The **** are the men.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Wheat View Post
    I doubt the GSG was written by Jack and even if it was it tells us nothing. Thus all the pontification about the GSG is a waste of time.
    It's a big if, but if the GSG was written by Jack, it would tell us that he wrote the graffito in the entrance to the New Model Dwellings on Goulston Street and that, either on the same occasion or later, he also dumped a piece of the Eddowes apron at the same location. Pontification might not be justified, but, were the 'if' found to be a reality, it might be reasonable to conclude that Jack lived in the New Model Dwellings - or very close by.
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by c.d. View Post
      This is pure speculation so I will just throw it out there. If the killer knew of the existence of the GSG beforehand, could he have used it as a landmark in order to retrieve the apron at a later time?

c.d.
      Why would he throw it away if he wanted to retrieve it? Why not just hang onto it? Or are you suggesting that he was in danger of getting caught with a trophy and therefore dumped it in a hurry? If so, in danger from whom, as neither Long nor Halse mentioned seeing any lone males?

Multiple questions there, so apologies for that. I am not seeking to challenge what you say, just to pursue the line of reasoning to a conclusion. I do wonder (if Jack threw the apron piece because he thought he was in danger) whether Long was the perceived threat - and actually saw him do so. Did he conceal the fact that he had not challenged the individual concerned? Otherwise, why would Long even notice the piece of cloth at all? It was not in a lighted area, so any staining would not be easily visible and he had no way of knowing that a piece of apron was missing. Why did Long pay any attention to, or even notice, a piece of filthy rag in the dark corner of a stairwell? I can't imagine that such items were anything out of the ordinary. (I'm sure Trevor Marriott is right to conclude that people used such things to wipe themselves).
      Last edited by Bridewell; 05-18-2016, 04:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
        Why would he throw it away if he wanted to retrieve it? Why not just hang onto it? Or are you suggesting that he was in danger of getting caught with a trophy and therefore dumped it in a hurry? If so, in danger from whom, as neither Long nor Halse mentioned seeing any lone males?

Multiple questions there, so apologies for that. I am not seeking to challenge what you say, just to pursue the line of reasoning to a conclusion. I do wonder (if Jack threw the apron piece because he thought he was in danger) whether Long was the perceived threat - and actually saw him do so. Did he conceal the fact that he had not challenged the individual concerned? Otherwise, why would Long even notice the piece of cloth at all? It was not in a lighted area, so any staining would not be easily visible and he had no way of knowing that a piece of apron was missing. Why did Long pay any attention to, or even notice, a piece of filthy rag in the dark corner of a stairwell? I can't imagine that such items were anything out of the ordinary. (I'm sure Trevor Marriott is right to conclude that people used such things to wipe themselves).
        Hi Bridewell
        Long probably noticed the apron piece because it was directly under the graffiti and was white and actually quite large.

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
          It's a big if, but if the GSG was written by Jack, it would tell us that he wrote the graffito in the entrance to the New Model Dwellings on Goulston Street and that, either on the same occasion or later, he also dumped a piece of the Eddowes apron at the same location. Pontification might not be justified, but, were the 'if' found to be a reality, it might be reasonable to conclude that Jack lived in the New Model Dwellings - or very close by.
          Perhaps it was a Red Herring.
          My name is Dave. You cannot reach me through Debs email account

Comment

Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
            Hi Bridewell
            Long probably noticed the apron piece because it was directly under the graffiti and was white and actually quite large.
            But, as I said above, Long noticed the apron piece before the writing. It was quite big, though, as you say, and mostly white.

"[Coroner] Which did you notice first - the piece of apron or the writing on the wall? - The piece of apron, one corner of which was wet with blood.
            [Coroner] How came you to observe the writing on the wall? - I saw it while trying to discover whether there were any marks of blood about. "

Comment

Hi Bridewell
              Quite large yes, and originally white - but filthy. Was it directly under the graffito? I thought that was disputed - don't have my copy of The Ultimate to hand though, so can't check.

Comment

It was the apron he noticed first, and only found the small graffiti because he had his lamp aimed at the wall looking for blood spots.
                Regards, Jon S.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                  It was the apron he noticed first, and only found the small graffiti because he had his lamp aimed at the wall looking for blood spots.
                  That was his evidence and I see no reason to doubt it's accuracy.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Probably the light from PC Long's lamp caught the bloodstains on the apron. I agree it was probably extremely grimy and wouldn't have been lying there like material in an advert for washing powder. Long was probably extra alert to anything and everything at the time because of the ongoing investigation of Stride's murder.

It's interesting that he hadn't yet heard of the Mitre Square happenings at the time of the discovery and thought that the apron might have come from another victim. It must have been delicious conveying that piece of apron back to the station, by the way!

Comment

According to Long himself, he had heard of the Mitre Square murder;

"[Coroner] Before going did you hear that a murder had been committed? - Yes. It is common knowledge that two murders have been perpetrated.
                      [Coroner] Which did you hear of? - I heard of the murder in the City. There were rumours of another, but not certain. "

Comment

Originally posted by Joshua Rogan View Post
                        According to Long himself, he had heard of the Mitre Square murder;

"[Coroner] Before going did you hear that a murder had been committed? - Yes. It is common knowledge that two murders have been perpetrated.
                        [Coroner] Which did you hear of? - I heard of the murder in the City. There were rumours of another, but not certain. "
                        From whom did he hear of the Eddowes murder and the "rumours" (plural) of another I wonder?

Comment

Sadly, he doesn't seem to have given any more details (unless anyone knows of some?). Other PCs, passers-by, supposition from hearing lots of whistles? I can't remember where, but I'm sure I read recently that the warehouseman in Mitre Square heard whistles from Berner Street (which must be a kilometre due East), and assumed there had been another murder.

Comment

Originally posted by Wickerman View Post
                            Hi Wickerman
                            thanks for clarifying. so it seems the apron brought his attention to the immediate area, which led him to examine the apron, find blood on it and then look around where he found the graffiti.

Why would a discarded apron cause such attention to a police officer-so much so that he would examine it enough to find blood?

Comment

Why would a discarded apron cause such attention to a police officer-so much so that he would examine it enough to find blood?
                              A good question.

Comment

If PC Long had already heard of the murder, as suggested above, his attention might've been drawn to the apron, as he hadn't seen it on his last patrol.

Comment

Working...
                                X