"Major Smith rides again
    Through the mystics of tomorrow
    Major Smith rides again
    Have no fear, have no sorrow
    Yeah..."

Amitiés,
    David

Comment

Difference is...I actually LIKE Smith's writing.....accurate or not,exaggerated or not,the chap actually seems to have a sense of humour...............

Comment

For those who are interested to read more of Henry Smith's article quoted by Simon Wood above (though there is nothing more of substance about the Whitechapel Murders), this volume of Blackwood's Magazine is available on Google Books at this URL:

Comment

In addition to the main chapter dealing with the Whitechapel murders, there's also a passing reference to them in this passage about "silent boots":
          "While on the subject of boots, I recollect during the time of the "Whitechapel murders" the absurdity of constables on night duty going their rounds in anything but "silent" boots was freely commented upon. Sometimes such boots are useful. They are easily improvised. I have known men take off their boots and stalk their prey in stockings as silently and successfully as the "man-eater" stalks the tethered goat in the jungle. But we do not all look on noiseless boots from the same point of view. A friend of mine living in Eaton Place, who suffered from insomnia, told me he liked to hear the heavy tread of the policeman in the dark winter nights as he passed his door. It gave him, he said, a feeling of security."
          [Sir Henry Smith, From Constable to Commissioner, pp. 219, 220 (1910)]

Comment

Working...
          X