No announcement yet.

The Halse version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple killers working a small area with nigh on the same base characteristics?

Oh dear.

Monty
    Monty

https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...t/evilgrin.gif

Author of Capturing Jack the Ripper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/1445621622

Comment

Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
      Regardless of whether or not the killer actually wrote it, the fact that the wording is still subject of debate 123 years after the event is testament to the stupidity of Warren & Arnold in having it erased before it could be photographed. We know (Walter Dew) that such graffiti was commonplace, so why the haste in removing this particular example, if it was, indeed, unconnected? It was IMHO sheer stupidity to assume as they did, that the writing was not connected, when there was even a faint possibility that it might be. There is also no point in doing so to prevent the stirring of anti-semitic feelings when both versions were brought to the attention of the public during the Eddowes inquest a few days later. I see no difficulty in screening the script from view, photographing it and then erasing it before it was seen. A probationer fresh out of training school would see this decision as
      monumentally stupid, and would be entirely right in so doing.
      Having erased the graffito, and knowing that they would be blamed for that, the Met would have logically tried its best to ascertain that it had been chalked before Sept 30, and was therefore unconnected, or at least not from the killer's hand. (We know that they have interrogated the people who lived there, in Wentworth Model Dwellings.)
      But it seems they couldn't find evidence that the message had been written before the murder, for had it been the case, they would have been too happy to clamour it.

Comment

Really David? On what basis do you draw that?

Most here view the removal from the dection aspect rather than prevention. Obviously the Met felt the need to remove it due to public staftey, as they state.

Perfectly reasonable when taking the writing in context, in other words there is no immediate value.

Monty
        Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
          Obviously the Met felt the need to remove it due to public staftey, as they state.
          That they felt this need, rightly or not, is hardly a proof that the piece of apron wasn't purposely left near to the graffito, Neil. Why did they feel the need to copy it, then ?

Comment

Originally posted by DVV View Post
            That they felt this need, rightly or not, is hardly a proof that the piece of apron wasn't purposely left near to the graffito, Neil. Why did they feel the need to copy it, then ?
            Because its a possible clue.

Not that its an ascertained one.

The only reason the writing is in the equation is due to the apron piece, thats hardly proof either.

Monty
            Monty

Comment

nigh

Hello Neil.

"Multiple killers . . ."

Umm, why plural? ONE multiple killer.

" . . . working a small area with nigh on the same base characteristics?"

Well, perhaps in the same way as Edinburgh is nigh on London.

"Oh dear."

Agreed. Now you're talking. (heh-heh)

Cheers.
              LC

Comment

agreed

Hello (again) Neil.

"Most here view the removal from the deception aspect rather than prevention."

Not I. I wonder the result had a mob seen the graffito. Bad police move; good human move.

Heavens, we agreed! Gulp! (heh-heh)

Cheers.
                LC

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
                  Because its a possible clue.

Not that its an ascertained one.

The only reason the writing is in the equation is due to the apron piece, thats hardly proof either.

Monty
                  Agreed, of course.
                  And a possible clue shouldn't have been erased.

Comment

The thing is, given that the police acted swiftly and erased the writing while it was still dark, because they feared a 'mob' would read it and react angrily, it kind of contradicts the idea that these words - white on black - had been hanging around for hours, even days, in broad daylight, with no reaction whatsoever. Bear in mind, this wasn't a murder scene and nobody passing by would have known about the apron found beneath, once it had been picked up and taken away.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    Last edited by caz; 03-01-2012, 07:31 PM.
                    "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

Hi Bridewell,

You asked:

"...but would a Jew pretending to be a Gentile not choose a more obviously Gentile site than the stairway to a tenement inhabited predominantly by Jews?"

I don't believe for one moment it was written by a Jew pretending to be a Gentile, I was just trying to make sense of this one word being misspelled. Personally I think it's more likely to have been the work of a Gentile who misspelled Jews out of contempt, which can happen by accident or design, as we can all see by the numerous variations of Pat Cornwell's name.

The point of a Jew pretending to be a Gentile would presumably have been to show Gentiles in a bad light, by suggesting that one had defaced this spanking new, shiny bright and obviously Jewish site with a poorly spelled anti-Semitic message. That point would have been lost on an old Gentile wall surely?

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      "Comedy is simply a funny way of being serious." Peter Ustinov

Comment

erasure

Hello Caroline.

"The thing is, given that the police acted swiftly and erased the writing while it was still dark, because they feared a 'mob' would read it and react angrily, it kind of contradicts the idea that these words - white on black - had been hanging around for hours, even days, in broad daylight, with no reaction whatsoever."

Not so sure. They might have thought there would be one.

It DOES, however, contradict that there would be a riot if the GSG were not erased. For, if it were there for days, unerased, there was clearly no riot. On the other hand, neither was there a body in Mitre sq until that time.

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Originally posted by caz View Post
                          The thing is, given that the police acted swiftly and erased the writing while it was still dark, because they feared a 'mob' would read it and react angrily, it kind of contradicts the idea that these words - white on black - had been hanging around for hours, even days, in broad daylight, with no reaction whatsoever. Bear in mind, this wasn't a murder scene and nobody passing by would have known about the apron found beneath, once it had been picked up and taken away.

Love,

Caz
                          X
                          The words by themselves wouldnt have drawn such a reaction Caz, its the apron piece that adds the spice.

Intentionally or not.

Monty
                          Last edited by Monty; 03-01-2012, 09:17 PM.
                          Monty

Comment

The graffito wasn't there for days, it's highly unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by lynn cates View Post
                              Hello David. Although I eschew the title, I think one MUST be interested in fiction to pursue "Jack."

Cheers.
                              LC
                              Ahh, well that explains why I have so much contention with these 'fringe' theories, ...I don't like fiction.
                              Thanks for the heads-up Lynn.

I guess being a fiction-lover does have its advantages, they get to dumb-down all the professionals as incompetent, and brand any witnesses they choose as liars. Which just paves the way for any type of nincompoop theories.

Regards, Jon S.
                              Regards, Jon S.

Comment

awe

Hello Jon. I would never think of branding the professionals as anything but that. When I look through the work of Abberline, Warren and a few others--especially the City of London Police--I stand in awe. Really.

Cheers.
                                LC

Comment

Working...
                                X