Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How realistic was it for JTR to disguise himself as a PC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post

It wasn't. I've been there myself, on many occasions, and nothing of the old Miller's Court was to be seen. Not one brick, slate or paving stone.
    I'm talking about the dark area that can be seen by looking into the arched entrance! Not the window at the very front facing the street. The window facing the street would have been boarded up, but the other one would have been seen by anyone entering the archway.

Comment

Incidentally, you'll notice from Andrew Firth's montage that the original frontages of the houses in Dorset Street stood several feet in front of the new buildings that replaced them after they were demolished.
      How would he have known such a detail?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leanne View Post
        How would he have known such a detail?
        We have detailed maps, fire insurance plans (etc) which allow us to be very accurate when overlaying images of Victorian and modern London.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen" (Nietzsche, Götzendämmerung, 1888)

Comment

I'm talking about the dark area that can be seen by looking into the arched entrance! Not the window at the very front facing the street. The window facing the street would have been boarded up, but the other one would have been seen by anyone entering the archway.
          There was no window inside the archway, and I can't imagine why there would be. Not much point in having a window looking directly into a passage barely a metre wide.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Not so. That footage was shot on a mobile phone, and the car park was built in 1971, decades before such technology became available. Indeed, the date under the video clip is 2011, so the car park had been there for 40 years already.
            The murder of Jack the Ripper's final victim, Mary Kelly, described in detail on a tour through the old Whitechapel district of London. The group is standing…

Then where was it filmed? That's all I'm trying to determine,
            Look outside the entry, Can that building help us pin-point the location?

Comment

• What is it then?

Comment

• Where's this?:

Comment

• Hi Leanne,

That's from the set of "Ripper Street". https://jtr3d.com/2017/07/20/ripper-...millers-court/

Comment

The murder of Jack the Ripper's final victim, Mary Kelly, described in detail on a tour through the old Whitechapel district of London. The group is standing…

Then where was it filmed? That's all I'm trying to determine,
                    Look outside the entry, Can that building help us pin-point the location?
                    It looks very much like a narrow thoroughfare called Parliament Court, just off Artillery Passage (Google Maps are your friend). Here's a photo I took there in 2009:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Parliament Court.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	708423

It's struck me as a little reminiscent of what Miller's Court might have looked like - except that it's an alleyway, rather than a dead-end courtyard.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

Not so. That footage was shot on a mobile phone, and the car park was built in 1971, decades before such technology became available. Indeed, the date under the video clip is 2011, so the car park had been there for 40 years already.
                      Under that video it says this:

The murder of Jack the Ripper's final victim, Mary Kelly, described in detail on a tour through the old Whitechapel district of London. The group is standing only a few meters from where Mary Kelly was found and only a few blocks from the Ten Bells pub. The video ends with an interesting theory about the nature of Jack the Ripper.

(For those interested, this was a London Walks tour -- londonwalks.com -- in December of 2010.)

Comment

Under that video it says this:

The murder of Jack the Ripper's final victim, Mary Kelly, described in detail on a tour through the old Whitechapel district of London. The group is standing only a few meters from where Mary Kelly was found
                        The video caption is incorrect, and the people who filmed it were either mistaken or misinformed. Buildings like that simply did not exist in what used to be Dorset Street after its demolition in 1928, and certainly not after the development of the White's Row car park in 1971. I know, because I've been there a lot. Rather more often than a tourist with a cell-phone who filmed a tour guide giving a spiel. Entertaining as that spiel was, it was highly dramatic, and inadvertently gave Mary Kelly three breasts; two on the bedside table and one in the fire.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

Comment

The video cEntertaining as that spiel was, it was highly dramatic, and inadvertently gave Mary Kelly three breasts; two on the bedside table and one in the fire.
                          Inadvertently? Or did the guide know that Kelly's true name was actually Eccentrica Gallumbits?

Comment

• Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post

Inadvertently? Or did the guide know that Kelly's true name was actually Eccentrica Gallumbits?
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

There was no window inside the archway, and I can't imagine why there would be. Not much point in having a window looking directly into a passage barely a metre wide.
                              What looks to me to be a window was probably part of the newer building. There was no car inside the archway in 1888!

Comment

• For that Ripper Walk video, did they use old bricks when they built the new wall?

Comment

Working...
                                X