No announcement yet.

Was Jack enraged by watching soliciting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard, if we take the Stride interruption theory, then he would not have had time to rob her, surely? So where was the money she is supposed to have earnt?

Errata, yes the actual mutilations don't seem to me to have been carried out in a frenzy. Things are placed rather neatly around the bodies.

Comment

Hi Robert,
      How long does it take to rake through a persons pockets, even if robbery was indeed a added factor?.
      Maybe my ''observer '' theory was Robbery induced, watch a sexual business, then remove the wages of sin , along with portions of the body.
      A real unpleasant person our Jack..
      Regards Richard.

Comment

Hi Richard

We're getting away from the "enraged" theory though, aren't we? According to your theory, the first thing he did after cutting their throats was to search for their money.

Comment

Hi Robert,
          The enraged theory still applies, it just adds the robbery as another MO, If it was his tactic to observe a soliciting act, that happened to be in a secluded place, and then moved in after the client had left, removing the wages of sin, along with their life.
          I was just giving a alternative view to the murderous punter..
          Regards Richard.

Comment

Wasn't a theory advanced on Casebook about six to eight months ago, which proposed that Jack robbed the victims at knife point, before murdering them. Hence Annie placed all her possessions neatly on the ground. I seem to recall it was all part of an humiliation "ritual".

It might fit with your hypothesis.

Polly probably didn't have any money other than what she expected from her client. Annie may also have been skint. He was disturbed in the case of Stride (if Jack killed her). Eddowes was supposedly penniless. Kelly's money (again assuming Jack was responsible) was presumably somewhere "safe" as she had laid aside her clothing neatly. He might have taken that.

Incidentally - do you think that the two cheap rings found among Tumblety's possessions after his death, were Annie's - were they taken from her as part of a robbery? Or as reminders? fetish objects?

Phil H

Comment

So why were there only 5 killings attributed to Jack at a time when prostitution was rife in the East end? If it's just prostitution that sets him off,given the ample opportunity he had why were there not more killings or assaults?
              The "demon drink" was blamed for a lot of life's misfortunes in the 19th century, including the descent into a life of prostitution. Perhaps it was the stereotypical "fallen woman seduced by drink" which enraged the killer.
              If JtR was a 'watcher' those who believe Hutchinson was the killer will be greatly encouraged.

Regards, Bridewell.
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Hi Bridewell,
                I hate to admit it but the observer possibly seen by Lewis[ Mrs] apparently watching the court, does indeed fit the Hutchinson mode..
                Oh dear surely not...
                Regards Richard.

Comment

The demon drink was going to be my reason to ask Phil his thoughts on Pollys' bonnet, given the general impression that as soon as these women had any money they went straight to the pub.
                  However, a bit of retail therapy to cheer yourself up is an extremely good and very human explanation,and ultimately rather moving.
                  Apart from Polly, is there any clear evidence that the other victims were obviously drunk? in drink certainly,but falling down drunk?
                  It's far too subjective though isnt it? what I did think based on one of Peter Sutcliffes earliest murders is that drink can cause aggressive behaviour in some people and maybe Jacks victims were stroppy,insulting and said or did something that pushed him over the edge,although in Anne Chapmans case,Long and Cadoschs' evidence doesnt support that.
                  All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by martin wilson View Post
                    Apart from Polly, is there any clear evidence that the other victims were obviously drunk? in drink certainly,but falling down drunk?
                    Well I would contend that Eddowes couldn't have been entirely sobered up, and at Dorset Street witnesses suggest that Kelly was pretty far gone...and that was before she and blotchy polished off the beer...so the former possibly still tottering a little and the latter maybe somewhat more horizontal than that...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by richardnunweek View Post
                      Hi,
                      When one talks of Jack the Ripper, visions of him approaching prostitutes as a punter appear, however was this the actual case?
                      Was Jack enraged by the act of soliciting, was the anger fuelled by seeing these women accost men?
                      In the case of Tabram, we know that she and Pearly Poll, flaunted themselves with soldiers, and we know that Martha went off with one of them .
                      I ask the question ..did her killer wait until she was alone before moving in , actually entering George yard buildings finding the tired and drunken Tabram on the first floor landing.
                      In the case of Nichols, we know there is a time discrepancy between the time she was seen by Emily Holland , and her death in Bucks Row, which could indicate ample time for her to attempt to attract a punter, especially with the ''jolly bonnet''
                      Did Jack observe such a scene, and follow her , possibly accosting her in Brady street,
                      In the case of Chapman, we have the perfect case of possibly a ''watcher'', it is entirely possibly by the time frame, that Mrs Long saw Chapman and a punter about to enter the yard, and entirely possible that he left the passage into Hanbury street, leaving the exhausted Annie sitting against the fence, and Jack moved in , and the ''No'' and thud was heard.
                      In the case of Stride we have the whole evening of apparent soliciting, leaving the ''Brickmakers arms''. the scenes in Berner street, and the loitering outside the club..
                      Was Jack ''Broad shoulders'' or the loitering pipeman..both strong candidates.?
                      In Kate Eddowes, once more we have the apparent solicit in church passage, the hand on chest, which could indicate a ''back off, as well as a sign of affection,if the former then it is possible that the sailor type walked off , and the Ripper followed her into Mitre square..
                      In the case of Mary Kelly, we have her apparently on the pick up on the eve of the 8TH, seen with a young man, also we have Hutchinson's account, even Mrs Maxwell's porter at 845am on the 9TH.
                      We could have the same observer scenario present here also..
                      I feel that the stalker option , is an alternative to the punter approach that most of us adhere to..
                      The rough abusive killer is my idea of ''Jack''
                      Regards Richard.
                      Hi Richard
                      I highly doubt it. First of all, most serial killers deepest motivation comes from the pleasure they derive (or urges released) from their acts. For JtR it was what he could do to a woman with a knife-murder, mutilation,extracting organs. Anger at them solicitating(for being whores basically)may be a superficial reason that some serial killers may give as a reason to justify there actions but i think most experts would agree the true motivation is deeper than that.

