Dear Boss letter clues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear Boss letter clues

Assuming that the Dear Boss letter is authentic...

Does the letter itself contain clues to the identity of the killer?

Thiughts please?

the Rookie Detective
    "Great minds, don't think alike"

Nope.
    G U T

There are two ways to be fooled, one is to believe what isn't true, the other is to refuse to believe that which is true.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rookie Detective View Post

Thiughts please?

the Rookie Detective
      Hi RD

Some people have argued that it does.

For instance author James Tully floats the idea that “Don’t mind me giving the Trade Name” and “Jack the Ripper” are references by his suspect James Kelly to his occupation of upholsterer and ‘ripping’ chisel.

Personally, I think that if the letter is genuine, the biggest and maybe only clue to his identity would be the handwriting.

The text i.e. the American slang, rejecting the doctor theory etc. could go either way – they could be true sentiments or it could be a bluff.

Comment

It reveals that the author was likely Irish...thats about it. There is no information in that letter, or any letter, that contains information that ONLY the police knew, which might have led credence to your inquiry.
        Michael Richards

Comment

I believe that the Dear Boss, Saucy JAck and From Hell letters all to be authentic and to contain important clues which we need to try and decipher.

I have recently decoded a hidden message in the From Hell letter and am planning to post my findings on a separate thread which i have just started

The Rookie Detective
          "Great minds, don't think alike"

Comment

Thiughts please?

the Rookie Detective
            Yes, I believe so.
            ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I believe that the Dear Boss, Saucy JAck and From Hell letters all to be authentic and to contain important clues which we need to try and decipher.

I have recently decoded a hidden message in the From Hell letter and am planning to post my findings on a separate thread which i have just started

The Rookie Detective
              There has been much scientific analysis of all the letters linguistics. In my view the most robust study of 209 letters is this one by Dr Andrea Nini of Manchester University who draws the conclusion that "Dear Boss", "Saucy Jack" & "Moab and Midian" are by the same hand but the "From Hell" letter is not. If you are fond of a comprehensive scientific analysis of linguistics you can read more here https://academic.oup.com/dsh/advance...fqx065/4824843 So either we have a serial faker or is indeed Jack. The first two are inetresting because it includes details only known by the killer or the police. I would be inclined to agree with the opinion of the time and susequently by others since, that these are fakes written by an enterprising journalist with an inside mole at the police.

This study for some reason does not include the "Dr Openshaw" letter which I believe was wrtitten by the same hand as the "From Hell" letter. I believe these letters to be genuine.
              Author of 'Jack the Ripper: Threads' out now on Amazon > UK | USA | CA | AUS
              JayHartley.com

Comment

Still waiting for The Rookie Detective’s deciphered hidden message....

I believe Dear Boss to be from JtR, but the only real clue is probably that he is not a doctor.

Other vague inferences is he’s stable lower class but not lowest, and deeply religious (if one includes the Moab and midian letter).

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
                  Still waiting for The Rookie Detective’s deciphered hidden message....

I believe Dear Boss to be from JtR, but the only real clue is probably that he is not a doctor.

Other vague inferences is he’s stable lower class but not lowest, and deeply religious (if one includes the Moab and midian letter).
                  The RD has stopped posting, right about the time this thread started, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

- Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

The RD has stopped posting, right about the time this thread started, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

- Jeff
                    He/She was too busy hassling Hallie Rubenhold on Twitter.
                    Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

Originally posted by erobitha View Post

There has been much scientific analysis of all the letters linguistics. In my view the most robust study of 209 letters is this one by Dr Andrea Nini of Manchester University who draws the conclusion that "Dear Boss", "Saucy Jack" & "Moab and Midian" are by the same hand but the "From Hell" letter is not. If you are fond of a comprehensive scientific analysis of linguistics you can read more here https://academic.oup.com/dsh/advance...fqx065/4824843 So either we have a serial faker or is indeed Jack. The first two are interesting because it includes details only known by the killer or the police. I would be inclined to agree with the opinion of the time and subsequently by others since, that these are fakes written by an enterprising journalist with an inside mole at the police.

This study for some reason does not include the "Dr Openshaw" letter which I believe was written by the same hand as the "From Hell" letter. I believe these letters to be genuine.
                      I would concur with Dr Andrea Nini (or rather she concurs with me) regarding "Dear Boss", "Saucy Jack" & "Moab and Midian" being by the same hand and the "From Hell" letter not.
                      The circumstances of the "Moab and Midian" letter is somewhat unusual in that it was allegedly received by Thomas J. Bulling of the Central News Agency on Friday 5th October 1888. T. J. Bulling sent a transcribed copy of the letter to Chief Constable Williamson along with the original envelope in which the letter was received. Bulling pointed out that the handwriting on the envelope was the same as that on previous communications. What became of the original letter itself is unknown.
                      You'll notice that because of the above circumstances Nini states it as written "by the same hand" as opposed to 'in' the same hand, as the handwriting is obviously not indicative of the writer, only the text.
                      I would identify that there are twenty communications written by Jack the Ripper, all of which contain clues to the killers identity, some quite simple others not so and a few probable.
                      Last edited by Spider; 02-18-2020, 07:07 AM.
                      ‘There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact’ Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by JeffHamm View Post

- Jeff
                        If you won’t hold mine, I won’t hold yours either
                        And yes, I know the OP has left without enlightening us. I don’t feel confident the hidden message would have been universally accepted anyway, so maybe it’s for the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

If you won’t hold mine, I won’t hold yours either
                          And yes, I know the OP has left without enlightening us. I don’t feel confident the hidden message would have been universally accepted anyway, so maybe it’s for the best.
                          Good Lord, if it was anything like the cryptic clues in the letter about the Lord Mayor's Show.
                          Thems the Vagaries.....

Comment

This is weird. Has this thread been reduced as I could have sworn that it was longer and that I’d posted on it?
                            Regards

Sir Herlock Sholmes.

“A house of delusions is cheap to build but draughty to live in.”

Comment

Originally posted by Herlock Sholmes View Post
                              This is weird. Has this thread been reduced as I could have sworn that it was longer and that I’d posted on it?
                              Perhaps you’re thinking of TRD’s other thread https://forum.casebook.org/forum/rip...letter-decoded

Comment

Working...
                              X