An experiment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pcdunn View Post
    Junkers. (Prussian nobles, not German aircraft-- or junk dealers, I suppose.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Junker
    It canīt be, since it ends not as Halse stated, -es, but -ers.

We must do as little damage to the word as possible and remove just the wrong letter.

Regards, Pierre

Halse stated that the word was Juwes.

Ju- is a common word stem, Juw- is not a common word stem, -es is a normal plural ending. So the only letter making the word incorrect is w.

It will be interesting to see Davidīs substitute for that wrong letter, w.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

• Jubes?

Comment

• Where Pierre will attack this word is in its length, as it contains more than five letters. But then so does Judges.

If the word that everyone had seen on the wall had been "Juewes" I could definitely see my word being confused with this at a glance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
          I was going to say jurors
          Or juries, that would look similar to juwes when written

Comment

• Originally posted by Pierre View Post
            It canīt be, since it ends not as Halse stated, -es, but -ers.

We must do as little damage to the word as possible and remove just the wrong letter.

Regards, Pierre

Halse stated that the word was Juwes.

Ju- is a common word stem, Juw- is not a common word stem, -es is a normal plural ending. So the only letter making the word incorrect is w.

It will be interesting to see Davidīs substitute for that wrong letter, w.

Regards, Pierre
            You substituted two letters, d and g which, together in normal script, look nothing like a w.

Comment

• Not jubes or juries.

Comment

• Originally posted by Abby Normal View Post
                Junkies? Not sure if that was a word back then.
                Ju - nki - es gives as much as three letters in the middle.

Ju - w - es is worth two letters in the middle. It is a double v.

Regards, Pierre

Comment

Ju - nki - es gives as much as three letters in the middle.

Ju - w - es is worth two letters in the middle. It is a double v.

Regards, Pierre
                  It depends on how it's written though doesn't it Pierre? There are no rules here about the exact number of letters. Like you have said, it was a dark night, small writing in chalk on a rough surface.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Orsam View Post
                    You substituted two letters, d and g which, together in normal script, look nothing like a w.
                    The GSG was not a "normal script".

It was blurred.
                    It was written under specific circumstances on a brick wall.
                    It was not read under normal circumstances.

I donīt give a **** about the GSG. Believe me. And I donīt care about the killer. I just go where the sources take me.

Looking forward to seeing your new word tomorrow!

Regards, Pierre

Comment

The GSG was not a "normal script".
                      Yes it was actually. As per the evidence of Detective Halse at the inquest.

As for the rest:

It was blurred - Not according to any witnesses but it might well not have been sharp due the diffusion of the chalk on the rough surface, which is probably what Swanson meant.

It was written under specific circumstances on a brick wall - Yes, certainly.

It was not read under normal circumstances - No, true enough.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing your new word tomorrow!
                        And you certainly will.

Comment

• What about "jacks" (small "j") meaning "fellows" or "sailors" -- as well as any unknown or anonymous men?

After this is rejected, I will respectfully retire from the contest, and tune in tomorrow.
                          Pat D. https://forum.casebook.org/core/imag...rt/reading.gif
                          ---------------
                          Von Konigswald: Jack the Ripper plays shuffleboard. -- Happy Birthday, Wanda June by Kurt Vonnegut, c.1970.
                          ---------------

Comment

What about "jacks" (small "j") meaning "fellows" or "sailors" -- as well as any unknown or anonymous men?

After this is rejected, I will respectfully retire from the contest, and tune in tomorrow.
                            Jacks also refers to policemen. Which Pierre would like.

Comment

What about "jacks" (small "j") meaning "fellows" or "sailors" -- as well as any unknown or anonymous men?

REJECTED

See you tomorrow!

Comment

• Jilted.
                                A little bit of a stretch with the capital D that could resemble an S

Comment

Working...
                                X