Dear Boss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• deep penetration

Hello Spiro. Yes, I noticed that lovely photograph you had found. I'm delighted that he can be connected with the Balfour plot.

The remarkable thing about Tynan is that--even when discovered--almost no one could believe it was he. He made the obligatory remarks about the Irish and even wore his primrose pin. Seemingly an anti-home rule Tory to the core.

Now THAT'S deep penetration!

Cheers.
    LC

Comment

• Hi all

Some more thoughts on Dear Boss from me this morning on my blog here at Casebook:

Those Forced Ha Ha's

Cheers

Chris
      Christopher T. George
      Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conference
      just held in Baltimore, April 7-8, 2018.
      For information about RipperCon, go to http://rippercon.com/
      RipperCon 2018 talks can now be heard at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/

Comment

• Central News on Disputes at Scotland Yard

Was this written by Bulling?

The Belfast News-Letter (Belfast, Ireland), Wednesday, September 5, 1888

Click image for larger version

Name:	jtr-blBelfastNews-Letter18880905.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	276.5 KB
ID:	664647

Comment

• Was this written by Bulling?
          Hi, Tradename.

I've no idea, but I'm intrigued as to why you've asked the question.

Regards, Bridewell.
          I won't always agree but I'll try not to be disagreeable.

Comment

• Bridewell,

The Littlechild letter says Bulling was close to Monro. So I wonder if Bulling wrote this, and if Monro was a source for it.

Comment

• I can recall the Littlechild letter saying something like nobody else got concessions from the police like "Bullen"...is that what you're referring to?

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Dave,

Yes, T. J. Bulling.

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                I can recall the Littlechild letter saying something like nobody else got concessions from the police like "Bullen"...is that what you're referring to?

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Hi Trade

But I can't recall the Littlechild letter suggesting a direct link between "Bullen" and Monro...as I recall it merely implies Bulling was close to the pokice generally. Is there some other source?

Every good wish

Dave

Comment

• Link to Munro

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
                    Hi Trade

But I can't recall the Littlechild letter suggesting a direct link between "Bullen" and Monro...as I recall it merely implies Bulling was close to the pokice generally. Is there some other source?

Every good wish

Dave
                    Hi Dave,

There's an implied link to Munro himself as I read it:

"With regard to the term 'Jack the Ripper' it was generally believed at the Yard that Tom Bullen of the Central News was the originator, but it is probable Moore, who was his chief, was the inventor. It was a smart piece of journalistic work. No journalist of my time got such privileges from Scotland Yard as Bullen. Mr James Munro when Assistant Commissioner, and afterwards Commissioner, relied on his integrity.....

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bridewell View Post
                      Hi Dave,

There's an implied link to Munro himself as I read it:

"With regard to the term 'Jack the Ripper' it was generally believed at the Yard that Tom Bullen of the Central News was the originator, but it is probable Moore, who was his chief, was the inventor. It was a smart piece of journalistic work. No journalist of my time got such privileges from Scotland Yard as Bullen. Mr James Munro when Assistant Commissioner, and afterwards Commissioner, relied on his integrity.....

Regards, Bridewell.
                      Yes, that's the quote I'm thinking of.

Thanks.

Comment

• OK, says he, cautiously...

Dave

Comment

• What (If Anything) Did Littlechild Know?

No journalist of my time got such privileges from Scotland Yard as Bullen. Mr James Munro when Assistant Commissioner, and afterwards Commissioner, relied on his integrity.....
                          I have to wonder how Littlechild knew what privileges Bullen did, or did not, get from Monro. A Chief Inspector wouldn't ordinarily have such detailed knowledge (then or now) of the actions of an Assistant Commissioner - unless Bullen was of interest to Special Branch for some reason, in which case the nature of his relationship with such a senior officer might be discreetly examined. (Pure hypothesis - nothing more).

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

• Thanks Colin

Yes, hence my caution...you express it so much more eloquently than I ever could...

It's a very interesting concept though that post-Ripper at least, Scotland Yard at the highest level was probably leaking like a sieve, and there's Anderson (himself leaking stuff away like mad and risking his pension in doing so) virtuously stating that it would be contrary to the traditions of the service...

Anderson, MacNaghten and now Monro too? Not to mention Littlechild and Abberline...was Swanson the only one who didn't?

All the best

Dave

Comment

• Swanson

Anderson, MacNaghten and now Monro too? Not to mention Littlechild and Abberline...was Swanson the only one who didn't?
                              Hi Dave,

I suspect not. Anderson didn't name his Polish Jew in 1910 when The Lighter Side of My Official Life was published, but the name was entered by DSS in his own copy of the book. I speculate that this was done after 1919 when Aaron Kosminski was dead and buried.

Regards, Bridewell.

Comment

• Hi Colin

I was actually making a back-handed reference to the 1910 press conference called outside Andersons House, (regarding the Parnell affair) that led to Winnie reviewing his pension rights...then just three years later in Days of my Years he has the infernal gall to say it would be against the traditions etc etc...

All the best

Dave

Comment

Working...
                                X