• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
    The old Goad map, yes.

Regards, Pierre
    yes,

It certainly shows no hotels or lodging houses, but the public house may have let rooms, census will probably show that.
    Private stay above offices or shops of course possible.

Any comments on why that location may have been more convenient than others? just wondering?

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Elamarna View Post
      Pierre

Forgot to mention, checking the census records for say 81 and 91 should give some idea of what degree of letting was taking place in the street.

Steve
      Yes, but it would give a result not valid for deducing an hypothesis for one individual. Also, it is not the right time period. Of course, you already know all of this. Just mentioning it.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Yes, but it would give a result not valid for deducing an hypothesis for one individual. Also, it is not the right time period. Of course, you already know all of this. Just mentioning it.

Regards, Pierre
        Pierre

Of course would not be searching for a particular person, just looking to see if for both periods 81 and 91 there appeared to be a degree of letting.
        A while it is true it is not 88, if letting was taking place in both periods it would seem probable that such also took place in 88.
        letting in only one period would not rule such out, but the probability would be lower.

I would expect there to be some degree of letting, it could equally involve the two properties which are either fully or partially referred to as Dwelling..

Steve
        Last edited by Elamarna; 06-09-2016, 10:31 AM.

Comment

It is not far from the Royal Courts of Justice.
          What is it that makes you say that Pierre? I mean, it's not far from Trafalgar Square or Whitehall or Scotland Yard or many theatres. What is it about the location which makes you think it is particularly close to the RCJ?

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
            What is it that makes you say that Pierre? I mean, it's not far from Trafalgar Square or Whitehall or Scotland Yard or many theatres. What is it about the location which makes you think it is particularly close to the RCJ?
            It's not really that close to the King Lud where John Arnold supposedly met his informant, either.

Comment

I think Pierre honestly thinks his statistical, source analysis approach is the only way to solve the case. He gathers source information from people on this site and forms a hypothetical based on his approach. He is making this up as he goes along. He may have had a base "type" of suspect to begin with, which is a policeman.
              Last edited by jerryd; 06-09-2016, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                It's not really that close to the King Lud where John Arnold supposedly met his informant, either.
                No its a good 15 minute walk, Why approach him there when Arnold lived next door to King William Street.

Steve

Comment

Pierre

Of course would not be searching for a particular person, just looking to see if for both periods 81 and 91 there appeared to be a degree of letting.
                  A while it is true it is not 88, if letting was taking place in both periods it would seem probable that such also took place in 88.
                  letting in only one period would not rule such out, but the probability would be lower.

I would expect there to be some degree of letting, it could equally involve the two properties which are either fully or partially referred to as Dwelling..

Steve
                  Yes, there were indeed some furnished rooms to let for gentlemen in King William Street in 1888.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

No its a good 15 minute walk, Why approach him there when Arnold lived next door to King William Street.

Steve
                    Because Arnold and the police officer did not know each other.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by jerryd View Post
                      I think Pierre honestly thinks his statistical, source analysis approach is the only way to solve the case. He gathers source information from people on this site and forms a hypothetical based on his approach. He is making this up as he goes along. He may have had a base "type" of suspect to begin with, which is a policeman.
                      Hi Jerry,

No, I donīt. Statistics is naturally not always relevant. Historical methods are.

And you can forget the thing about "source information from people". I prefer primary sources.

And the last sentence, forget it. It is wrong.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Yes, there were indeed some furnished rooms to let for gentlemen in King William Street in 1888.

Regards, Pierre
                        your source for this, considering I gave you mine.

The point of interest is not rooms to let, but "rooms to let for gentlemen" The word "gentlemen" having a specific use in 1888

Steve
                        Last edited by Elamarna; 06-09-2016, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Hi Jerry,

No, I donīt. Statistics is naturally not always relevant. Historical methods are.

And you can forget the thing about "source information from people". I prefer primary sources.

And the last sentence, forget it. It is wrong.

Regards, Pierre
                          Ok, "Historical methods".

I think I'm spot on, Pierre.

Comment

I see you have not yet given a reason why you consider king william street convent for the man.

Steve

Comment

Because Arnold and the police officer did not know each other.

Regards, Pierre

Pierre

So you hypothesis that they have been living within a few hundred yards, at most of each other, for a reasonable amount of time, yet did not know each other by sight?
                              If he did not know Arnold, why did he approach him?
                              Or is it pure coincidence that they were also living close to each other?

regards

Steve

Comment

Pierre

So you hypothesis that they have been living within a few hundred yards, at most of each other, for a reasonable amount of time, yet did not know each other by sight?
                                If he did not know Arnold, why did he approach him?
                                Or is it pure coincidence that they were also living close to each other?

regards

Steve
                                Donald Swanson stated that John Arnold was well-known to the police. Plus he worked at the Charing Cross post office selling newspapers. There must have been police walking by him on a daily basis.

Comment

Working...
                                X