X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abby Normal
    replied
    Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
    Still waiting for The Rookie Detective’s deciphered hidden message....

I believe Dear Boss to be from JtR, but the only real clue is probably that he is not a doctor.

Other vague inferences is he’s stable lower class but not lowest, and deeply religious (if one includes the Moab and midian letter).
    hi kattrup
    i lean towrd dear boss and saucy jack being authentic too. not sure about moab though, its provenance, is a little sketchy. i agree with your clues, but i think one can glean a bit more from them. I would add it shows some one with a bit of self depreciating sense of humor, a local, someone obsessed with knives (ive always thought the rippers main motivation was a fascination with the knife and what it could do to the female boy), sense of superiority (over both police and his victims), controlling type personality and added to what caused the the first one squealed a bit statement, an anti semitic (or at least someone that was angry or jealous of jews).

oh and we wont be hearing from rookie, he/ she disapeared when outed as pierre and i think also got distracted obsessed with haile rubenhold tweets.

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    That’s the one Kattrup cheers

I thought I’d entered The Twilight Zone

Leave a comment:

• Kattrup
    replied
    Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
    This is weird. Has this thread been reduced as I could have sworn that it was longer and that I’d posted on it?
    Perhaps you’re thinking of TRD’s other thread https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...letter-decoded

Leave a comment:

• Herlock Sholmes
    replied
    This is weird. Has this thread been reduced as I could have sworn that it was longer and that I’d posted on it?

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied

If you won’t hold mine, I won’t hold yours either
    And yes, I know the OP has left without enlightening us. I don’t feel confident the hidden message would have been universally accepted anyway, so maybe it’s for the best.
    Good Lord, if it was anything like the cryptic clues in the letter about the Lord Mayor's Show.

Leave a comment:

• Kattrup
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

The RD has stopped posting, right about the time this thread started, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

- Jeff
    If you won’t hold mine, I won’t hold yours either
    And yes, I know the OP has left without enlightening us. I don’t feel confident the hidden message would have been universally accepted anyway, so maybe it’s for the best.

Leave a comment:

• Spider
    replied
    Originally posted by erobitha View Post

There has been much scientific analysis of all the letters linguistics. In my view the most robust study of 209 letters is this one by Dr Andrea Nini of Manchester University who draws the conclusion that "Dear Boss", "Saucy Jack" & "Moab and Midian" are by the same hand but the "From Hell" letter is not. If you are fond of a comprehensive scientific analysis of linguistics you can read more here https://academic.oup.com/dsh/advance...fqx065/4824843 So either we have a serial faker or is indeed Jack. The first two are interesting because it includes details only known by the killer or the police. I would be inclined to agree with the opinion of the time and subsequently by others since, that these are fakes written by an enterprising journalist with an inside mole at the police.

This study for some reason does not include the "Dr Openshaw" letter which I believe was written by the same hand as the "From Hell" letter. I believe these letters to be genuine.
    I would concur with Dr Andrea Nini (or rather she concurs with me) regarding "Dear Boss", "Saucy Jack" & "Moab and Midian" being by the same hand and the "From Hell" letter not.
    The circumstances of the "Moab and Midian" letter is somewhat unusual in that it was allegedly received by Thomas J. Bulling of the Central News Agency on Friday 5th October 1888. T. J. Bulling sent a transcribed copy of the letter to Chief Constable Williamson along with the original envelope in which the letter was received. Bulling pointed out that the handwriting on the envelope was the same as that on previous communications. What became of the original letter itself is unknown.
    You'll notice that because of the above circumstances Nini states it as written "by the same hand" as opposed to 'in' the same hand, as the handwriting is obviously not indicative of the writer, only the text.
    I would identify that there are twenty communications written by Jack the Ripper, all of which contain clues to the killers identity, some quite simple others not so and a few probable.
    Last edited by Spider; 02-18-2020, 07:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Al Bundy's Eyes
    replied
    Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

The RD has stopped posting, right about the time this thread started, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

- Jeff
    He/She was too busy hassling Hallie Rubenhold on Twitter.

Leave a comment:

• JeffHamm
    replied

I believe Dear Boss to be from JtR, but the only real clue is probably that he is not a doctor.

Other vague inferences is he’s stable lower class but not lowest, and deeply religious (if one includes the Moab and midian letter).

- Jeff

Leave a comment:

• Kattrup
    replied

Leave a comment:

• erobitha
    replied
    Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post
    I believe that the Dear Boss, Saucy JAck and From Hell letters all to be authentic and to contain important clues which we need to try and decipher.

I have recently decoded a hidden message in the From Hell letter and am planning to post my findings on a separate thread which i have just started

The Rookie Detective
    There has been much scientific analysis of all the letters linguistics. In my view the most robust study of 209 letters is this one by Dr Andrea Nini of Manchester University who draws the conclusion that "Dear Boss", "Saucy Jack" & "Moab and Midian" are by the same hand but the "From Hell" letter is not. If you are fond of a comprehensive scientific analysis of linguistics you can read more here https://academic.oup.com/dsh/advance...fqx065/4824843 So either we have a serial faker or is indeed Jack. The first two are inetresting because it includes details only known by the killer or the police. I would be inclined to agree with the opinion of the time and susequently by others since, that these are fakes written by an enterprising journalist with an inside mole at the police.

This study for some reason does not include the "Dr Openshaw" letter which I believe was wrtitten by the same hand as the "From Hell" letter. I believe these letters to be genuine.

Leave a comment:

• Spider
    replied
    Assuming that the Dear Boss letter is authentic...

Does the letter itself contain clues to the identity of the killer?

Thiughts please?

the Rookie Detective
    Yes, I believe so.

Leave a comment:

• The Rookie Detective
    replied
    I believe that the Dear Boss, Saucy JAck and From Hell letters all to be authentic and to contain important clues which we need to try and decipher.

I have recently decoded a hidden message in the From Hell letter and am planning to post my findings on a separate thread which i have just started

The Rookie Detective

Leave a comment:

• Michael W Richards
    replied
    It reveals that the author was likely Irish...thats about it. There is no information in that letter, or any letter, that contains information that ONLY the police knew, which might have led credence to your inquiry.

Leave a comment:

• phantom
    replied
    Assuming that the Dear Boss letter is authentic...

Does the letter itself contain clues to the identity of the killer?

Thiughts please?

the Rookie Detective
    Hi RD

Some people have argued that it does.

For instance author James Tully floats the idea that “Don’t mind me giving the Trade Name” and “Jack the Ripper” are references by his suspect James Kelly to his occupation of upholsterer and ‘ripping’ chisel.

Personally, I think that if the letter is genuine, the biggest and maybe only clue to his identity would be the handwriting.

The text i.e. the American slang, rejecting the doctor theory etc. could go either way – they could be true sentiments or it could be a bluff.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X