Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• curious4
    replied
    Well yes. And jellied eels were served in a cup with a spoon, both of which were handed back. But there is a long-standing tradition of newspaper with fish and chips.

Best wishes
    C4

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by curious4 View Post
    Newspaper? What did they use for takeaways? I know Dickens bought ham wrapped in cabbage leaves but by 1888 perhaps they had advanced to old newspapers - or something else?

Best wishes
    C4
    I know from some of my wifey's text books that at least some places you took your own billy and they'd just put it in there.

It had an added benefit that you could then hang it over the coals if needed to keep it warm.

Leave a comment:

• curious4
    replied
    Originally posted by GUT View Post
    It would need to be wrapped in something else first though.
    Newspaper? What did they use for takeaways? I know Dickens bought ham wrapped in cabbage leaves but by 1888 perhaps they had advanced to old newspapers - or something else?

Best wishes
    C4

Leave a comment:

• Harry D
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosella View Post
    No, this was a quite obscure killer, who also killed his small son who, as he lay dying, asked his 'Daddy' for help. I've never forgotten that bit but have completely forgotten the creep's name.
    Joseph Kallinger. I was reading about him today.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by curious4 View Post
    Could Astrachan man's parcel have contained a meal? Oiled cloth would have been a good choice for carrying food.

Best wishes
    C4
    It would need to be wrapped in something else first though.

Leave a comment:

• curious4
    replied
    American cloth

Could Astrachan man's parcel have contained a meal? Oiled cloth would have been a good choice for carrying food.

Best wishes
    C4
    Last edited by curious4; 09-13-2015, 01:08 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
    Hi GUT.

That sounds like the Tabram case.
    "Elizabeth Mahony, of 47 George yard buildings, Whitechapel, the wife of a carman, stated that on the night of Bank Holiday she was out with some friends. She returned shortly before two in the morning with her husband, and afterwards left the house to try and get some supper."

Then there was the Stride case.
    "On Sunday morning last about 12.45 I went from my own house to get some supper from a chandler's shop at the corner of Berner street."

And the McKenzie case.
    "Isaac Lewis Jacobs, of Castle-place, a bootmaker, said about 20 minutes past 12 he was going to buy some supper."

McCarthy's was open till about 3:00 am, but you would think McCarthy would have mentioned seeing Kelly if she had bought her supper there that night.

OK, found the reference to Coles.
    "About 1:30 on the morning of the 13th she came into the shop and asked for 1½d. worth of mutton and bread. She was served, and sat in the shop and ate it."
    This place was in Wentworth Street.

I wonder if Packers Stem thinks mutton and bread is a suitable breakfast
    G'day Jon

But would Kelly have risked McCarthy saying "Oh thanks for the 6p I'll put that towards your rent arrears"?

I think not.

Leave a comment:

• jerryd
    replied
    And the McKenzie case.
    "Isaac Lewis Jacobs, of Castle-place, a bootmaker, said about 20 minutes past 12 he was going to buy some supper."

McCarthy's was open till about 3:00 am, but you would think McCarthy would have mentioned seeing Kelly if she had bought her supper there that night
    Hi Wickerman,

And we know where Jacobs was going to buy his supper. I know you have seen this but I will post it anyways.'

Lloyds Weekly Newspaper July 21, 1889

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosella View Post
    Elizabeth Mahoney, of 47 George Yard Buildings, is probably who you were thinking about, Gut. After being out all day on August Bank Holiday Monday she and her husband Joseph arrived home at about 1:40 am on the Tuesday. She immediately went out again to the local chandlers to get them some supper. She went down completely dark stairs at George Yard to get there. (Why they couldn't have got something from a barrow on the way home, heaven knows!)

Probably people like Frances Coles and Mary, who weren't in regular employment would go out (if they had money, obviously) and buy whatever they fancied at the time in the way of food and drink. They most likely slept at odd hours of the day and night as well.
    Yep that's the one I was thinking of.

I can imagine if any of these gals going short for a few days then getting a few p and grabbing a feed.

