A Psychological Profile of the Ripper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Psychological Profile of the Ripper

Hi, everyone! I'm Kristen and I'm new here, but I have been an amateur Ripperologist for decades. As I was growing up, I found myself in an unusual position that led to hands-on experience in the fields of criminal investigation, human anatomy, and the treatment of mental illnesses. My father was a sergeant in the local police force and while he couldn’t speak to the specific details of any of the cases that came across his desk, he often explained to me how criminal investigations as a whole and all of the components thereof typically played out on a day-to-day basis. We would watch television shows like Forensic Files together, but as television is often sensationalized and is therefore never a valid source for a complete education, my father would mostly talk over the show, answer my questions, and share his personal experiences as a criminal investigator and his vast knowledge of the process that was being shown on the screen. I thereby became fascinated with criminology from a very young age and continued to pursue it as a personal interest throughout my adolescence and adulthood.

On the other side of this coin is my mother, who has been a registered nurse assisting orthopedic surgeons in the operating room for almost fifty years. My mother is the person that sterilizes and preps the instruments, serves as one of the scrub nurses that aids the doctor in the actual surgical procedure, and sometimes closes the incisions. Growing up around her produced many unique educational experiences. I began reading when I was three years old and instead of having storybooks growing up, I had books that detailed anatomy such as The Atlas of The Human Body by Professor Peter Abrahams. I read more books on the various sciences than I ever read with fairy tales and by the time I was in grade school, the school bus was letting me off at the local hospital rather than at a babysitter or family member’s home. I spent much of my time learning from the scrub techs and doctors at the front desk of the operating room while waiting for my mom to finish her cases so we could head home.

In addition to these events, I was diagnosed with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder, Attention Deficit Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, and Major Depressive Disorder when I was 6 years old. Because my mother was a nurse, she had access to extensive medical research on these disorders as well as access to the very best doctors who treated them. She was therefore able to explain to me exactly what was going on and over the last 28 years of personally living with these disorders, I have learned much about the chemical make-up of the mentally ill brain and how its various disorders are treated.

Now, I do not in any way claim to be a professional investigator with a degree in criminology. I do, however, believe that my unique personal experiences throughout my lifetime so far— along with extensive research, of course— might lend itself to a better understanding of the Ripper case I have always been so fascinated by. My favorite suspect is a relatively new one— H.H. Holmes, but I have also put together a bit of a profile on Ripper that I would enjoy hearing everyone's thoughts on. I only ask that everyone please be respectful. If you think psychology is a pseudoscience, this probably isn't the best topic for you because my struggles with mental health issues have taught me that it is certainly not and it is hurtful when people discredit it. Thank you for your kind consideration and here is the profile.
    • Psychopathy (manipulative and volatile; lacking a conscience or empathy towards others)
    • Letters thought to be authentic reveal narcissistic tendencies, but I am not comfortable labeling Ripper as an officially diagnosed narcissist absent evidence of his psychological state at the time of the murders
    • Hematomania (obsession with blood)
    • Always sliced the left carotid (right handed killer), but subdued the victim through strangulation into a position where the slice could be made from behind with limited blood spurting
    • Mutilations usually involved the severing of both femoral arteries, often in the process of removing organs, which produced a massive flow of blood, yet were always carried out postmortem to avoid spurting with the pulse, indicating careful calculation
    • “Dear Boss” letter refers to “proper red stuff” and how he saved some from a victim to write with, further leading towards an indication of hematomania
    • Superficial charm led victims to let down their guard; may have enticed them with grapes, which were far too expensive for any Whitechapel resident to afford in the time period
    • Intelligent and careful; too calculated and arrogant to be a simple case of a man experiencing schizophrenic episodes
    • Targeted prostitutes not for what they were, but for their availability and ease
    • No sexual motive; women were butchered, but never sexually assaulted
    • No sadism; mutilations occurred after quick deaths; doesn’t get off on pain and terror, but on blood and damage
    What are everyone's thoughts?
    Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2022, 12:21 AM.

Hi StarlitShoal,

First, welcome to the boards, and a nice first post. Sounds like you've had your challenges to face, but also that you had plenty of good support and are doing well. That's great.

