Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nope.

Where did they source the 10" bricks?

That guy's temple's would be no more than 8 inches apart. Compare.

Incidentally my JtR was a fan of Spinoza's and renowned for using his sense of touch with patients.
    My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

I recall many years ago someone on Casebook went down to the chip shop and re-created the writing without any space problems, the pictures may still be here somewhere.

I tend to go with the transcript being an accurate record as it was specifically endorsed (written?) by Warren, who was
      a. a pedant.
      b. an engineer used to drawing up scaled millimetre accurate plans, as in his Gibraltar work.
      c. an archeologist who knew the importance of re-creating accurately, as per his Masonic temple re-creations in Jerusalem.
      dustymiller
      aka drstrange

Comment

Okay Dave, you're right. It looks like a typical English bond, with stretchers and then headers, so it looks different and was giving me an optical illusion. So 8 inches plus 4 plus a half an inch of mortar. 3 lines are impossible and the officer that suggested 3 lines thought the breaks were the indented endings of actual lines, so 3 lines but 2 indents. But why a break after "the men that" and not after "The Juwes are not"?

Comment

Originally posted by drstrange169 View Post
          I recall many years ago someone on Casebook went down to the chip shop and re-created the writing without any space problems, the pictures may still be here somewhere.
          If you are speaking of Howard Brown, he would have come up 4 inches too long if we're keeping to the door jamb dimension of 12 inches wide. He got 16 inches every time. DJA guessed 15.

I was successful in duplicating the message to these latter parameters. The size of the 3 lined, non-spaced message, was 16 inches laterally and 7 1/2 inches vertically with a distance of 40-inches from the ground. The size of the 3-lined one brick spacing was 16 inches by 13 1/2 inches and 34 inches from the ground. The size of the 4-lined non-spaced message was 16 inches laterally by 101/2 inches with a distance of 37 inches from the ground.

Finally, the last test was the 4-lined one-brick-spacing and was 16 inches by 18 1/2 inches with a 30-inch gap from the bottom of the message to the ground.
          https://www.casebook.org/dissertatio...ffthewall.html

Comment

Hand-made Victorian bricks were a standard imperial size (9 inches by 2 and 3/4 inches).
            ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Trapperologist View Post
              But why a break after "the men that" and not after "The Juwes are not"?
              We are dealing with someone who had just cut around to the left of Eddowes' navel.

Looks professional.

He not only carries chalk,probably in a right pocket,but is obviously skilled at using it.

Perhaps a lecturer of pathology who worked close to Nichols' murder.

Comment

If Jack wanted to leave a message why not put pen to paper before the murder and leave the note with the body or with the apron, [ he probably had forethought carrying the piece of chalk ]. Nobody knows for certain what the message said anyway - Jews are the men, not the men etc Or how it should be interpreted. So with that in mind why not clarify it and leave a message on MJK's wall ? Or write to the press/police explaining his actions and what the graffiti meant.
                Regards Darryl

Comment

Doubt Eddowes' murder was planned.

Reckon GSG was a ploy to lure police attention away from Mitre Square.

He was also taunting them.
                  Last edited by DJA; 12-13-2019, 09:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DJA View Post
                    Doubt Eddowes' murder was planned.

Reckon GSG was a ploy to lure police attention away from Mitre Square.

He was also taunting them.
                    I think in context a far greater likelihood is that the message referred to Jews who were actively trying to evade blame on that same night. It fits precisely.
                    Michael Richards

Comment

The key word could be "nothing",Kate's reply to being asked her name.

How could the GSG's wording possibly incite a riot!

Some police seem to have their own agenda and it is not catching Jack.

Comment

Assuming the killer wrote the GSG, would the possession of a piece of chalk to write with have been on their person already for any other reasons?

Given that carrying chalk would be an unusual object to have on your person unless it was for a specific reason - as part of an occupation or to habitualy write graffiti, which jobs in the late 19th Century required the regular use of chalk?

Ones I have already considered include police, teachers and shopkeepers, but what other jobs would have specifically required the functional use of chalk?

Comment

Tailors (predominantly Jewish)
                          ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Curious Cat View Post
                            Assuming the killer wrote the GSG, would the possession of a piece of chalk to write with have been on their person already for any other reasons?

Given that carrying chalk would be an unusual object to have on your person unless it was for a specific reason - as part of an occupation or to habitualy write graffiti, which jobs in the late 19th Century required the regular use of chalk?

Ones I have already considered include police, teachers and shopkeepers, but what other jobs would have specifically required the functional use of chalk?
                            hi curious
                            I don't think the ripper would be carrying around chalk whatever his profession. I think he went back to his bolt hole after the double event and picked some up before heading back out and signing the GSG with the portion of apron. it fits in with the overall events with the night, and explains the length of time btween eddowes murder and the discovery of the apron/gsg, including why long didn't find it first time around.
                            "Is all that we see or seem
                            but a dream within a dream?"

-Edgar Allan Poe

"...the man and the peaked cap he is said to have worn
                            quite tallies with the descriptions I got of him."

-Frederick G. Abberline

Comment

Originally posted by Spider View Post
                              Tailors (predominantly Jewish)
                              Oh of course, yes. I forgot that one.
                              Last edited by Curious Cat; 12-13-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post

hi curious
                                I don't think the ripper would be carrying around chalk whatever his profession. I think he went back to his bolt hole after the double event and picked some up before heading back out and signing the GSG with the portion of apron. it fits in with the overall events with the night, and explains the length of time btween eddowes murder and the discovery of the apron/gsg, including why long didn't find it first time around.
                                So you don't subscribe to the idea it was dropped there on the way back to the killer's base?

Would the killer have gone up and down Goulston Street twice without being seen or is the suggestion that there was a separate route away from Mitre Square first?

Comment

Working...
                                X