hi all,

Thought it would be beneficial to note all things to do with Constable Simpson here. I'd like this to be a DNA/shawl free zone, so please, no mention on the M or S words, unless directly related to Simpson.

Firstly, here is the family recollection of Simpsons career.

"Amos Simpson was born in 1847 at Acton, Sudbury, Suffolk. He joined the Metropolitan Police in 1868 and was posted to Y Division (Kentish Town). In 1881 he was promoted to Acting Sergeant and in 1886 he was posted N Division (Islington). At its Southern point N Division is very close to the City boundary and Mitre Square. Simpson retired sometime around 1893 and he died on 10th April 1917 at Barrow Hill, Acton."

I'd like to point out that Simpson move from Y to N Division was not down to transfer in the traditional sense, but rather down to the divisional boundary changes of 1886, which saw Cheshunt PS move jurisdiction from Y to N division. Therefore Simpson went with it and became an N Division collar number.

This, I feel, explains his continual acting sergeant rank across Y and N, and points heavily, as Ed Stow has suggested elsewhere, that Simpson was predominantly based as Cheshunt PS, at the northern point of N Division, for most of his Met career.

The chances of him being located 'very close to the City and Mitre Square', seem remote.

Monty
    Last edited by Monty; 09-17-2014, 09:13 AM.
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Originally posted by Monty View Post
    Hi all,

Thought it would be beneficial to note all things to do with Constable Simpson here. I'd like this to be a DNA/shawl free zone, so please, no mention on the M or S words, unless directly related to Simpson.

Firstly, here is the family recollection of Simpsons career.

"Amos Simpson was born in 1847 at Acton, Sudbury, Suffolk. He joined the Metropolitan Police in 1868 and was posted to Y Division (Kentish Town). In 1881 he was promoted to Acting Sergeant and in 1886 he was posted N Division (Islington). At its Southern point N Division is very close to the City boundary and Mitre Square. Simpson retired sometime around 1893 and he died on 10th April 1917 at Barrow Hill, Acton."

I'd like to point out that Simpson move from Y to N Division was not down to transfer in the traditional sense, but rather down to the divisional boundary changes of 1886, which saw Cheshunt PS move jurisdiction from Y to N division. Therefore Simpson went with it and became an N Division collar number.

This, I feel, explains his continual acting sergeant rank across Y and N, and points heavily, as Ed Stow has suggested elsewhere, that Simpson was predominantly based as Cheshunt PS, at the northern point of N Division, for most of his Met career.

The chances of him being located 'very close to the City and Mitre Square', seem remote.

Monty
    Hi

Have you found any reference to him being seconded to H Division as part of the extra police patrols ?
    Last edited by Trevor Marriott; 09-17-2014, 09:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor Marriott View Post
      Hi

Have you found any reference to him being seconded to H Division as part of the extra police patrols ?
      Not yet Trevor.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Hi Monty,

Do we know where he was living and working in 1888? Earlier in his career he was in Islington, according to the 1881 census and a press report posted on JTRF. By 1891 he had moved to Cheshunt, but I'm not sure when the move took place.

MrB

Comment

Hi Monty,

Thank you very much.

Excellent information. No flim, no flam.

So between 1868 and 1872 Amos Simpson may have known Sergeant 24Y.

Regards,

Simon
          Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

Thank you Monty, facts are what we need and most of us want.
            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
              Thank you Monty, facts are what we need and most of us want.
              G'day Gut,

Couldn't agree more. The trouble is, what we don't seem to know is where Amos was in 1888. He was in Islington/Pancras in the early 1880's, and had moved to the suburbs by 1891. If he was living and working in Cheshunt in 1888, then the chances of his being officially or unofficially involved in any of the WM are pretty remote. But if he was still living and working in the southern area of N division, then the City and H division were only a short walk away.

MrB
              Last edited by MrBarnett; 09-17-2014, 06:27 PM.

Comment

It's very frustrating.

Comment

Hello Monty ,

This may or may not be a tad flimsy but , As some may be aware , it was yours truly who unearthed the street name change regarding Mitre Sq witness , Joseph Lawende's home address " 45 Norfolk road " later changed to "Mitchinson road" My Granddad actually lived next door at "#43 " The street and address are still standing today ..

Long story short , there was an old Ex policeman who's family still lived down the street in 1945 .. On checking the Polls I come across the Simpson family! not too many doors down from Lawende's address ..

Could we have a Major Mitre Sq witness living in Islington, the same Police beat as Amos Simpson ??? maybe even the same street ??? a few doors down ???

