Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sir Henry Smith Rides Again

Hi All,

Here's an encounter Henry Smith didn't mention in "From Constable to Commissioner" [1910].

Blackwoods Magazine, May 1906

"More About the Streets of London"
    Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Henry Smith, KCB
    Ex-Commissioner City of London Police

The Ashford hop-fields furnished the Whitechapel murder with one of his victims. The night of september 29, 1988, was a glorious one. It was light as day when shortly after midnight Catherine Eddowes left the police station in Bishopsgate, and not three-quarters of an hour afterwards was cut to pieces.This woman was the wife of a soldier, whom she left to drink heavily, and, that, as I afterwards discovered, was not her only failing. She and her "husband" had made some money "hopping," and had got through it all in a week's time.On the afternoon of the 29th she pawned a pair of boots to get something for supper; but,instead of doing so, got drunk on the proceeds and was locked up,—a typical case altogether of everyday life in the "Far East."When sober enough to take care of herself she was released, the "reserve man" in charge of the cells advising her to go straight home and face the "hiding" which she said she was sure to get from her "old man."His advice she didd not follow, for instead of walking away northwards in the direction of "Flower and Dean Street," one of the very worst streets in that notorious locality, he noticed that she turned to the left, and to the left again up Houndsditch, which would lead her to Mitre Square, where she met her fate,presumably in the endeavour to replace by other means the money she had squandered. A ghastly sight she was by the light of the harvest moon as she lay in the corner of the Square, and one not easily forgotten. Her "husband"—bad as he was, he was good for her—I found fairly intelligent, and with a certain amount of confidence in and chivalrous feeling for the miserable being with whom he lived. God knows how his confidence was abused".

"She drank a bit, sir," he admitted, "but I am sure she would never do anything wrong."

"I don't want, I assure you," I said, "at such a time to hurt your feelings, but what was she doing about Aldgate and Mitre Square at that hour?"

"Well, sir, you see," he replied, "this is how it was: she had a daughter, very comfortable, living in Bermondsey; and whenever we were hard up she would go across to her, and she never came back without something."

This story I was disinclined to believe, seeing that he could not, or would not, tell me where the daughter lived; but after a great deal of trouble, having discovered the woman in question, I found she had not seen her mother for years. How the money was got when times were hard does not call for an explanation from me. That explanation "the streets of London" will afford.

Regards,

Simon
    Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Well yes Simon, I agree that Smith often makes the sort of remarks you would expect to hear from a person of the British upper middle class in Victorian Times.England was horrendously class conscious at the time and you can rest assured that he definitely wasnt the only upper middle class police officer who would have thought like that.Anderson was certainly as bad -far worse in my view about Jewish immigrants and Irish Nationalists and in so far as his offensive comments and obvious prejudices about ' certain low class Polish Jewish" persons at least rattled Smith to the point of exasperation-hence his famous remark about Anderson"s "reckless accusations" !

Comment

Thanks for the title of your thread, Simon.

Amitiés,
      David

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
        +
        A ghastly sight she was by the light of the harvest moon as she lay in the corner of the Square, and one not easily forgotten. Her "husband"—bad as he was, he was good for her—I found fairly intelligent, and with a certain amount of confidence in and chivalrous feeling for the miserable being with whom he lived. God knows how his confidence was abused".

"She drank a bit, sir," he admitted, "but I am sure she would never do anything wrong."

"I don't want, I assure you," I said, "at such a time to hurt your feelings, but what was she doing about Aldgate and Mitre Square at that hour?"

"Well, sir, you see," he replied, "this is how it was: she had a daughter, very comfortable, living in Bermondsey; and whenever we were hard up she would go across to her, and she never came back without something."

This story I was disinclined to believe, seeing that he could not, or would not, tell me where the daughter lived; but after a great deal of trouble, having discovered the woman in question, I found she had not seen her mother for years. How the money was got when times were hard does not call for an explanation from me. That explanation "the streets of London" will afford.

My, Horrid Henry had a way with words didn't he.

Thanks for that Simon.
        allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

Thanks for that, Simon.

Nats, are you saying you disagree with Smith?