Obviously, as the case has never been solved, there is no way for us to judge the accuracy of your profile. Behavioral profiling, as performed by the FBI, is unfortunately lacking in proper large scale studies (I'm a researcher in psychology, and though my work is not in this particular area I'm not unfamiliar with it). It's a very complex problem, trying to work backwards from the actions performed at the crime scene to traits and characteristics of the offender. Some argue that what can be gleened ends up being so general it does not lead to anything useful other than by chance (which is, of course, generally when we in the public hear about it in real life, and almost always how we are exposed to it in entertainment).

That being said, I think it can be a good exercise as it makes one focus on the case evidence.

One thing I would suggest is that you look more into the Dear Boss letter, and I think what you will quickly find is that this letter is now, more often than not, considered unlikely to be from the Ripper despite that being the source of the name. I think the largest consensus is that it was probably written by a journalist by the name of Tom Bullen, although like so many things associated with this case, that is by no means universally accepted. But it does mean you may want to consider how important that letter (or any of the letters actually as none of them are generally thought to be genuine, though of course there are those who support various individual ones; even the From Hell letter is widely questioned) is to your thinking. If it ends up that your views do not change, or change very little, if the letter is not added to the material you draw your inferences from, then you might want to consider just not including it so as to err on the side of caution.

One point you might want to consider is with respect to sadism. I'm not sure that can actually be excluded. While it is true that JtR appears to have quickly subdued his victims, that is a matter of pragmatics due to his chosen locations being outside and in public. He can't torture and inflict pain, even if he wanted to. And if he does not have a location where he could do this, then he also doesn't have the opportunity or facilities to take a victim to. However, and this is something we cannot know, as it appears he may have resorted to manual strangulation (explaining the lack of noise), then that activity affords him the opportunity to observe the fear and terror in his victim's faces as he does so. If that brought to him some sort of pleasure and was part of what he gets out of these murders, then that would be consistent with sadism. But if it was only for the practical purpose of preventing noise, and he did not get any particular pleasure from that step of his ritual, then that would be consistent with what you suggest (not a sadist).

Another is the idea there wasn't a sexual motive. While he doesn't sexually assault the victims, there are a number of mutilation killers who associated the violence of the mutilations a sexual turn on. The utter destruction of the victim gave them such a sense of power, but they often saved the sexual pleasuring of themselves until later. Moreover, the taking of body parts is suggestive of necrophilia, which would be a sexual component. Similar to sadism, I don't think, therefore, that it can be ruled out.

I think the idea that he targeted prostitutes simply because they were easily available, rather than targeting prostitutes because they were prostitutes, is probably right. If JtR had come across a woman that he could somehow convince to come talk to him in a quiet area then he would have done exactly the same whether or not she was a prostitute. Many of the victims, while they engaged in prostitution, did so out of a need to survive, and tried to obtain their money through cleaning, charring, hop picking, and other such jobs, but these provided so little income they had little choice. Of all the victims, only Mary Kelly appears to have been a full time prostitute, while the others appear to engage in prostitution to various degrees of regularity.

I myself am a bit undecided as to whether JtR was more likely to be a psychopathic or psychotic killer. Schizophrenia does not necessarily mean the offender will be obviously mad. With many of the victims intoxicated, and desperate, at the time, as long as he wasn't babbling and drooling, the exchanges between them appear to have likely been quite short, so they may not have picked up on his disturbed thinking. I've seen some studies that suggest mutilation murders, like these, are more common with psychotic offenders, but the samples are often small and the percentage of non-psychotic killers high enough that again, this is a hard call to make. The timing of the crimes (weekends and holidays) tend to suggest the offender worked though, and if that was the case, then it seems less likely that he was psychotic unless he was "highly functional" as they say.

Anyway, I enjoyed your post. I hope my suggestions above are not seen as an attack on yours as that is not my intention. Rather, just sharing some of my own views which you may, or may not, find useful. Again, welcome to the boards and I hope you enjoy your time here.

- Jeff

Comment

I think I can agree with you on the three issues in question. I haven't done a whole lot of research into the letters, but in the past, I have always regarded the "Dear Boss" and "From Hell" letters to be the most interesting. They seem to suggest two entirely different psychological states. "Dear Boss" reveals an intelligent, cold, and calculated killer whereas "From Hell" is heavily misspelled and could indicate some form of psychosis. As for the sadism and sexual gratification components, I agree that it could go either way, given that we don't have any conclusive evidence as to who Ripper really was or what his actual psychological state was at the time of his crimes. Even if he had been caught, that information would still be limited due to the time period and the practice of frontal lobotomies on the mentally ill in those days. As for schizophrenia itself, I can speak from personal experience and say that whenever I do not have my medications, there is absolutely zero chance of me being high-functioning. Schizophrenia is a much worse illness than what I have and there were no psychiatric medicines in 1888. If someone's family member observed them hearing and seeing things that weren't there, I doubt they'd have been free to walk the streets for very long.

