Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Pierre;393829]
    Originally posted by Elamarna View Post

I already know what you think about this source, Steve.

Yes

And it seems you do not want or are unwilling to discuss the issues.

What a surprise?

Steve

Comment

[QUOTE=Pierre;393826]
      Originally posted by John G View Post

J Hall Richardson. From the City to Fleet Street, 1929.

The source is late but has high explanatory value:

"The Police and Press received many letters from the " Ripper," mostly written in red ink, and I give one:

" Liverpool,
      " 29th inst.
      " BEWARE I shall be at work on the 1st and 2nd inst. in `Minories' at 12 midnight and I give the authorities a good chance but there is never a Policeman near when I am at work.
      Yours,
      " JACK THE RIPPER."
      " Prince William St., L'pool.
      " What fools the police are I even give them the name of the street where I am living.
      " Yours,
      " JACK THE RIPPER.""

You find it here:
      http://www.casebook.org/ripper_media...l?printer=true

Regards, Pierre
      What does this actually explain? Seems like a simple hoax to me.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pierre;393826][QUOTE=John G;393822]

I guess you can see what the letter means but let me interpret it:

" Liverpool,
        " 29th inst.

" BEWARE
        This is the warning.

I shall be at work on the 1st and 2nd
        The killer shall work on two victims.

inst.
        This month, and not the 1st and 2nd. The date was 30th September. (Inst.)

in `Minories'
        This specific area.

at 12 midnight
        That is the time when he will be at work in the Minories. Stride is found an hour later.

and I give the authorities a good chance
        With this letter, they are given a chance to stop it.

but there is never a Policeman near when I am at work.
        Right. There wasn´t.

Yours,
        " JACK THE RIPPER."
        This is the first reference to the name.

Prince William became king William. King William Street was situated near The Strand and Charing Cross.

" What fools the police are I even give them the name of the street where I am living.
        Fools, indeed. They were given the area for the intended murders as well as the time and the date. And he gave them the name of the street where they could find him.

" Yours,
        " JACK THE RIPPER.""
        And there was a personal reason for the name Jack the Ripper. I will get back to that later.

Regards, Pierre
        Last edited by Pierre; 09-28-2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post

" Liverpool,
          " 29th inst.
          " BEWARE I shall be at work on the 1st and 2nd inst. in `Minories' at 12 midnight and I give the authorities a good chance but there is never a Policeman near when I am at work.
          Yours,
          " JACK THE RIPPER."
          " Yours,
          " JACK THE RIPPER.""
          This reminds me of a thread started by Pierre on 1 January of this year, entitled, without any apparent irony, "An important discovery", in which he said:

"Craig has posted an article by Bernard Brown. In the article the author has published a letter I haven´t seen before. The letter is dated September 29th 1888. Brown writes:

“Yet further clues were contained in another letter received by police bearing a Liverpool postmark dated 29th September 1888, but these were not identified as such."

And he said:

"But when I read this letter I discovered some very important things:

1. It is written on the day preceeding the murders of the “double event”. This means it could be authentic."

The funny thing is that when I read the purported text of the purported letter, I can't see the date of 29th September 1888 anywhere.

Comment

[QUOTE=David Orsam;393835]
            The funny thing is that when I read the purported text of the purported letter, I can't see the date of 29th September 1888 anywhere.
            You have to interpret it in the context of the whole letter.

Comment

Why do I need to "interpret" anything?

You stated in your post on 1st Jan:

"The letter is dated September 29th 1888"

But it's not is it?

And there is no "postmark".

Comment

Your interpretation, you are entiltled to the view of course but it is a view of 1.

This specific area.

That is the time when he will be at work in the Minories. Stride is found an hour later.

Pierre, neither Stride or Eddowes were in the Minories. Therefore it is wrong.

Prince William became king William. King William Street was near The Strand.
                Without supporting data, which from previous threads it is clear you do not have on this matter. such a statement the stuff of dreams.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                  Why do I need to "interpret" anything?

You stated in your post on 1st Jan:

"The letter is dated September 29th 1888"

But it's not is it?

And there is no "postmark".
                  But you mustn't be a great historian.
                  G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pierre;393834][QUOTE=Pierre;393826]
                    Originally posted by John G View Post

I guess you can see what the letter means but let me interpret it:

[I]
                    " Liverpool,
                    " 29th inst.

This is the warning.

The killer shall work on two victims.

This specific area.

With this letter, they are given a chance to stop it.

Right. There wasn´t.

This is the first reference to the name.

Prince William became king William. King William Street was situated near The Strand and Charing Cross.

Fools, indeed. They were given the area for the intended murders as well as the time and the date. And he gave them the name of the street where they could find him.

And there was a personal reason for the name Jack the Ripper. I will get back to that later.

Regards, Pierre
                    But this is all highly speculative. And none of what was predicted actually occurred. For instance, as Steve has pointed out there were no murders in The Minories. And no victim was killed at midnight.

And to which Prince/King William do you refer? And why is this remotely relevant?
                    Last edited by John G; 09-28-2016, 02:30 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Pierre;393837]
                      Originally posted by David Orsam View Post

My dear Pierre

May one respectfully ask why the claims are still being made that cannot be sustained about this letter.

The letter is wholly without provenance and therefore of no historical value.

Steve

Comment

John

The claim is that the killer was renting rooms near the Strand, this was posted a few months ago.
                        It allowed the killer to carry out the Whitehall murder, speak to John Arnold about the Pinchin street case and was a second bolt hole, he also having one in Whitechapel.

Of course no data was provided to back these claims.

Comment

John

The claim is that the killer was renting rooms near the Strand, this was posted a few months ago.
                          It allowed the killer to carry out the Whitehall murder, speak to John Arnold about the Pinchin street case and was a second bolt hole, he also having one in Whitechapel.

Thanks Steve. Obviously another ridiculously convoluted theory. Frankly, using this approach you could argue in favour of virtually anything.

It seems Pierre is a niche historian, and supporting data doesn't seem to be very important to this particular "academic" discipline-just wild, unsupported theories!
                          Last edited by John G; 09-28-2016, 02:42 PM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Elamarna;393848]

My dear Pierre

May one respectfully ask why the claims are still being made that cannot be sustained about this letter.

The letter is wholly without provenance and therefore of no historical value.

Steve
                            Because it's what Pierre does.
                            G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

John

Careful Steve you used the word that the great one relies on.
                              G U T

Comment

Originally posted by GUT View Post
                                Careful Steve you used the word that the great one relies on.
                                Actually he relies on mentioning the word, but rarely gives details and even rarer the actual source unless they can be found on this site

s

Comment

Working...
                                X