No announcement yet.

PC Amos Simpson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amos Simpson joined the Metropolitan Police in 1868 and he retired after serving his full term of 25 years in 1893. He was awarded a slightly inflated pension for a Constable, no doubt because he was an Acting Sergeant for so long.
    Although in Hertfordshire, Cheshunt was covered by the Metropolitan Police until 2000.

Amos Simpson was living in Cheshunt in 1888, and he was based at Cheshunt Police Station.
    It has been checked.

Comment

Originally posted by moonbegger View Post
      Ellen G Simpson living (1945) a few doors down from Lawende's address in Mitchinson Rd ( then Norfolk Rd ) may have been related to Amos ? .
      Probably not, Moonbeggar. There were 37 Ellen Simpsons on the 1945 London electoral roll alone . Yours was at 15 Mitchinson Road, where she can be shown living between 1945 and 1960.

She may have been Ellen G Bowden who married William HS Simpson in Paddington in 1923 and who may have had a child Audrey GS Simpson in 1925.

Having said that, until someone does the genealogy, we can't know for sure.
      Mick Reed

Whatever happened to scepticism?

Comment

Originally posted by Lechmere View Post
        Amos Simpson joined the Metropolitan Police in 1868 and he retired after serving his full term of 25 years in 1893. He was awarded a slightly inflated pension for a Constable, no doubt because he was an Acting Sergeant for so long.
        Although in Hertfordshire, Cheshunt was covered by the Metropolitan Police until 2000.

Amos Simpson was living in Cheshunt in 1888, and he was based at Cheshunt Police Station.
        It has been checked.
        That sounds good, Lechmere. Do you have sources?
        Mick Reed

Comment

I know what the sources are. But it is work in progress, so I cannot say any more. The information known so far does not disprove the possibility that Simpson could have been seconded on some sort of special duty.

Comment

I know what the sources are. But it is work in progress, so I cannot say any more. The information known so far does not disprove the possibility that Simpson could have been seconded on some sort of special duty.
            Fair enough and thanks.
            Mick Reed

Comment

Hey Lechmere,

This is obviously quite unscientific, but most Met coppers I've researched show up in press reports, or at the Old Bailey, as being court witnesses, or arresting officers, or whatever.

Amos doesn't appear to do do so. So could we read from this that he did a lot of undercover work, or just that he didn't get out of the station much and was more of a desk jockey?
              Mick Reed

Comment

Originally posted by mickreed View Post
                Hey Lechmere,

This is obviously quite unscientific, but most Met coppers I've researched show up in press reports, or at the Old Bailey, as being court witnesses, or arresting officers, or whatever.

Amos doesn't appear to do do so. So could we read from this that he did a lot of undercover work, or just that he didn't get out of the station much and was more of a desk jockey?
                As Ed states, work is ongoing. He is doing his research, independent of my own research, and I must say that it seems he is coming to the same conclusion as I.

As for Special Duties, Simpsons position as a uniformed officer makes it unlikely he would work undercover, in fact it would be unprecedented.

He either was acting as duty sergeant, or a section sergeant. He was, as some stage, a reserve sergeant, and possibly clerk sergeant, which is supported by his role as a coroners officer.

Suffice to say, ALL of these roles are far removed from undercover work as suggested in Edwards book.

Monty
                Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                  As Ed states, work is ongoing. He is doing his research, independent of my own research, and I must say that it seems he is coming to the same conclusion as I.

As for Special Duties, Simpsons position as a uniformed officer makes it unlikely he would work undercover, in fact it would be unprecedented.

He either was acting as duty sergeant, or a section sergeant. He was, as some stage, a reserve sergeant, and possibly clerk sergeant, which is supported by his role as a coroners officer.

Suffice to say, ALL of these roles are far removed from undercover work as suggested in Edwards book.

Monty
                  Cheers Neil

And may explain why he doesn't seem to figure in many (any?) press reports
                  Mick Reed

Comment

Press Reports

Originally posted by mickreed View Post
                    Cheers Neil

And may explain why he doesn't seem to figure in many (any?) press reports
                    Hi Mick,
                    I've found a couple of press reports mentioning Amos Simpson. One where he is involved in an arrest & the other where he was assaulted by a drunken butcher while on duty in 'Ossulston Street'.
                    In court, Amos Simpson stated that he was suffering from great pain following the assault. It's in the Illustrated Police News, 1876.

Amanda

Comment

I can't put a figure on it, but I have a feeling that two or three press mentions in a 25 year career isn't bad going, if a policeman wasn't involved in a well-reported and long-running trial. And of course there could be reports yet to emerge.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                        Hi Mick,
                        I've found a couple of press reports mentioning Amos Simpson. One where he is involved in an arrest & the other where he was assaulted by a drunken butcher while on duty in 'Ossulston Street'.
                        In court, Amos Simpson stated that he was suffering from great pain following the assault. It's in the Illustrated Police News, 1876.

Amanda
                        Hey Amanda.

Yes there are a couple from earlier on in his career. I have one from 1871. Of course, absence of evidence ain't evidence of absence, but he doesn't seem to feature much (at all?) in the 1880s - certainly not in the online sources. If, as Neil and Ed have suggested (assuming I'm reading them right), he was more of a desk jockey in Cheshunt, then that would explain it, and also make it even more unlikely that he was 'undercover' around Mitre Square.

Cheers
                        Mick Reed

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post
                          I can't put a figure on it, but I have a feeling that two or three press mentions in a 25 year career isn't bad going, if a policeman wasn't involved in a well-reported and long-running trial. And of course there could be reports yet to emerge.
                          Maybe, and as you say, there may be more to be found.

But, it seemed a bit unlikely for a copper on the beat to be quite so invisible, and thought this might be suggestive.

And now it seems as though he may not have been on the beat, let alone undercover, by the later-1880s which reduces the likelihood of his being in Mitre Square.
                          Mick Reed

Comment

Hi Mick

As I understand it (but could well be wrong) if he was an Acting Sgt then he could have been on the streets, but not on the beat. He would have been checking up on the constables who were on the beat.

Re Cheshunt, I don't know how well reported Cheshunt was in the Press. It was certainly a bit rural, to judge from the first item on the first image here :

Comment

Interesting twist...

Hi Guys,

Maybe irrelevant but this puts an interesting spin on things:

In 1871 Jane Wilkins (later to become Mrs.Amos Simpson) was working as a servant for Abraham Mocatta & family.

For those who don't know - Abraham Mocatta was the Founder of the West London Synagogue of British Jews.

Amanda

Comment

Originally posted by Amanda View Post
                                Hi Guys,

Maybe irrelevant but this puts an interesting spin on things:

In 1871 Jane Wilkins (later to become Mrs.Amos Simpson) was working as a servant for Abraham Mocatta & family.

For those who don't know - Abraham Mocatta was the Founder of the West London Synagogue of British Jews.

Amanda
                                Now that, Amanda, could open a myriad of worm-filled cans.

Well done!!!!
                                Mick Reed

Comment

Working...
                                X