Comment

Welcome aboard.

First be very careful about basing any conclusions on
        The letters, there were hundreds received
        witnesses re ID again note worthy for how wrong descriptions are, in many parts of the world the judge is required to give the jury a direction on how unreliable they are I have taken part in many, shall I call them, tests where many people have the same person paraded before them and then asked to describe the person, or pick them from a line up a day or two later, and boy are such things interesting

As for Psychological Profiling in my opinion it leaves much to be desired and to the best of my knowledge has yet to be subject to any real scientific investigation.

But well done for the work you have put in.
        G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post

As for Psychological Profiling in my opinion it leaves much to be desired and to the best of my knowledge has yet to be subject to any real scientific investigation. But well done for the work you have put in.
          Thank you! I think the science of criminal profiling has much improved since 1960, at least in the US, thanks in part to Ted Bundy, BTK, the Green River Killer, the Night Stalker, the Iceman, Son of Sam, and John Wayne Gacy. The hunt for the serial killers of the 60s and 70s also saw the American police collaborating across jurisdictions and county and state lines for the first time. Today in the US, it is well known that there is a criminal profiler present at every FBI branch across the country, but you are correct that it is used as more of a guideline to assist in the collection of evidence and the deduction of where clues might be found than it is considered to be 100% accurate for every individual perp.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-12-2022, 01:55 AM.

Comment

Hi Kristen,

Welcome to the boards.

I tend to agree with Jeff and GUT regarding the letters, with the exception of the "From Hell" letter, which I think is probably geniune. I suspect the mis-spelling and grammar in that letter was a deliberate disguise.

I agree with the slice of the carotid after strangulation but I think the body was on the ground when this was done. My daughter is a registered nurse, and former theatre nurse, and I confer with her for opinions on the medical matters. Among her children, my grandchildren, there is high functioning autism, ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder and Anxiety Disorder.

To your "Intelligent and careful" I would add opportunistic and having an ability to blend in and not be noticed.

I try to avoid having favourite suspects as it can lead to a level of confirmation bias. That said, there are suspects that are too unlikely to be subject to consideration.

Great early post. Look forward to more of them from you as time goes by.

Cheers, George
            Last edited by GBinOz; 04-12-2022, 02:11 AM.
            They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
            Out of a misty dream
            Our path emerges for a while, then closes
            Within a dream.
            Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi Kristen,

Welcome to the boards.

I tend to agree with Jeff and GUT regarding the letters, with the exception of the "From Hell" letter, which I think is probably geniune. I suspect the mis-spelling and grammar in that letter was a deliberate disguise.

I agree with the slice of the carotid after strangulation but I think the body was on the ground when this was done. My daughter is a registered nurse, and former theatre nurse, and I confer with her for opinions on the medical matters. Among her children, my grandchildren, there is high functioning autism, ADHD, Oppositional Defiant Disorder and Anxiety Disorder.

To your "Intelligent and careful" I would add opportunistic and having an ability to blend in and not be noticed.

I try to avoid having favourite suspects as it can lead to a level of confirmation bias. That said, there are suspects that are too unlikely to be subject to consideration.

Cheers, George
              Thank you! Those are all very good points. What are your thoughts on the research presented in "American Ripper?" I found it to be very convincing, but I'm not well-read on the other suspects, so I'll be doing some more investigation. The most interesting things to me were the fact that Holmes ran so many financial scams that he had some kind of business document for almost every transaction he ever made. There were so many filings and lawsuits that they were actually able to pinpoint where he was in his life at what time solely by the dates and locations of the documents. Then, suddenly, he vanishes from the radar in the US in the late summer of 1888. Acting on a hunch, they check passenger manifests to the UK and find one of his aliases on one from the US to the UK and one that was the associated return trip dated sometime after Mary Kelly's murder. They showed a lot more evidence as well, but another compelling one for me was when they hypothetically combined the cases and were able to trace a seamless pattern of escalation by beginning with Ripper's first murder and ending with Holmes' execution. It was as if he had been practicing and learning in London and not worrying about where he left the bodies because he knew he'd be leaving. By the time he built his Murder Castle in Chicago, he had murder and body disposal down to an industrial science.

