Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Abberline?

Hi Rob,
    I would even think that your photo of a possible Abberline might be Henry again with Smith to his right? But thats just a guess ....What do you think?

Pat........................................

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      "I note that the man in the top photo with the dog is missing in the bottom photo."

Hi Swampy, Re the plain clothes front row.
      The chap with the dog (top photo) is my great grandfathers brother Henry Cox. The man to the Right is Sagar and I believe the man to the left was thought to be Smith....
      I heard Henry received a medal so I suppose it could have been this Jubilee medal.

Pat............................................
      Hi Pat,
      Thanks for your reply but I am still unable to find any info about det Inspector Thomas Abbott. All records seem to have disappeared without trace.
      I also have a Jubilee Medal of his.
      He had obviously made quick progress through the ranks and I have a number of newspaper articles relating to court cases he was involved with.
      He was unfortunately retired on medical grounds in 1890 after his wife threw Vitreol in his face and blinded him. She was convicted and given 5 years penal servitude. Nice lady!!!

Comment

This link might be useful, has all the names of the Detectives involved

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Hi Monty, I was researching my family tree probably. There was a lot on an old thread comparing their photos. Sorry not sure what thread it was but it was about a year ago....
          I think it was this one:
          For discussion of general police procedures, officials and police matters that do not have a specific forum.

I am not absolutely sure it is Henry Cox, though I think it may well be, and I do feel the other man is Robert Sagar.

At least we have a definite photo of Henry's daughter Constance Cox, the "lady detective" ...

Comment

I doubt if the guy sitting to the right of Cox (if it is Cox) is Sagar. The facial structure compared to his later photo you juxtaposed is quite different. If anything, the man sitting on the ground on the right looks more like Captain Peacock.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Nelson View Post
              I doubt if the guy sitting to the right of Cox (if it is Cox) is Sagar. The facial structure compared to his later photo you juxtaposed is quite different. If anything, the man sitting on the ground on the right looks more like Captain Peacock.
              Obviously the photo of Sagar from 1905 is of a much heavier man. For those interested in making the comparison there is a clearer version of the photo in the Wiki section:

Comment

Thomas Abbott

Hi Swampy , if you go onto Old Bailey Online, Monday, December 12th, 1892.

Case:86. ISAAC GRISZARD (20) was indicted for stealing 184 baskets and £9, of Edward Pink. Second Count, receiving the same.

Is this your Thomas? If so it would seem he may have returned to work?

THOMAS ABBOTT (Detective-sergeant City). The inquiry with regard to these missing baskets was put into my hands—from September 21st to 26th I and other officers kept observation on this cellar at Sandys Street.

Pat..................
                Last edited by Paddy; 08-26-2013, 02:47 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I am a new poster. I believe the Police Sergeant standing on the right on the third row is Sergeant Robert McVitty No.69 based at Cloak Lane Police Station at the time of the murders.

Comment

Originally posted by DUNCAN39 View Post
                    I am a new poster. I believe the Police Sergeant standing on the right on the third row is Sergeant Robert McVitty No.69 based at Cloak Lane Police Station at the time of the murders.
                    Welcome to Casebook, Duncan.

That's a confident first post. Is he a family member?
                    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Thank you Bridewell
                      Yes, he is my wife's grandfather. We have a photograph of him in his police uniform, with 69 on the collars. He retired early,1895, through ill health (we don't know the details) and died at the age of 46 a year later.
                      Regards DUNCAN 39

Comment

This is a photograph of Robert McVitty c.1880
                        I hope I have done this correctly!
                        DUNCAN39
                        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for posting the photograph, Duncan.

Here`s a link to his Old Bailey appearance

Comment

Thank You Jon
                            I have found Sgt McvItty in several Old Bailey trials as well as some press extracts. This extract may be of interest. From other sources the 'purse' contained 25 gold sovereigns. Unfortunately the watch and ring were lost during the bombing of Cheapside in WW2. There were also many City Stockbrokers at the presentation as well as policeman. It is interesting that Inspector Hayes is marked out for mention.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by DUNCAN39; 12-16-2013, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Another photo or same one?

This photo is at the beginning of ripper street, so I assumed it was H division.
                              I have posted on another thread but maybe it should be on here too?
                              The men look very similar to an earlier pic on this thread without the front line of detectives....
                              Pat..................................
                              Attached Files

Comment

Sorry wrong Badges

Feel an idiot just seen the cap badges are different.
                                So....
                                If these lot are H Div, could center man in flat cap be Abberline?

Any info on this lot?
                                Thanks
                                Pat..................

Comment

Working...
                                X