Needs further investigation ... but like a say , just a shot in the dark .. Does anyone know of his decedents Christian names ?

Cheerio for now

Moonbegger

Comment

Originally posted by moonbegger View Post
                    Hello Monty ,

This may or may not be a tad flimsy but , As some may be aware , it was yours truly who unearthed the street name change regarding Mitre Sq witness , Joseph Lawende's home address " 45 Norfolk road " later changed to "Mitchinson road" My Granddad actually lived next door at "#43 " The street and address are still standing today ..

Long story short , there was an old Ex policeman who's family still lived down the street in 1945 .. On checking the Polls I come across the Simpson family! not too many doors down from Lawende's address ..

Could we have a Major Mitre Sq witness living in Islington, the same Police beat as Amos Simpson ??? maybe even the same street ??? a few doors down ???

Needs further investigation ... but like a say , just a shot in the dark .. Does anyone know of his decedents Christian names ?

Cheerio for now

Moonbegger
                    Hi Moonbegger,

Did ask you this on the other thread, but think it got overlooked......

I have an 1881 Census where Amos Simpson is living at 21 Stanley Buildings, St.Pancras (district of Marylebone) , is this what is being classified as him living in Islington?

His children are listed as Henry (3years) and Ellen (1 month)

Amanda

Comment

Hello Amanda ,

His children are listed as Henry (3years) and Ellen (1 month)
                      Sorry for missing this on the Avalanche thread

I think Monty has posted most of his known whereabouts on here , I am only aware of him being stationed in Islington in 88 . As for his home address in St Pancras , around 1881 , I would not be surprised if that was during his Kentish town days seeing as St Pancras is not too far from Kentish town .. but I'm sure there are many here than can correct me if wrong .

Ok possible goosebump moment .. On re-checking the poll's for 1945 .. a few doors down from Mitre Sq witness Lawende .. the old Ex Policemans address , I just found the name Ellen Simpson !!!!!!

Is this just coincidence ??????

Major Mitre Sq witness living a few doors down from Amos Simpson

I'm gonna write a book and open a shop

moonbegger .
                      Last edited by moonbegger; 09-19-2014, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Coincidences

[QUOTE=moonbegger;310385]Hello Amanda ,

Sorry for missing this on the Avalanche thread

I think Monty has posted most of his known whereabouts on here , I am only aware of him being stationed in Islington in 88 . As for his home address in St Pancras , around 1881 , I would not be surprised if that was during his Kentish town days seeing as St Pancras is not too far from Kentish town .. but I'm sure there are many here than can correct me if wrong .

Ok possible goosebump moment .. On re-checking the poll's for 1945 .. a few doors down from Mitre Sq witness Lawende .. the old Ex Policemans address , I just found the name Ellen Simpson !!!!!!

Is this just coincidence ??????

Major Mitre Sq witness living a few doors down from Amos Simpson

I'm gonna write a book and open a shop

Hi Moonbegger,

Mm, it would be strange having Amos Simpson & Lawende living so close together.
                        The other residents in Stanley Buildings when Simpson was there were all relatively working class families.

Just a thought though, if Amos Simpson was still living there in 1888, he could easily have caught the ELC train to Whitechapel district, Stanley Buildings are right in front of St.Pancras station.

Good luck with your book, I'd buy that over Russell Edwards' any day

Perhaps you could call it ' The Simpson Diaries'

Amanda

Comment

Sorry folks, but Ellen Simpson married Morris Stearns in 1902, so unless she got divorced and reverted to her maiden name, that wasn't her in 1945.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                            Sorry folks, but Ellen Simpson married Morris Stearns in 1902, so unless she got divorced and reverted to her maiden name, that wasn't her in 1945.
                            Hello Robert ,

Two world wars ?? My Nans sister is also on the same poll using her maiden name even though she was married .. Do we know if Ellen had a middle name ?

cheers

moonbegger ..

Comment

Only Ellen...

Originally posted by moonbegger View Post
                              Hello Robert ,

Two world wars ?? My Nans sister is also on the same poll using her maiden name even though she was married .. Do we know if Ellen had a middle name ?

cheers

moonbegger ..
                              Hi,
                              No, Ellen didn't have a middle name. In 1911 the whole family (incl Amos) are living in Barrow Hill, Suffolk.

I'll keep digging later & see if I can trace Ellen's children.
                              Amanda
                              Last edited by Amanda; 09-19-2014, 11:14 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

Working...
                              X