Secondly, timing (and logistics)is an issue. JtR was in and out of there in the nick of time and i just dont see this jibing with someone who is going to have to see a women solicitating and/or completing an act with another man, then being able to get to her right after the first man leaves and with her still in the secluded location.

Thirdly-planning. Is the killer in your scenario venturing out evry night with a sharp knife in his pocket in the chance that he knows he might be enraged by seeing a women solicitating? Is he planning on being enraged? How do you plan on a crime of passion? It does not compute.

Comment

Hi Abby,
                        I am not suggesting that he ventured out every night /morning with a huge knife in his pocket, although not impossible.
                        Many serial killers actually plan the days they set out to kill, we already have the dates of similar pattern in the Ripper murders, my thirty nine theory outlines that rather well.
                        The term ''enraged'' may be a trifle out of context, how about incensed, he may have had religious mania, 'You will say anything but your prayers'' could relate to that.
                        To witness women solicit themselves on the streets, for money may have triggered a urge to punish that was beyond his control.
                        As for a secluded position.
                        Tabram was off the streets, Nichols may have been followed into the dingy Bucks row, Chapman was already in a backyard, Eddowes could have ventured herself into Mitre square, to get away from a over amorous sailor boy, Stride was inches away from a dark yard, and Kelly had her own room, and possibly a unlocked door.
                        I would not class it, as a classic crime of passion, unless we interpret Mary Kelly as quite different.
                        Regards Richard.

Comment

Weren't the medicos of the opinion that, "no recent connection", had occurred? Given the murders of 7th and 30th September have such short time-frames, how does the theory explain the killer watching the victims having intercourse, when there's no evidence of intercourse having just occurred?

Comment

Hi Disco Stu,
                            I was never suggesting that the killer watched any sexual activity take place, just his own image of what soliciting involved.
                            In Tabram's case[ if indeed a Ripper event] she went into George yard buildings with somebody, killer or not,. to engage.
                            Nichols appeared to have taken a long time to have walked down Whitechapel high street, before entering Brady street, and on to Bucks row, plenty of time to attract custom, and be witnessed.
                            Chapman was seen to be in the process of entering number 29, again to a observer , the act was nigh
                            Stride appeared to have been some time in Berner street , with at least one man, and her intentions to a observer would have been apparent.
                            Eddowes also in church passage was to a observer being friendly[ I did explain that it may have been a no no on her part]
                            And MJK, was clearly to a observer intending to pick up .
                            None of this implies that such a person witnessed the act, just the actions only implied
                            As for evidence of sexual contact, it does not mean that none took place, just overlooked, and there are many reasons for that.
                            Regards Richard.

Comment

In the case of Annie Chapman, if Jack was watching her from a distance and saw her enter #29 Hanbury St., then it seems to me he would have assumed Annie had some connection to that house, not that she was sneaking through a house occupied by strangers to gain entrance to their back yard. If he was waiting for both her and her customer to emerge, but only the man did, I see no reason why he would suspect Annie of being in the back yard and find it highly unlikely that he would have just walked into this strange house to search for her room to room and then eventually found her in the yard.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Richard,

Can I assume you're referring to the non-vaginal intercourse theory? It is, admittedly, difficult to categorically refute. The central idea, I believe, is that the most common form of intercourse was oral. There would not, therefore, be any seminal fluid in the reproductive tract.

The problem with the theory is that it relies heavily on the idea that the doctors were prudish Victorian gentry who were unaware of any other forms of intercourse. Most of the doctors involved were, in fact, Police Surgeons, and, more importantly, local to the area. I think it's reasonable to assume they knew what to look for, and where. The digestive tracts seem to have been analyzed in the surviving post mortem records, and no mention is made of, presumably fresh, seminal fluid.

Whether the theoretical suspect saw the act, or simply the solicitation prior, the lack of evidence for recent connection is a major problem for the theory. Unless the killer was on the spot at the time, it's difficult to put forward a "rage killer".

In saying all this, I'm trying to be constructively critical rather than argumentative. It's great that you've put forward a theory and I'd rather see it fleshed out with answers than shoot it down.

Comment

Working...
                                X