Comment

Hi Kristen,

Welcome to the boards.

Cheers, George
                I agree that if any letter is genuine it would be “From Hell” but even it I only put it about 55:45. Pity we didn’t have DNA to see if the Kidne was genuine or another distraction.
                G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Sorry for getting off track with my comments on ID evidence.
                  G U T

Comment

Originally posted by StarlitShoal View Post

Thank you! Those are all very good points. What are your thoughts on the research presented in "American Ripper?" I found it to be very convincing, but I'm not well-read on the other suspects, so I'll be doing some more investigation. The most interesting things to me were the fact that Holmes ran so many financial scams that he had some kind of business document for almost every transaction he ever made. There were so many filings and lawsuits that they were actually able to pinpoint where he was in his life at what time solely by the dates and locations of the documents. Then, suddenly, he vanishes from the radar in the US in the late summer of 1888. Acting on a hunch, they check passenger manifests to the UK and find one of his aliases on one from the US to the UK and one that was the associated return trip dated sometime after Mary Kelly's murder. They showed a lot more evidence as well, but another compelling one for me was when they hypothetically combined the cases and were able to trace a seamless pattern of escalation by beginning with Ripper's first murder and ending with Holmes' execution. It was as if he had been practicing and learning in London and not worrying about where he left the bodies because he knew he'd be leaving. By the time he built his Murder Castle in Chicago, he had murder and body disposal down to an industrial science.
                    Hi Kirsten,

I have been interested in JtR for nearly 50 years and in that time favourites have come and gone. When I depart this life and approach St Peter at the pearly gates my first question will be "who was JtR?". I anticipate that when he reveals the answer to my question my response will be "Who?".

There are many on this forum who have single suspect barrows to push. Others are more clinical in their analysis of the actual evidence. You will sort out who is who. Since no one knows the answer there is a great deal of speculation involved, and it can not be otherwise. Enjoy.

Cheers, George
                    They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
                    Out of a misty dream
                    Our path emerges for a while, then closes
                    Within a dream.
                    Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

When I depart this life and approach St Peter at the pearly gates my first question will be "who was JtR?". I anticipate that when he reveals the answer to my question my response will be "Who?"
                      I thought I was the only one who was planning to ask God that. Forget the meaning of life and all that jazz. Who was Ripper and why are mosquitoes and spiders with hair necessary?

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post

I agree that if any letter is genuine it would be “From Hell” but even it I only put it about 55:45. Pity we didn’t have DNA to see if the Kidne was genuine or another distraction.
                        I think you'll find somewhere written , the kidney sent to lusk was indeed identified as a human kidney , and it matched closely in condition to eddowes other kidney ..now having said that it might not have been hers but there nothing that says it couldn't have been hers also.
                        'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Hi Kirsten,

I have been interested in JtR for nearly 50 years and in that time favourites have come and gone. When I depart this life and approach St Peter at the pearly gates my first question will be "who was JtR?". I anticipate that when he reveals the answer to my question my response will be "Who?".

There are many on this forum who have single suspect barrows to push. Others are more clinical in their analysis of the actual evidence. You will sort out who is who. Since no one knows the answer there is a great deal of speculation involved, and it can not be otherwise. Enjoy.

Cheers, George
                          You rang!

Click image for larger version

Name:	rs_w-1300_h-800.jpeg
Views:	781
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	784499
                          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by StarlitShoal View Post

I thought I was the only one who was planning to ask God that. Forget the meaning of life and all that jazz. Who was Ripper and why are mosquitoes and spiders with hair necessary?
                            Now there's 3 of us
                            'It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is. It doesn't matter how smart you are . If it doesn't agree with experiment, its wrong'' . Richard Feynman

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post

You rang!

Click image for larger version  Name:	rs_w-1300_h-800.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	26.7 KB ID:	784499
                              Good ole Maynard we had a Radio bloke here who went by Maynard F# Crebbs
                              Last edited by GUT; 04-12-2022, 06:17 AM.
                              G U T

Comment

Working...
                              X