No announcement yet.

City Of London Police Group Photo 1887

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For Suzi, 'Big Chap' 21 pounds and 7 ounces.

Photo is undated.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	cbBishopsgate Cat Big Chap 21 pound and 7 onces.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	662796

My own personal opinion is that this is Abberline
    Click image for larger version

Name:	possible Abberline.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	662797

Rob

Comment

Two more excellent shots, Rob, ta---although I think that the cat looks more like my mental image of Abberline than the chap you've chosen.

Comment

Hi Rob

With all due respect that chap has a somewhat nasty Harry Andrews look to him that does not comply with the softer, friendlier look that the sketches of Abberline show the Chief Inspector had to his countenance. We are still looking for that photograph of Fred, in my humble opinion.

Best regards

Chris
        Christopher T. George
        Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
        just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
        For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
        RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

Group Photo

My Great Grandfather was Detective Inspector Thomas Abbott and I think he was stationed at Bishopsgate. He would have been 29 when this photo was taken so could be one of 2 people in the front row.
          Have you managed to obtain any further info?
          I have tried to get details of his service records from LMA but they have no details other than the date he joined and left.
          As you know his career ended in an unpleasant way.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampy View Post
            My Great Grandfather was Detective Inspector Thomas Abbott and I think he was stationed at Bishopsgate. He would have been 29 when this photo was taken so could be one of 2 people in the front row.
            Have you managed to obtain any further info?
            I have tried to get details of his service records from LMA but they have no details other than the date he joined and left.
            As you know his career ended in an unpleasant way.
            Hi Swampy,

I can't answer your question, but was concerned that your first post had been overlooked. Welcome to Casebook! I confess to not knowing anything of your great-grandfather's career so, while others may not need an update, I would be interested to learn more if you're able to post.
            I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

This may help Colin,

For discussion of general police procedures, officials and police matters that do not have a specific forum.

Monty
              Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

A horrific story.

Comment

This may bring out a bit more detail from the first pic posted
                  Attached Files

Comment

Excellent Chris,

Thank you.

And good to see you around fella.

Monty
                    Monty

Comment

Nice to see you posting again, Chris.

I believe that Thomas died on 8th May 1911 leaving just over £500. He was living in Southend at the time, with son Charles who was a greengrocer's assistant. Since another of Thomas's sons, Thomas jnr, was in Southend too and in that line of trade, it's probable that Charles was working in Thomas jnr's shop.

Comment

Hi Chris,

Very glad to see you posting again! I sincerely hope you're feeling better.

One thing I remind myself of when I see 19th C photos like this is that the individuals pictured are often younger than they look to modern eyes.

The helmets, mustaches, and bushy beards tend to add years to their appearance, not to mention the stiff postures assumed for the camera. When I learn a Victorian individual's actual age after seeing their photo, I'm frequently surprised.

I first noticed this effect with U.S. Civil War photos, but it's generally true for all 19th C. photographs of adults.

Best regards,
                        Archaic

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                          Hi Swampy,

I can't answer your question, but was concerned that your first post had been overlooked. Welcome to Casebook! I confess to not knowing anything of your great-grandfather's career so, while others may not need an update, I would be interested to learn more if you're able to post.
                          Thank you for your reply.
                          I am afraid I keep hotting a dead end with regard to finding information about my Great Grandfather
                          There are many newspaper articles referring to him but I find it difficult to understand why there are no official records of him. Also I would like a photograph as I have never seen a picture of him.
                          As I am an ex police officer myself, I would like to get to the bottom of this.
                          T

Comment

Re two Photos

"I note that the man in the top photo with the dog is missing in the bottom photo."

Hi Swampy, Re the plain clothes front row.
                            The chap with the dog (top photo) is my great grandfathers brother Henry Cox. The man to the Right is Sagar and I believe the man to the left was thought to be Smith....
                            I heard Henry received a medal so I suppose it could have been this Jubilee medal.

Pat............................................

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                              "I note that the man in the top photo with the dog is missing in the bottom photo."

Hi Swampy, Re the plain clothes front row.
                              The chap with the dog (top photo) is my great grandfathers brother Henry Cox. The man to the Right is Sagar and I believe the man to the left was thought to be Smith....
                              I heard Henry received a medal so I suppose it could have been this Jubilee medal.

Pat............................................
                              Where the heck were you when I was researching this Pat? ;-)

Monty
                              Monty

Comment

Henry Cox

Hi Monty, I was researching my family tree probably. There was a lot on an old thread comparing their photos. Sorry not sure what thread it was but it was about a year ago....

Pat........................

Comment

Working...
                                X