I suggested years ago that her 'daughter in Bermondsey' story was a ruse to get out and prostitute herself. Of course, I also think Kelly had an idea what was going on, if he didn't outrightly support her prostitution.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Originally posted by Simon Wood View Post
            It was light as day when shortly after midnight Catherine Eddowes left the police station in Bishopsgate... A ghastly sight she was by the light of the harvest moon as she lay in the corner of the Square....
            This is interesting. Perhaps the ambient light in Mitre Square, and Berner Street for that matter, was greater than we thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
              Thanks for that, Simon.

Nats, are you saying you disagree with Smith?

I suggested years ago that her 'daughter in Bermondsey' story was a ruse to get out and prostitute herself. Of course, I also think Kelly had an idea what was going on, if he didn't outrightly support her prostitution.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott
              Well Tom,I do have a certain regard for Major Smith I must admit.
              Now that doesnt mean that I applaud everything else he says and does in his "Hoorah Henry" type of an autobiography.
              He is very much the upper class gent, after all, keen on " huntin"shootin" and fishin" and "talking the talk " common then in gentlemen"s London clubs- loud ,slap your thighs stuff while roaring with laughter about something a bit smutty about someone"s unfaithful wife kind of thing.
              But what I really respect him for is his total rejection of bullshit about the police knowing who the Ripper was.He will have not a jot of it
              "We didnt know then,we dont know now,twenty years later-who he is,where he lived-he had us all completely beat!"

Now that piece of information, coming from a man who went on to become the Chief Commissioner of the City of London Police in 1890 and who was there at the time and attended the Mitre Square crime scene,is,in my opinion valuable in the extreme.He like Macnaghten and Abberline would have known, if anyone knew.
              But it most certainly doesnt make him popular among the theorists now who prefer to believe the "definitely ascertainable facts" of Robert Anderson!Rarely have I seen a Police Chief of his rank trashed so unanimously by those who offer their own suspects up while beatifying Robert Anderson---or should I say "canonising" him.
              Last edited by Natalie Severn; 02-18-2010, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Hi Grave Maurice,

A Harvest Moon appears at the autumnal equinox, which in 1888 was on 22nd September. Henry Smith was a week too early in this observation.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

We use the term harvest moon here, too, but all we mean by it is the full moon closest to the autumnal equinox. It can appear in late September or even early October. Do we know what phase the moon was in at the end of September 1888?

Comment

Hi GM,

September 1888—

New Moon—5th [4.56 pm]
                    First Quarter—12th [9.59 pm]
                    Full Moon—19th [5.24 pm]
                    Last Quarter—27th [8.30 pm]

October 1888—

New Moon—5th [2.34 am]

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Thanks, Simon. Gee, poor old Henry can't even get the stage of the moon right. Another indication of how much faith we can put in his recollections.

Comment

Hi GM,

Exactly. He also has Eddowes venturing forth from Bishopsgate police station "shortly after midnight".

Regards,

Simon

Comment

What did I tell ya folks!They all play lets trash Henry who was so unlike Macnaghten with his 41 year old drowned doc theory and Anderson with his Polish Jew suspect [whose people knew he was Jack the Ripper and made sure they hid him so he could go on doing his wicked deeds]
                          Anyway,Swanson backed him with his dead man walking in Colney Hatch loony bin doodles-so Anderson must be right!

Psst -but confidentially- theirs were all "definitely ascertainable facts" -even though they disagreed with each other!
                          Last edited by Natalie Severn; 02-19-2010, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Pssst, Norma....what the hell are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by The Grave Maurice View Post
                              Pssst, Norma....what the hell are you talking about?
                              translated for GM:
                              When Swanson added his memorandum notes to Robert Anderson"s definitely ascertainable fact,I recall him stating that he was sent to Colney Hatch "and died shortly afterwards".
                              Now if this was Aaron Kosminski they were both talking about,then Aaron was a kind of "dead man walking" because he was alive until 1919.
                              I was poking fun a bit thats all-like others were at Smith who was also a very senior policeman in London at the time of these murders and didnt go for all that hogwash. The rest is just taking the p out of A"s statements regarding the antics "low class Polish Jews" got up to to evade "Gentile justice".
                              Forgive me ---
                              Cheers GM

Comment

Working...
                              X