Abberline in the movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abberline in the movies

I've seen Abberline portrayed in film by Michael Caine (who was probably the most perfect choice in the world at that time, though they should have had him grow the facial hair) and Johnny Depp (which was ridiculous). Some observations:

I've only recently read up on Abberline's real life and learned of his marriages. Neither movie portrayed him as a married man, but "From Hell" correctly stated that he had had a wife who had died, and the Michael Caine miniseries portrayed a fictional love interest for him named Emma, the same first name as his real life second wife.

But there are two fictional elements common to both movies- one, the idea that Abberline was an alcoholic or addict of some kind, and two, the pairing of him with Detective George Godley as direct partners who were constantly in each others' presence. Both movies employ the Dr. Gull as Ripper theme, but other than that connection does anyone know where those two fictional elements come from and why both of these otherwise unrelated movies used them?

The story elements you mention are taken from "From Hell", the graphic novel by Alan Moore. The "Emma" in the graphic novel was really Mary Kelly (though it also had him married).

Comment

Now I'm confused- The Michael Caine miniseries was in 1988 for the centennial of the crimes, but as far as I know the graphic novel "From Hell" (which I admit I've not yet read) didn't come out until 1992.

Comment

Hi,

The Graphic Novel is based on Stephen "Jack the Ripper The Final Solution" I believe the book was published in 1976.

Your friend, Brad

Comment

The graphic novel is excellent, but massive. There are some really atmospheric drawing's which are filled with detail.

In the graphic novel you had the first chapter devoted to a meeting with Lee's and Abberline, but for the movie "From Hell" the Hughes brother's cut and paste these two together to give Abberline some sort of pschic ability.
          Regards Mike

Comment

Sorry, reading back my last post was quite confusing (I must have accidently deleted part of it when I was typing).

Comment

Originally posted by bigjon View Post
              Sorry, reading back my last post was quite confusing (I must have accidently deleted part of it when I was typing).
              Quite all right, it's a bit clearer now.

I'll have to shop around for a copy of "From Hell" before too long. I have read Moore's "V for Vendetta" after seeing that movie and absolutely loved both versions, though that book is also pretty massive.

Comment

I believe Abberline will be a character in the new version of "The Wolf Man" played by Hugo Weaving of LotR, and Matrix fame. I believe they're spelling Abberline's name with one "B."

As for Alan Moore, I don't belive he's capable of writing any storyline that isn't massive when collected into a single book. One of the things I love about him!
                "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by BillyE View Post
                  I believe Abberline will be a character in the new version of "The Wolf Man" played by Hugo Weaving of LotR, and Matrix fame. I believe they're spelling Abberline's name with one "B."

As for Alan Moore, I don't belive he's capable of writing any storyline that isn't massive when collected into a single book. One of the things I love about him!
                  Interesting, as Hugo Weaving also played "V."

Comment

It is true,
                    Here is the imdb entry, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0780653/

The movie is set in Wales and London and it is alleged on the imdb forums that the Wolfman will be.........the whitechapel murderer!!!

Regards Mike

Comment

More plausible than Dr. Gull, at least when you factor in the claim that the motive was to summon Jah-bel-on...and it worked!

Comment

I was less than convinced by Londoner Michael Caine playing a Dorset man, Abberline.
                        Especially when the heavily mascarared M.C. uttered the immortal line...
                        "Summ-boddee must know summ-ffingg..." JOHN RUFFELS.

Comment

You have to admit, JohnR, Michael Caine's role was better than the Depp role. Both actors did wonders with the characters given to them, but as far as roles go Caine had the better one.
                          "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." Winston Churchill

Comment

Although Depp's adaption is pathetic and as far from reality as a black tulip, I think Michael Caine's version of Abberline was disastrous - aggressive and a bully. I hated it. But worst of all, Caine was guilty of over-acting to the extreme.
                            A highly overrated performance and a pure example of bad acting.

All the best
                            Last edited by Glenn Lauritz Andersson; 05-21-2008, 11:31 PM.
                            The Swedes are the Men that Will not Be Blamed for Nothing

Comment

Hi Glenn,
                              Originally posted by Glenn Lauritz Andersson View Post
                              I think Michael Caine's version of Abberline was disastrous - aggressive and a bully.
                              It's worth noting that this TV film was made in an era of British television that had spawned Special Branch, The Sweeney, The Professionals (featuring Lewis "Sgt Godley" Collins), Target, and The Equalizer. It's perhaps no coincidence that the director and co-writer of the Caine film (David Wickes) had worked on all but one of these in the past. He worked on several episodes of The Sweeney, which was maybe the darkest and grittiest of the lot.

These series had between them established the uncompromising, often violent enforcer as a firm favourite on British TV in the 1970s and 1980s, and contrasted starkly with their "lighter" American equivalents (Columbo, McCloud, Hawaii 5-0, etc), which were equally popular with British TV audiences at the time.

PS: I think Caine's performance is quite splendid overall, but that's just my view
                              Last edited by Sam Flynn; 05-22-2008, 12:08 AM.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

Working...
                              X