X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wickerman View Post

Hi Frank.

I hope this is large enough to read.

No. 103 is on the north side, Grove St. is directly below the 'D' in R O A D
    So yes, almost opposite.

​​
    Hi Jon,

Thanks for that information. I would imagine that, as clock makers, the Birkle Bros would endevour to ensure that a display clock on their premises would show the correct GMT time. This would seem to be the obvious clock to be used by the police for their times. When the alarm was raised with Lamb, 426H may have waited a short period for the clock to click over to one o'clock before he followed Lamb, or he may have thought "close enough, who'll know the difference". Of course he may have only just gone off duty and not yet walked away far enough to not hear the alarm being raised (would he have ignored the alarm because he was off duty?), but whichever, I think we can safely say it was very close to one o'clock sharp GMT.

Cheers, George
    Last edited by GBinOz; 09-08-2023, 12:46 AM.
    They are not long, the days of wine and roses:
    Out of a misty dream
    Our path emerges for a while, then closes
    Within a dream.
    Ernest Dowson - Vitae Summa Brevis​

​Disagreeing doesn't have to be disagreeable - Jeff Hamm

Comment

• Originally posted by jerryd View Post
      Morris Eagle refers to one man in the yard as Issac (singular) and then refers to a Jacobs in the next sentence.

Is there a chance it was Isaac Jacobs? The young man that was heading to McCarthy's shop on the night of the McKenzie murder? A pretty long shot, but ya never know.
      This is a quote that seems to answer your question, Diemshutz & Kozebrodski were longtime friends...

"Diemshitz entered the club by the side door higher up the court, and informed those in the concert room upstairs that something had happened in the yard. A member of the club named Kozebrodski, but familiarly known as Isaacs, returned with Diemshitz into the court, and the former struck a match while the latter lifted the body up. It was at once apparent that the woman was dead.
      Morning Advertiser, 1 Oct.

Lewis Diemschitz, 27, and Isaac Kozebrodski, 19, surrendered to their bail to answer an indictment for making a riot and rout, and for assaulting various persons.
      Times, 26 Apr. 1889.
      Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Hi Frank.

I hope this is large enough to read.

No. 103 is on the north side, Grove St. is directly below the 'D' in R O A D
        So yes, almost opposite.

​​
        Thanks for the map, Jon! And no worries, it's even large enough to read on my telephone.

Cheers,
        Frank
        "You can rob me, you can starve me and you can beat me and you can kill me. Just don't bore me."
        Clint Eastwood as Gunny in "Heartbreak Ridge"

Comment

This is a quote that seems to answer your question, Diemshutz & Kozebrodski were longtime friends...

"Diemshitz entered the club by the side door higher up the court, and informed those in the concert room upstairs that something had happened in the yard. A member of the club named Kozebrodski, but familiarly known as Isaacs, returned with Diemshitz into the court, and the former struck a match while the latter lifted the body up. It was at once apparent that the woman was dead.
          Morning Advertiser, 1 Oct.

Lewis Diemschitz, 27, and Isaac Kozebrodski, 19, surrendered to their bail to answer an indictment for making a riot and rout, and for assaulting various persons.
          Times, 26 Apr. 1889.
          I think its been determined that Issac Kozebrodski was an "apprentice" there, since there is a fairly large gap between Diemshitz and Issac I dont imagine they were longtime friends per se. I believe Eagles comments about who informed him, who went down the stairs with him, and who he saw going for help are fairly illuminating. He says he went downstairs with Issac, and he saw 2 men going out towards Fairclough for help, one of them was "Jacobs".
          Michael Richards

Comment

• Originally posted by GBinOz View Post

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that information. I would imagine that, as clock makers, the Birkle Bros would endevour to ensure that a display clock on their premises would show the correct GMT time. This would seem to be the obvious clock to be used by the police for their times. When the alarm was raised with Lamb, 426H may have waited a short period for the clock to click over to one o'clock before he followed Lamb, or he may have thought "close enough, who'll know the difference". Of course he may have only just gone off duty and not yet walked away far enough to not hear the alarm being raised (would he have ignored the alarm because he was off duty?), but whichever, I think we can safely say it was very close to one o'clock sharp GMT.

Cheers, George
            Yes George, all the points you make, make sense.
            Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Working...
            X