Leave a comment:

• Rosella
    replied
    Elizabeth Mahoney, of 47 George Yard Buildings, is probably who you were thinking about, Gut. After being out all day on August Bank Holiday Monday she and her husband Joseph arrived home at about 1:40 am on the Tuesday. She immediately went out again to the local chandlers to get them some supper. She went down completely dark stairs at George Yard to get there. (Why they couldn't have got something from a barrow on the way home, heaven knows!)

Probably people like Frances Coles and Mary, who weren't in regular employment would go out (if they had money, obviously) and buy whatever they fancied at the time in the way of food and drink. They most likely slept at odd hours of the day and night as well.
    Last edited by Rosella; 09-12-2015, 09:34 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Pcdunn
    replied
    In historical times, as I have read, people tended to sleep in shorter cycles than we are used to today. They would go to sleep soon after sunset, in the era before electricity, sleep for four or five hours, then alternate that with a period of wakefulness around midnight to two or three, then go to sleep again until dawn.

It wasn't uncommon for people to pass the wakeful hours by reading, some crafting, some visiting friends for conversation, and so forth. I think it makes sense for people in cities, who may have worked a long shift, to have their supper at midnight or later. And I know I've seen a witness account saying she was coming back from visiting a friend at what we'd consider a very late hour (but given this information, may make more sense.)

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    It was Tabram I was thinking of.

Leave a comment:

• Wickerman
    replied
    Hi GUT.

That sounds like the Tabram case.
    "Elizabeth Mahony, of 47 George yard buildings, Whitechapel, the wife of a carman, stated that on the night of Bank Holiday she was out with some friends. She returned shortly before two in the morning with her husband, and afterwards left the house to try and get some supper."

Then there was the Stride case.
    "On Sunday morning last about 12.45 I went from my own house to get some supper from a chandler's shop at the corner of Berner street."

And the McKenzie case.

McCarthy's was open till about 3:00 am, but you would think McCarthy would have mentioned seeing Kelly if she had bought her supper there that night.

OK, found the reference to Coles.
    "About 1:30 on the morning of the 13th she came into the shop and asked for 1½d. worth of mutton and bread. She was served, and sat in the shop and ate it."
    This place was in Wentworth Street.

I wonder if Packers Stem thinks mutton and bread is a suitable breakfast
    Last edited by Wickerman; 09-12-2015, 06:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GUT
    replied
    Good job, nice example.
    Yes, there are various accounts of the night life on Whitechapel High Street, it wasn't the deserted place we are led to believe.

Going on memory here but didn't Coles visit a late night cafe for some boiled beef, or something like that?
    If Kelly was really broke when she met Hutchinson, I suspect the fee from her liaison with Astrachan was what she used to get her fish & potato supper.

I know, some don't believe Hutchinson, some don't believe Astrachan existed, some don't believe Kennedy that Kelly went out again.
    All bias aside if we just accept statements as they are given half the problems disappear.

And another witness reports wandering out at 2:00 am (if memory serves me) to get hubby some supper.

Leave a comment:

• curious4
    replied
    Good job, nice example.
    Yes, there are various accounts of the night life on Whitechapel High Street, it wasn't the deserted place we are led to believe.

Going on memory here but didn't Coles visit a late night cafe for some boiled beef, or something like that?
    If Kelly was really broke when she met Hutchinson, I suspect the fee from her liaison with Astrachan was what she used to get her fish & potato supper.

I know, some don't believe Hutchinson, some don't believe Astrachan existed, some don't believe Kennedy that Kelly went out again.
    All bias aside if we just accept statements as they are given half the problems disappear.
    Hello Wickerman

I do believe Hutchinson. Always have. And even more so since a witness in the Anna Lindh (Swedish Foreign minister) case was dismissed as being too detailed but proved to be correct. Some people just are good witnesses. I wouldn't be - have been known to walk past my middle son on the street. And attach myself to the wrong pair of legs in the supermarket, my children all being tall and myself quite small :-).

Not sure about Coles but I think you are right. Will have to look it up.

Best wishes
    C4
    Last edited by curious4; 09-12-2015, 11:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X