• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Dubious Honour

Originally posted by Phil Carter View Post
    Hello all,

Sharks (roughly) in order of appearance and munching:-

Chris George, Lynn Cates, Stephen Thomas, Wickerman, Robert, DVV, Fleetwood Mac, Caz, Scott Nelson, Abby Normal, Steven Russell, Fisherman, Simon Wood, Roy Courduroy, Hunter, D.B.Wagstaff, Bridewell, Spyglass, Phil Carter, Rob Clack, The Good Michael, Cognibus.

Oh shock, horror, we have all been the subject of a little experiment.

Oh, the unoticed irony.

Phil
    Hi Phil,

I have absolutely no idea whether I should be mortally offended or deeply delighted by my inclusion in the shark list, As "hammerhead" is taken, can I have "basking" please?

As far as the GSG is concerned, would the killer have left such an ambiguous message? Would he not have said something like:

"We Jews had nothing to do with these murders" or

"We Jews are killing whores and there's nothing you can do about it".

depending on what meaning he meant to convey.

Regards, "Basking Bridewell" (or should that be "Barking"?)
    I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Never be ashamed Bridewell.

You've nothing to be ashamed for.

Monty
      Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

• Hi All,

Don makes a good point.

Interesting also that at the Eddowes inquest on 11th October neither PC Long nor DC Halse, both present in Goulston Street at the time of the GSG's erasure, mentioned that the order had been given by Sir Charles Warren; especially as the story had broken that same morning in the Pall Mall Gazette.

Regards,

Simon
        Never believe anything until it has been officially denied.

Comment

• Originally posted by Monty View Post
          The whole point of this thread was to see how sharks feed, my own experiment.

And boy did they feed.
          I'm somewhat confused here, Monty

What was the experiment and what were the results?
          allisvanityandvexationofspirit

Comment

• Bridewell,

I am sorry if I was not clear. I have suggested that Detective Constable Daniel Halse seems -- to me -- to have painted himself in the most flattering light possible in his inquest testimony: always showing initiative, issuing orders, and so on. I particularly question that, as a "mere constable" surrounded by high ranking police officials, he actually protested loudly at the erasure of the graffito. In this, he is directly contradicted by PC Long, for what it is worth.

Don.
            "To expose [the Senator] is rather like performing acts of charity among the deserving poor; it needs to be done and it makes one feel good, but it does nothing to end the problem."

Comment

• Originally posted by Supe View Post
              Bridewell,

I am sorry if I was not clear. I have suggested that Detective Constable Daniel Halse seems -- to me -- to have painted himself in the most flattering light possible in his inquest testimony: always showing initiative, issuing orders, and so on. I particularly question that, as a "mere constable" surrounded by high ranking police officials, he actually protested loudly at the erasure of the graffito. In this, he is directly contradicted by PC Long, for what it is worth.

Don.
              Hi Don,

I clearly got hold of the wrong end of the stick. My apologies.

All the Best, Bridewell
              I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• pulling rank

Hello Don. You are right. Halse sounded like the chap giving orders to Outram and Marriott when in fact he was outranked by one of them.

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

• If Jack did not write the graffito, then somone else certainly did. It's intriguing to think, considering the publicity given to the graffito, that there was someone walking around the area who knew he, or she, was responsible for the graffito. Wonder why they never came forward ? It would have saved a lot of bother.
                  Last edited by Observer; 03-18-2012, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• Wonder why they never came forward ? It would have saved a lot of bother.
                    It probably wasn't seen as a big deal just then...

Dave

Comment

• Hi Dave

I beg to differ. The link between the graffito, and the murderer rendered it a very big deal indeed I'd say. Of course the reverse could be the solution, that is, the murderer wrote the graffito. And he, for obvious reasons, did not come forward.

Observer
                      Last edited by Observer; 03-18-2012, 01:15 AM.

Comment

• Sorry Observer, but I suspect the average Cockney really couldn't give a stuff about yet another piece of graffiti on a wall...he/she would probably have been more concerned with "the Irish coming in and taking our jobs or the Jews coming in and making money out of us"...but chalk words on a wall? Give it a rest son...words is ten a penny (as my east end grandad once told me!)...

Dave

Comment

• What makes you think it was a Cockney ? The immediate area was predominately Jewish. There is room for the graffito to have been written by a Jewish local, not involved with the murder. Also, are you saying that a local Cockney, should he had been the author, would have failed to see the enormity of the situation? That is, the innocent little message he scrawled on an East End doorway was being touted as the work of the East End murderer.

Observe

Comment

• Hi Observer

Either way, working day to day for survival, do you really think either Native cockneys, London-Irish or East European Jews would've seen chalk writings on a wall as important?

I don't...these people didn't even take Hitler that seriously! They honestly thought in some cases the Luftwaffe had indirectly done them a favour by demolishing some of the slums (and yet, even then, some propounded a thought that the older slums had survived better than the newer buildings).

I re-iterate what my Wapping grandad once told me..."Give it a rest son...Words is ten a penny"...

All the best
                            Dave
                            Last edited by Cogidubnus; 03-18-2012, 02:06 AM.

Comment

• I think you miss my point. I'm reffering to the individual who wrote the graffito, should it have been written by a local, innocent of the act of murder. I'm sure, provided they were aware of the significance of the graffito, he/she, would have been a little hot under the collar when it was revealed that the police were of the opinion that it had possibly been written by the murderer.

Regards

Observer

Comment

• If they heard about it at all, I still really don't think they'd have given a stuff...sorry!

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X