X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC882 Joseph PHIPPS City of London Police

Joseph Daniel PHIPPS

Born circ 1846

Joins City of London Police c1871 collar number 882.

Posted Bishopsgate Police Station.

2 April 1871 census - has him living at 11 New Union Street, St. Giles Without Cripplegate. [City Police Officer]. With his wife Sarah.

4th August 1871 PHIPPS is mentioned in the London Daily Chronicle and Clerkenwell News -
    ....treatement recieved that night. He had been ill ever since and unable to do duty, indeed, could not raise his arm. Joseph PHIPPS 882, saw the assault spoken of WRIGHT and DAVIES, corroborated all they said. William KERRIDGE 871 said from information..........

23rd October 1874 PHIPPS is mentioned in a newspaper report from The Morning Post -
    ....or dead?? she came to her senses she gave instructions to the police to apprehend the prisoner and that night Jospeh PHIPPS 882 took him into custody, slightly under the influence of drink. When he told that he was charged with kicking his wife, he................

15th September 1879 he gives evidence at the Old Bailey, relating to coining offences at the Raven Public House 185-187 Bishopsgate Street, (4 minute walk from 182 Bishopsgate, the police station.)

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18790915-764&div=t18790915-764&terms=Joseph PHIPPS#highlight

26th April 1880 he gives evidence at a murder trial which centered around the Railway Tavern, 15 Liverpool Street (4 minute walk from Bishopsgate Station).

https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18800426-405&div=t18800426-405&terms=Joseph PHIPPS#highlight

3 April 1881 census - 31 Huntingdon Buildings, Bethnal Green. [City Police Constable].

21st September 1884 PHIPPS is mentioned in the Lloyd's Weekly newspaper -
    ....Taylor in the emply of Mr PLATT were summoned for wantone driving with their horse and omnibuses on Cornhill. Police Constable 882 said at midnight on Friday the 12th instance, he saw the defendants driving thier horses and ominbuses in Cornhill at full.....

22nd November 1886 he gives evidence again at the Old Bailey, this time relating to an incident of theft at the Sir John Flagstaff public house 45-46 Houndsditch & Cutler Street, (4 minute walk from Bishopsgate Station. Also note within a few minutes walk of his 1891 address at King's Block.)
    https://www.oldbaileyonline.org/browse.jsp?id=t18861122-16&div=t18861122-16&terms=Joseph PHIPPS#highlight

20th February 1887 PHIPPS is mentioned in the Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper-
    ....attempting to commit suicide on the 23rd January by cutting his throat with a razor, the evidence of Police Constable Joseph PHIPPS. It appeared that on the 23rd January last he was called to 28 Aldergate Street and that that a man had attempted.......

9th March 1890 - PHIPPS is mentioned in the newspaper The People Newspaper
    ...pieces, and at a Police Court with being drunk and assaulting thirds wits so much injured that he shortly after Police Constable PHIPPS 882. She had been tens wards died times convicted and the alderman said he hardly two serious accidents have happened.

5 April 1891 census - 8 Kings Block, St Botolph Aldgate. [Policeman].

1901 now retired and living in Bromley.

1911 living in Marylebone. Place of birth given as Tower of Renton (have been unable to locate this?)

No service papers exist with the City of London Police relating to PHIPPS. Only 60% of all their records survive.
    Attached Files

Interesting points to note. PHIPPS lived at 8 King's Block in 1891. Was he living there in September 1888? The Ripper is purported to have fled Mitre Square his footsteps being following in that direction before being lost, via King's Block. It is alleged he left graffiti there, that was subsequently photograph by the City Police.

Was PHIPPS involved in crowd control or securing the Mitre Square scene, we'll never know. But one thing that we can say with some level of certainty is that given that he served with the City Police from at least 1871 to at least 1891 or indeed 1897. He would without a doubt have had Mitre Square as part of his beat at some point?
    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Station Cat.

Thanks for posting.

Does anyone have any info to indicate if PC Phipps had any duties regarding the WMs?

(Not withstanding "No service papers exist with the City of London Police relating to PHIPPS. Only 60% of all their records survive.")

Martyn
      Last edited by mpriestnall; 07-22-2019, 03:57 PM.

Comment

This is dupe of earlier of info, but a bit fuller:

Census 1911
        Joseph Daniel Phipps
        Servant
        Age 65
        Married
        Night Watchman
        Born Tower of London

Born Tower of London. Not literally I hope.

1911 - 65 = 1846

Martyn
        Last edited by mpriestnall; 07-22-2019, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Joseph Daniel Phipps
          Electoral Registers 1890
          5 King's block, Artizans' street, London

According to a family tree on Ancestry UK
          Death: 18-11-1933, Hendon, Middx.

Martyn
          Last edited by mpriestnall; 07-22-2019, 04:22 PM.

Comment

The parallel thread over on Forums has some further info

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
              Hi Station Cat.

Thanks for posting.

Does anyone have any info to indicate if PC Phipps had any duties regarding the WMs?

(Not withstanding "No service papers exist with the City of London Police relating to PHIPPS. Only 60% of all their records survive.")

Martyn
              Try as I might, I have been unable to find any direct evidence that he took any part in the WM's. However, I can confirm that he was stationed at Bishopsgate Police Station at the right time, so he would with a doubt have played some part. Whether that was crowd control at Mitre Square or follow up inquiries conducted. He would also have patrolled Mitre Square directly at some point if not regularly, other than that nearest thing I've ascertained from a Ripper related connection is that he lived in King's Block and they had a brief mention post Eddowes murder.

Comment

Originally posted by mpriestnall View Post
                This is dupe of earlier of info, but a bit fuller:

Census 1911
                Joseph Daniel Phipps
                Servant
                Age 65
                Married
                Night Watchman
                Born Tower of London

Born Tower of London. Not literally I hope.

1911 - 65 = 1846

Martyn
                Thanks for this additional information Martin, it is greatly appreciated.

Re the Tower of London I'm currently trying to confirm that. I know his father was in the Grenadier Guards so perhaps Joseph was born in the Tower itself?

Comment

Gordon, this may help :

Comment

Originally posted by Robert View Post

It certainly does, thanks Robert!!!

Comment

Gordon, having noticed that Ancestry don't seem to have City of London electorals before 1890, I have been in touch with the LMA who don't have the 1880s, but who suggested I contact the Guildhall. The Guildhall told me they do have some electorals for the 1880s, but it depends on the ward. Here is their email address :

guildhall.library@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Ancestry have Joseph Daniel Phipps at 5 King's Block, Artizans' Street in 1890 and #8 thereafter - Division 1, Portsoken.

Comment

Gordon, having noticed that Ancestry don't seem to have City of London electorals before 1890, I have been in touch with the LMA who don't have the 1880s, but who suggested I contact the Guildhall. The Guildhall told me they do have some electorals for the 1880s, but it depends on the ward. Here is their email address :

guildhall.library@cityoflondon.gov.uk

Ancestry have Joseph Daniel Phipps at 5 King's Block, Artizans' Street in 1890 and #8 thereafter - Division 1, Portsoken.
                        Thanks for the tip Robert. Have sent them an email.

Comment

Gordon I've sent you a PM.

Comment

Baptism St Botolph Aldgate 1887.

Post 25
                            Last edited by Robert; 07-27-2019, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Baptism St Botolph Aldgate 1887.

Post 25
                              http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread....d=1#post376868
                              Thanks Robert!! This pretty much confirms that Joseph & Sarah would have been living in King's Block at the time of the Ripper.

Comment

Working...
                              X