Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would the bloodhounds have saved Warren's career ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by halomanuk View Post
    They wouldn't have had much to lose by trying it !!
    Which would translate in Provençal by:

"Se ti fai pas gaù, ti fara pas maù."

Amitiés,
    David

Comment

And then some.....

Comment

Originally posted by Nemo View Post
        The fear of the use of bloodhounds is another story...
        Indeed Nemo - and I do have to wonder whether Kate's killer may have mulled over what he thought the possibilities were, before dropping half of her apron in that doorway.

Was he perhaps anticipating the following order of events: 1) the finding of Kate herself, minus half her pinny, prompting 2) the sending out of a search party to try and retrieve the missing half, in the hope that its whereabouts might afford them a clew leading to the apron-snatcher's?

Love,

Caz
        X
        Last edited by caz; 04-30-2009, 05:22 PM.
        "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

I agree Caz, and it might imply that the trail to Goulston Street was a false one

If PC Long missed it first time round, then that is fair enough - The Ripper led the dogs a short distance away to the model dwellings

If PC Long did not miss it, then the "missing" 40 minutes or so (sorry I forgot how long it was) may be him laying a false trail for some distance and finally ending up at the model dwellings - a doubling-back circular trail maybe

Comment

Apropos of not much at all, I have to admit that it was only a few weeks ago that, in a moment of epiphany, I noticed that "Burgho" was an anagram of "Brough"

If that's been remarked upon before, forgive me. If not, I thought you might find that a wee bit interesting.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

[QUOTE=Nothing to see;81390]Whose scent would the dogs have followed? Probably was a good idea when first thought of but it was left too late to be practical. [/QUOTE

NothingToSee has a good point. What scent were the dog's supposed to follow- even if they had gotten them out fairly early? The victim's body is in situ, so unless the killer is utterly drenched in her blood and/or has taken her clothes, how can they follow him? He doesn't appear to have left anything behind, and I doubt poor Mary's stolen heart had much scent to it. "Working dogs" are amazing, but what with all the inhabitants, markets, slaughter-houses, trash, etc., I imagine the poor hounds might have had nervous breakdowns trying to following Jack through Whitechapel. (And any fiasco so completely in the public eye as that might have led Warren to commit hari-kari!)

- And by the way, does the blood of different individuals really smell differently?? This just occurred to me... Anybody know? Would the victim's blood alone have a distinct smell to a trained bloodhound, or would another "personal scent" be required in conjunction with it?

Comment

Hi Archaic,

The word bloodhound is a bit of a misnomer. Dogs pick up on a whole host of bodily odours when following a scent - they don't "lock onto" a trail of blood as such.

If the dogs would have been of any use at all at Miller's Court (which I very much doubt), then they'd have been quite happy to pick up and follow the scent of the killer alone, rather than having to rely on any traces of Kelly's blood about his person.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Sam,

Yep. Seems to me I said the same thing a few posts back (#10). This thread is rather short so, even though now well "off-scent," people ought read all the previous posts. But then we had someone admit to knowing absolutely nothing about the subject of bloodhounds and yet could not rersist giving his opinion. Part of what makes the boards fun.

Don.
                  "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

Hi, Sam. Thats cool that your Dad was a professional dog handler! (I am in the process of training my Germ. Shep. to be a visiting Therapy dog.) Perhaps I didnt phrase my previous post properly: I understand that bloodhounds follow personal bodily scents, not just blood- my question stems from the fact that the police had no personal article belonging to and therefore smelling like the killer by which to follow him. So unless Jack came into so much physical contact with Mary Kelly while murdering her that he physically picked up her personal scent, what scent could the dogs possibly follow? And while I know that human bodies have very particular individual scents which dogs can track, do the individual bodily organs & blood of a victim have a discreet enough smell that a dog could follow them when surrounded by so many other scents, including fresh slaughterhouse blood? (For instance, if Jacks shirt were splashed with some of Marys blood & was carrying her heart, would those substances smell so uniquely like her that Jack could be tracked?) - Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Supe View Post
                      But then we had someone admit to knowing absolutely nothing about the subject of bloodhounds and yet could not rersist giving his opinion. Part of what makes the boards fun.
                      Don.
                      Unfair enough.
                      Sometimes, people can hazard an opinion... And doing so, they hope to be corrected.
                      Fair enough, especially since they are fair enough to precise that they're no expert in the relevant field.

But at times, their hazarded oipinions turn out to be shared by (Welsh) people who know more.

Amitiés Don,
                      David

Comment

Yep. Seems to me I said the same thing a few posts back (#10).
                        Sorry, Don - I missed that one. Still, it's as nice to be pro-actively confirmed as it is to be retrospectively enlightened... whatever the heck I mean by that

Eccles: I got a scented letter once!
                        Bluebottle: Cor! Did you, really, Enkles?
                        Eccles: Yeah! It was sented by post...

(S. Milligan - The Goon Show)
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Sam,

My post was not directed to you.

Anyway, just to show you there is nothing new (or even moderately old) there was the old vaudeville joke, may have been Gallagher & Shean.
                          Mr. G: I got a scented letter from a woman today.
                          Mr. S: Woo hoo, really?
                          Mr. G: Yes--postage due 15 cents.

Probably goes back to Aristophanes.

Don.
                          "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

But then we had someone admit to knowing absolutely nothing about the subject of bloodhounds and yet could not rersist giving his opinion. Part of what makes the boards fun.

Don.
                            No need to know a lot about dogs to point out that Mary's corpse was discovered hours after the murder, at a time where streets were already crowded.
                            This wouldn't have helped the bloodhounds, and that's just what my post was saying.

Amitiés,
                            David

Comment

Dave,

If you don't see the humor in that post then I apologize. No offense was intended.

Don.

Comment

I was extremely offended, Don,

and now I know I have a problem with transatlantic sense of humour.
                                I'm a simpleton sometimes. That's well known, but accept my apologies anyway.

Amitiés,
                                Don Gorgon

Comment

Working...
                                X